The Final 5, NEED HELP DECIDING!
Oct 1, 2009 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

whiteleaf

100+ Head-Fier
Ok so about 3 or 4 days ago I started a thread asking what were the best cans I could use as an upgrade to my Bose "around the ear" headphones. I'm at swim meets a ton, and use them A TON at home, so a closed design was prefered.
I wanted a great bass, good overall quality, good isolation, price tag prefererably under or at $400.

Well with the responses I've gotten, and with research I've done I've come to a final 5. I just wanted to hear what you guys had to say about them, which you prefer, which you think shouldn't even be in the list, or what should be here.

As a reminder, I mainly listen to trance, and electronic music (and some rock) so that may sway what you think is best.

Here are my final 5 (not in any specific order):

AKG K 272
Denon AH-D2000
Ultrasone Pro 750
DT440 (their open but I was hoping they'd still be fine in a loud environment.)
M-Audio Q40

(and if DT440s wouldn't do well in loud environment or if there is another problem then it'd be these: Sennheiser HD 448)

Like I said opinions on these would be great and if I should consider others or take some of these out tell me.

Thanks
k701smile.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 43
I would probably go with the Ultrasone Pro 750's they provide good isolation, bass, and they are pretty solidly built. Even though i have the d2000 i wouldn't recommend them for portable use since they don't really feel like they could take a lot of abuse and they are pretty big.

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 43
I'd go for the Pro 750.
They'd be a great upgrade to your existing phones.
They benefit from an amp, but you can use them from an iPod with decent results, and using an Ultrasone ipod cable, that would make the phones quite portable.
Bass and isolation, and build are all very good imo.

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteleaf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a reminder, I mainly listen to trance, and electronic music (and some rock) so that may sway what you think is best.

Definitely the Ultrasone Pro 750 out of the bunch, also take a look at HFI-780... I'd say the 780 is for electronic and the 680 is more geared towards rock.

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #6 of 43
i've had all but the q40

AKG K 272 -not for u- not much bass, very hard to drive, mainly for monitor work
Denon AH-D2000 - love these
Ultrasone Pro 750 - not much bass unless well amped
DT440 - same as above but funny sounding, bass doesnt extend deep

all of these are large. the hfi-780 recommendation is a good one

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #7 of 43
I would lean toward either the Denons or Ultrasones for electronic, and if you're moving the Ultrasones are the better choice since they clamp more tightly. HOWEVER, I warn you that I find the Ultrasones unnatural for anything other than electronic since their mids are heavily recessed.

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #8 of 43
Denon AH-D2000

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 43
I'm really leaning to the Ultrasone's Pro 750s....I tend to like them the more and more i read about them.

Anyone know of a place I can listen to them, or will my only option be to get them off the internet? This would apply to the others, cause I haven't made a final decision.

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #10 of 43
I have the K272 and the Denon2000, The K272 is the better behaved one if you're going to be walking around with headphones. The Denon2000 tends to slip off my head when I move.

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #11 of 43
ok...so I said I was leaning toward the Pro 750s...but because of this one rather annoying comment I'm not sure. Could you guys help me out with this. Here is the comment from a "professional reviewer" on dealtime.co/uk

"These are a flat response set of headphones which means whatever sound is on your media (CD, MP3, etc.) you will hear exactly like it is, no augmentation. MOST CONSUMER HEADPHONES, SPEAKERS, ETC. BOOST THE HIGHS AND LOWS!! You probably will not recognize your music. I could even hear faintly in the background before a track started the recording engineer say ‘tape rolling’ which is virtually inaudible on all my consumer gear! NOW, that does not say your music will sound bad…ABSOLUTELY NOT…it’s going to sound DIFFERENT.These headphones will make your MP3s sound like junk! MP3s are not an accurate representation of the original sound waveform."

There, kinda long I know but it's borthering me...cause i planned on mainly using them for my ipod. Does this affect me much??? This is very important, my whole life may be affected by this!!! 0_o

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #15 of 43
Encode your music to Apples Lossless on your ipod. The Pro 750 sound great. The lower bit rate Mp3s will sound very good as well... but then I hope you have encoded at the highest bit rate possible ( 320 ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back