The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Feb 27, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #5,146 of 7,793
  I just got my K7xx this week. Testing it for the first time on the X1 (literally doing that at the time of this post), I can drive the K7xx without even reaching halfway volume. Depending on the song, I might switch anywhere from 34-42 on the volume meter (this is more dependent on how sensitive my ears are at the time).

Since I have barely used these K7xx's (less than 5 hours), I will refrain myself from describing the sound as my impressions will probably change once I settle in these headphones.

Thanks! I noticed you have a schiit stack. I know this is a really bad comparison, but how different does the K7XX sound from the Schiit stack vs the X1? Is it like noticeably worse from the X1? 

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #5,147 of 7,793
  Thanks! I noticed you have a schiit stack. I know this is a really bad comparison, but how different does the K7XX sound from the Schiit stack vs the X1? Is it like noticeably worse from the X1? 

I would like to use the X1 for longer before I'd make a detailed comparison, as I have only listened to the X1 for much less than a single hour. 
My source equipment is pretty limited to one desktop and the X1 vs. my phone, so I'd feel like someone else with more experience may better answer this question.

Another thing to note is that my portable setup is used in some pretty loud areas, like my bus that's much louder than the traffic in New York City (when the ambulance is stuck in a traffic jam). I'm sure my garbage truck is quieter since I don't notice that compared to my bus for my travel to school.

Doing a quick switch, I didn't notice anything very negative between the X1 and Schiit stack. However, I never really use the X1 at home, so I cannot really judge at this point.

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #5,148 of 7,793
Originally Posted by mamamia88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmm that works thanks.  But, seriously how would I know that unless you told me or I read the manual?  That needs to be a setting somewhere in the options. My opinion on all technology is if i need to RTFM then it's designed wrong. 

RTFM ! 
tongue.gif

Feb 28, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #5,149 of 7,793
  I just got my K7xx this week. Testing it for the first time on the X1 (literally doing that at the time of this post), I can drive the K7xx without even reaching halfway volume. Depending on the song, I might switch anywhere from 34-42 on the volume meter (this is more dependent on how sensitive my ears are at the time).

Do you live in an anechoic chamber?

My HD25s need volume >55 to reach a reasonable level indoors with no EQ, and my HD600s are more like >80.

Both of which are easier to drive than the K7xx.

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #5,150 of 7,793
  Do you live in an anechoic chamber?

My HD25s need volume >55 to reach a reasonable level indoors with no EQ, and my HD600s are more like >80.

Both of which are easier to drive than the K7xx.

Think it might depend on what he's listening to and how it is recorded.  With my X1, average listening volume (comfortable) with the HD600s is around 40-45.  With more dynamic (classical) I need to get around 55-60.  What are you listening to for it to be around 80?

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #5,151 of 7,793
Think it might depend on what he's listening to and how it is recorded.  With my X1, average listening volume (comfortable) with the HD600s is around 40-45.  With more dynamic (classical) I need to get around 55-60.  What are you listening to for it to be around 80?

Just your average modern, dynamically compressed stuff.

Using a sound meter app (not great I know, but it's all I've got to hand), the X1 drives the HD600 to 79dB @ 80 volume. Base ambient noise =18dB.

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #5,152 of 7,793
Just your average modern, dynamically compressed stuff.

Using a sound meter app (not great I know, but it's all I've got to hand), the X1 drives the HD600 to 79dB @ 80 volume. Base ambient noise =18dB.

Hmmm

HD600 here with X1 - listening to Wildlight's "Dawn To Flight" (average dynamically compressed indie) - using an iPhone 5S and dbmeter app

Volume 45/100 = SPL at 65-75 (comfortable) with peak at 79

At 80db its too loud for me to wear - consistently at 80-90dB with peaks in the 97-99 dB range
basshead.gif

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #5,153 of 7,793

Hmmm

HD600 here with X1 - listening to Wildlight's "Dawn To Flight" (average dynamically compressed indie) - using an iPhone 5S and dbmeter app

Volume 45/100 = SPL at 65-75 (comfortable) with peak at 79

At 80db its too loud for me to wear - consistently at 80-90dB with peaks in the 97-99 dB range
basshead.gif

Just did a further test - I played Mastodon's The Wolf is Loose (which is pretty much the most compressed track I could think of) at 45 volume and only got around 57-62 dB. 

The fact that we're using different apps and hardware to measure obviously makes comparison difficult however I can say that 65dB is not near loud enough for me, particularly seeing as the X1 doesn't drive the HD600s very well.

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #5,154 of 7,793
I wonder if any of these SPL apps are any good. Has anyone compared the results to an actual SPL meter? Also, do the apps measure flat SPL or A or C weighted? I have a SPL meter, but it only measures A or C weighting. When I listen to classical music with my home stereo system, I try to set the volume so that the A weighted SPL doesn't go over 90dB (A weighted) at the peaks, using the hold function and fast response. When listening to Bach organ music, jazz or pop then I play the peaks lower, normally about 80dB. Otherwise, everything is too loud. I use A weighting because that's what counts for hearing damage and only expensive meters have a flat function.

Measuring the SPL with closed headphones like the HD 25-1 is more difficult than with open headphones, as it somewhat depends on the seal that you get. I have a cardboard cutout with a hole in it the size of the SPL meter probe. When my X1 arrives on Monday, I'll check what levels I get with some different music.

Before I posted I decided to try it using my Rockboxed Clip+ and HD 25-1. I played the Telarc recording of Michael Murray playing Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor. For those who aren't familiar, that's the one used for the old haunted house movies. With the volume set at -6dB, the meter peaked at 89.0 left and 89.9 right (A weighted) on the loud beginning part. I don't really have any rock music, but I can try the X1 with something like Bond, Mariah Carey, Sheryl Crow or Norah Jones with my HD 25-1 or DT880-250.

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #5,155 of 7,793
lol If you have the penny to purchace a SDXC 256G card... you have as well to buy a X5 DAP!!

biggrin.gif

True but doesn't mean it's worth the extra cost.  Also full sized sd 256gb cards aren't that expensive http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Elite-Performance-256GB-Speed/dp/B00FF90EZM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425137226&sr=8-1&keywords=256gb+sd+card and this might allow you to use it http://www.dx.com/p/sd-to-microsd-transflash-card-converter-module-27001#.VPHeg_nF_CA and seeing how the fiio x1 comes with a rubber case you could probably put the sd card under the case without it sticking out like a sore thumb

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #5,156 of 7,793
Hi guys, is any of you have some experiences with their FiiO X1 (or any FiiO models) paired with W4r ? How is the synergy ? How is the SQ ? Do I will have to eventualy do some tweaks, adjustement, eqying...on it ? 
I still love my W4r, and will like to give them something good to eat. Until my wallet tell me to upgrade. But, I will like to stay neutral & balanced as possible... Less tweaking as possible ( like the W4 is)

Oki, some will state that am will be better going with DAP with similar price range. But, at this point, my wallet put me a red line here! 

Merci! Thx all for feedback and sharing experience with these fantastic IEM. W4r

SkullboX

wink_face.gif

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #5,157 of 7,793
  Just did a further test - I played Mastodon's The Wolf is Loose (which is pretty much the most compressed track I could think of) at 45 volume and only got around 57-62 dB. 

The fact that we're using different apps and hardware to measure obviously makes comparison difficult however I can say that 65dB is not near loud enough for me, particularly seeing as the X1 doesn't drive the HD600s very well.

May I ask how you are testing the sound levels (like microphone position)? I'd be interested to come up with my own results with a LG G2 smartphone and a Blue Snowball microphone.

Feb 28, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #5,158 of 7,793
True but doesn't mean it's worth the extra cost.  Also full sized sd 256gb cards aren't that expensive http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Elite-Performance-256GB-Speed/dp/B00FF90EZM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425137226&sr=8-1&keywords=256gb+sd+card and this might allow you to use it http://www.dx.com/p/sd-to-microsd-transflash-card-converter-module-27001#.VPHeg_nF_CA and seeing how the fiio x1 comes with a rubber case you could probably put the sd card under the case without it sticking out like a sore thumb
lol. No thanks, no PNY for me. Am very satisfied and more secure, confident with SanDisk, or Lexar.

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #5,159 of 7,793
  May I ask how you are testing the sound levels (like microphone position)? I'd be interested to come up with my own results with a LG G2 smartphone and a Blue Snowball microphone.

Lacking proper sound recording equipment I just used a db meter app on my Nexus 5 and stuck the phone in one of the earcups, which is obviously not as good as an actual SPL meter but is better than nothing.

If you've got a snowball and a PC/laptop then you'd be better off finding a real VU meter program rather than using your phone.

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #5,160 of 7,793
  I wonder if any of these SPL apps are any good. Has anyone compared the results to an actual SPL meter? Also, do the apps measure flat SPL or A or C weighted? I have a SPL meter, but it only measures A or C weighting. When I listen to classical music with my home stereo system, I try to set the volume so that the A weighted SPL doesn't go over 90dB (A weighted) at the peaks, using the hold function and fast response. When listening to Bach organ music, jazz or pop then I play the peaks lower, normally about 80dB. Otherwise, everything is too loud. I use A weighting because that's what counts for hearing damage and only expensive meters have a flat function.

Measuring the SPL with closed headphones like the HD 25-1 is more difficult than with open headphones, as it somewhat depends on the seal that you get. I have a cardboard cutout with a hole in it the size of the SPL meter probe. When my X1 arrives on Monday, I'll check what levels I get with some different music.

Before I posted I decided to try it using my Rockboxed Clip+ and HD 25-1. I played the Telarc recording of Michael Murray playing Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor. For those who aren't familiar, that's the one used for the old haunted house movies. With the volume set at -6dB, the meter peaked at 89.0 left and 89.9 right (A weighted) on the loud beginning part. I don't really have any rock music, but I can try the X1 with something like Bond, Mariah Carey, Sheryl Crow or Norah Jones with my HD 25-1 or DT880-250.

I just realized that C weighted is much more flat than A weighted. I should have looked it up instead of relying on memory. I rechecked the same music with the C weighted setting. At -6dB on the Clip+, it was 96.0 dB"C". I had to reduce the volume to -20dB to get it down to 88.8 dB"C". With the Clip+ only putting out 15 mW at 16 ohm and much less at the HD 25-1 70 ohm, it is unlikely that the X1 would need much of a volume volume to reach 90 dB with something like a HD 25-1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-weighting

From the play store description for the Smart Tools Sound Meter app:
"REMEMBER!! The built-in microphones were aligned to human voice (300-3400Hz, 40-60dB). Therefore the maximum values are LIMITED by the hardware limitation, and very loud sound(100+ db) cannot be recognized. Moto Droid (max.100), Galaxy S3 (81dB), Galaxy Note (91dB), Galaxy S2 (98dB)..."

With that frequency range, all of the bass and most of the high frequency is not even being measured with a cell phone. The readings measured are most likely at least 10 dB below the actual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back