The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Mar 11, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #5,311 of 7,793
Mar 11, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #5,312 of 7,793
  I have searched all over and cannot find any definitive answer on what software is good for managing music and files on the X1?  I was copying right out of iTunes and while that worked fine, everything was in a big messy file list in windows explorer.. hardly the way that I want to manage thousands of songs on the card.  

By chance I found out that WinAmp allows you to manage music on an SD card similar to how iTunes does (it'll do the transcoding of higher bitrate stuff to lower, organize it into folders, etc)  BUT now my X1 completely locks up while it updates the media library and always gets stuck on the same or close to the same song  (No. 1419)  which isn't very helpful.  

So, what on earth are people using to manage a large library with the X1??  I am really liking WinAmp but if it locks up my device when I try to update the library then all of its convenience is useless  
confused_face_2.gif

I don't know what type of computer you are using, but I use a windows pc.  I use windows media player to sync and organize all my music.  I don't use it for playlist because the X1 doesn't recognize them.  I don't create playlist any way, but if I were going to, I would use fubar2000.  I prefer all my music organized by artist folders, with album folders within each artist folder.  I don't have any experience with flac or any other HD tracks.  I strictly use MP3's (320 mostly with a handful of 192 to 256).  Windows media player works great for this and I've never had my X1 lock up while updating the library.  I tried winamp a year ago and had problems with it and syncing to my sansa fuse and clip.  Never tried it with the X1, but I'm happy with WMP.  I have a pretty big music collection (over 120gigs) and WMP does just what I needed it to do to organize it all on my X1. 

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #5,316 of 7,793

Ever since I've gotten my music out of iTunes, I've been using JRiver Media Center to manage all of my music, which currently consists of 29,784 FLAC and mp3 files.  All of the music is put away nicely into folders and I've had no issues.  I eventually went back to my CDs and re-ripped them all into FLAC files using dBpoweramp CD Ripper, which also comes with a batch converter, as well, which is super easy to use.  I then just hook the X1 up to my laptop and drag & drop the files from my main music folder onto the microSD card that's inside the X1.

I'll also add that my folder hierarchy goes something like this... main music folder/artist name/album name with year/song track names (i.e. Music Collection/Mudhoney/1991 - Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge/).  I set up the same hierarchy in dBpoweramp for when I'm ripping CDs and for when I do batch file converts.  So, I was easily able to take all of the mp3 files downloaded from various music blogs over the years that had various structural formats and batch convert them all into the hierarchy format that I prefer.

Thank you for recommending JRiver Media Center.  I didn't even know it existed.  I am trying it out now and it seems just as fully featured as WinAmp but with EVEN MORE features.  I'm going to mess with it and see if it will work for me.  The really crappy thing about all of this is that I am an iPhone and iPad user as well.. with lots money invested in their Apps, Games, Music (which is DRM free so that isn't the biggest issue)  but it seems that if I could do away with Apple and iOS stuff that I could even get rid of the X1 and use the 128GB SD card I have with one of the real swanky new droid phones... but that is a whole other personal issue haha.

Mar 11, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #5,318 of 7,793
I currently have a rockboxed ipod 5.5. Would this be an upgrade in sound quality? Thanks!

I have a rockboxed Ipod Classic, the X1 and the Dragonfly USB DAC.

I'd rank them in that order of quality, Ipod lowest.
The Ipod classic isn't bad, but the X1 is better and you have more file type and storage options with extra micro sd cards. The Dragonfly is the best but it is not portable,

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #5,319 of 7,793
  Fiio have released firmware version 1.3 for the X1 ...

http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40257

I'm very pleased with the sound of this FW update. It's now very similar to the sound of the X3. (I found the previous FWs to be too harshly bright.)

Now it's close enough that I can use the "Custom" setting in the equalizer to approximate the treble and bass settings of the X3. (I don't really like the equalizer on the X3.)

Lovers of classical (and acoustic sounds in general) especially, might want to check it out.

Mar 11, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #5,320 of 7,793

I'm very pleased with the sound of this FW update. It's now very similar to the sound of the X3. (I found the previous FWs to be too harshly bright.)

Now it's close enough that I can use the "Custom" setting in the equalizer to approximate the treble and bass settings of the X3. (I don't really like the equalizer on the X3.)

Lovers of classical (and acoustic sounds in general) especially, might want to check it out.

I haven't been able to listen to my Fiio since firmware 1.3, as I sent my earphones off for custom sleeves a fortnight ago, and still waiting to get them back.

Can anyone else confirm whether the firmware has really changed the sound?

Mar 11, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #5,321 of 7,793
  The track limit is just if you want to use the category mode though. You can still view all the files in file list mode and play any file.

Yes, I am aware of this, but that wasn't the other poster's question.  I don't use that method of play.  I always use the folder option since I listen to albums and not just individual random tracks.  I also never use play all functions... lol.  I'm fortunate that I can listen at work so I can listen to a lot of stuff in 8 hours. 

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #5,322 of 7,793

Yes, I am aware of this, but that wasn't the other poster's question.  I don't use that method of play.  I always use the folder option since I listen to albums and not just individual random tracks.  I also never use play all functions... lol.  I'm fortunate that I can listen at work so I can listen to a lot of stuff in 8 hours. 

As you probably also know, since the 1.3 update you can now play through folders, so that makes it easier to use the file view option rather than the category option. As long as you don't mind listening to the folders in the order they are in on your card.

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #5,323 of 7,793
I would be shocked if a firmware update changed the way anything sounded. I have lots of experience on the engineering/producing side of things and I am fully aware of the power of placebo effect. The Hi-Fi side of things is MOSTLY an afterthought for me. I'm a member of this thread because the Fiio X1 seems to be a higher quality and cheaper unit to an iPod classic. I up just want to be able to cram as much music as possible onto it. please do a blind ABX test before claiming or agreeing that a firmware update causes audible differences! :)

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #5,324 of 7,793
Yes. I've taken it a step further on my X5 and put the Artist folders under the corresponding alphabet letter folder. Browsing is so fast this way. I know it's a pain but if done right from the start it really doesn't add much time to the proccess, but pays off dividends when using the device. Of course you could use the categories feature as well, but as you are noticing the device is struggling with filtering through so many files at once on the card. This is typical of most devices the only difference is that unlike Apple these players don't organize things for you.

So, for the past day or two, I painstakingly organized my folders. I first did what you did and made it Alphabet Letter > Artist > Album. THEN I decided to be extra OCD and created genres folders. So, it goes respective Genre> Letter > Artist >Album. I did that because I don't know most of the music in my library and I feel this may be easier for me when I'm on shuffle. I also tend to listen to one specific genre in a time period. If only I was this organized with my homework :/ Thanks everyone! And btw, no I didn't use a tagging system yet. I need a break. I would only need one because I don't like seeing the track number before the song title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back