The Final 5, NEED HELP DECIDING!
Oct 1, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #16 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteleaf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok...so I said I was leaning toward the Pro 750s...but because of this one rather annoying comment I'm not sure. Could you guys help me out with this. Here is the comment from a "professional reviewer" on dealtime.co/uk

"These are a flat response set of headphones which means whatever sound is on your media (CD, MP3, etc.) you will hear exactly like it is, no augmentation. MOST CONSUMER HEADPHONES, SPEAKERS, ETC. BOOST THE HIGHS AND LOWS!! You probably will not recognize your music. I could even hear faintly in the background before a track started the recording engineer say ‘tape rolling’ which is virtually inaudible on all my consumer gear! NOW, that does not say your music will sound bad…ABSOLUTELY NOT…it’s going to sound DIFFERENT.These headphones will make your MP3s sound like junk! MP3s are not an accurate representation of the original sound waveform."

There, kinda long I know but it's borthering me...cause i planned on mainly using them for my ipod. Does this affect me much??? This is very important, my whole life may be affected by this!!! 0_o

The Pro 750s are a professional studio headphone (designed to hear all the little details) so yes, if your gear is good enough you will experience the same as the review. This is why I went with the Proline 650. I now have the Pro 900 and highly recommend them.

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #17 of 43
BTW...if it is not too late to add another phone into the mix...I highly recommend the HD 25 I II. Portable, bulletproof, and sounds awesome. On ear rather than over ear, but isolation is top notch. Great cans for on the go. Not to be confused with the HD 25 SP.

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

These headphones will make your MP3s sound like junk! MP3s are not an accurate representation of the original sound waveform."

That's a complete and utter lie. High bitrate mp3's are generally transparent (starting at somewhere between v5 and v0 and varying person to person and by music type and listening device) and I strongly doubt you'll hear noticeable and bothersome artifacts from >200kbps mp3's.

Oct 1, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #19 of 43
Alright thanks, I'll be sure to check on the Sennheisers again and the Shures that were mentioned.

Oct 1, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #20 of 43
most of my CD downloaded songs are at the 320 bit rate, but alot of my songs off the internet and itunes are either 256 or 128, but mainly 256...

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #21 of 43
I didn't use to care too much about the bitrate of an MP3 and didn't really bother with FLAC at all until I got my Ultrasones, now 320 is the minimum I'll even download for free... I rip all my CDs to FLAC and filled up a 500GB drive very quickly. There is quite a noticeable difference between say 256/320 and FLAC, namely vocal and symbol extension will have a slight crackle, perhaps a few other nuances here and there that you could easily miss... it's kinda like a paper cut, it doesn't hurt until you know it's there.

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #22 of 43
Yea, I'll probably notice it at some point; if I'm listening to music I try to hear every little detail, especially in trance music.
I can easily make the 128 songs 256 by converting them into AAC, but it's annoying cause then I have to delete the song in the old format (converting just creates the song again with the 256 bit rate [in itunes])
Is there any way I can make my 256 bit rate songs to 320???

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Yea, I'll probably notice it at some point; if I'm listening to music I try to hear every little detail, especially in trance music.
I can easily make the 128 songs 256 by converting them into AAC, but it's annoying cause then I have to delete the song in the old format (converting just creates the song again with the 256 bit rate [in itunes])
Is there any way I can make my 256 bit rate songs to 320???

Well, first of all, I must be sick, because I find it amusing you're trying to find detail in predominantly-made electronic music.
tongue.gif

You can't up-convert songs also; you're just filling the file with empty 0s and 1s.

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, first of all, I must be sick, because I find it amusing you're trying to find detail in predominantly-made electronic music.
tongue.gif

You can't up-convert songs also; you're just filling the file with empty 0s and 1s.

Believe me, if you listen and get into it, there is A TON of detail in electronic. It's all in the subtleties. The way certain notes start to appear, and how the song builds.
A lot of my peers say its just boring repetitive music, but they don't LISTEN for it, the song does have repetition but notes have there way of sneaking in and making the song grow. So yes there is detail...HOWEVER

I can agree there may not be as much detail as there would be in some genres of music.

O and when I did the convert thing in itunes from 128 with some file type to AAC file, i checked the info and details and what not and the bit rate was different. It was 256...maybe it's lying and means nothing...o well

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #25 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

Just an FYI for ya... 'electronic' music is recorded better than any other genre simply because it's digital. I like just about every genre of music (apart from country and rap) and use a few of my electronic albums when listening for details. In fact I'll go as far to say I find it hard to find a well recorded piece of classical music, rock is just a blur and half these pop records are recorded too loud and distort.

Oct 2, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

O and when I did the convert thing in itunes from 128 with some file type to AAC file, i checked the info and details and what not and the bit rate was different. It was 256...maybe it's lying and means nothing...o well

OK, I will try to explain this. Once the music is ripped into 128 bits, the damage is already done. You can't recover the lost detail by converting it up to a higher bit rate. The new file will be 256 bits, but it will still have all the flaws of the 128 bit file you started with.

Oct 2, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #27 of 43
ok thanks.

Guys recommendations on those headphones listed would be great especially now that Im really leaning toward the pro 750s, somebody in another thread said the HFI 780s were better for trance and listening in general, a lot of you guys said the 750s were great cause of the one the go fold up and great bass (and overall sound quality)

Oct 2, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #28 of 43
SRH440 is always THE value for money headphone. Please do give them a listen first. Unamped they sound livelier than the 840. And some say SRH440 with 840 pads is the awesomeness.

Oct 2, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

"These are a flat response set of headphones which means whatever sound is on your media (CD, MP3, etc.) you will hear exactly like it is, no augmentation. MOST CONSUMER HEADPHONES, SPEAKERS, ETC. BOOST THE HIGHS AND LOWS!! You probably will not recognize your music. I could even hear faintly in the background before a track started the recording engineer say ‘tape rolling’ which is virtually inaudible on all my consumer gear! NOW, that does not say your music will sound bad…ABSOLUTELY NOT…it’s going to sound DIFFERENT.These headphones will make your MP3s sound like junk! MP3s are not an accurate representation of the original sound waveform."

1. Dont put too much stock in reviews, professional or otherwise. It might be different if we all had the same ears and musical tastes

2. The comments above mirror what you will read about the HD800/K1000 and other high-end cans. Comes down to whether you want max transparency to your source or not. If you were making consumer audio, would you not tune your product to ensure that consumers like what they hear. Personally, it doesnt worry me.

3. Ultimately, you are going to have to hear your choice at some stage - I buy from a retailer who allows me to return phones within 20 days for credit on a different pair if I'm not happy - I suggest you do the same if you cant audition the cans you want.

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #30 of 43
Anyone know what stores or type of stores would let me do that or at least have a variety of headphones r me o listen to?Cause franchise type stores like bestbuy don't have anything of value nor can I demo them for X amount of days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back