The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Jan 2, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #4,591 of 7,793
This is the kind of post that makes me wary of the X1...! Palaver!

It would be faster using a card reader. Even synchronizing my iPod Classic in iTunes on the desktop computer takes a long time. Music transfer is typically slow, especially for giant libraries, multiple lossless files, or high resolution files. Nothing unusual here.

Edit: If that's what you're refering to.

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #4,592 of 7,793
  This is the kind of post that makes me wary of the X1...! Palaver!

Don't worry, pretty sure it's the write speed of my MicroSD card (someone confirm that?). I'm counting about 7-12 seconds per song when downloading. I have 30GB of songs on here, mostly in the 20-30MB range. Rounding to 30MB per song, 10 seconds per song download speed, that's 2.7 hours to download it all. A lot of my songs are more like 20-23MB or less, and I'm not downloading every single song I have (probably more like 25GB), so that would cut it down to probably somewhere around 2 hours. I'm 99% sure it just depends on the write speed of your card and the amount of music you have.

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #4,593 of 7,793
My iPod classics (160Gb x 2 and 120GB) are no bother to sync, with a library of over 3000 albums...certainly not 45 minutes. OK they're only 320's (no, they won't all fit on the iPod) - but the point is, ease of use. Don't get me wrong, I love new stuff and ways of hearing it. But I'm still not sure that I want to wrestle with the PC and player....

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #4,594 of 7,793
  Awesome. Only about 45 more minutes to go on the downloads 
frown.gif
 Not looking forwards to doing 30 more GB at my dad's... Thanks for everyone's help, I should have it playing music in the next hour or so.

Loading music will go faster if you use a card reader attached to a USB cord directly to a computer.  It's quite a bit slower going directly into the X1 (or X5 for that matter) from your computer.  

Edit- Bytor- sounds like you will be happier with the iPods.  Using these types of DAPs means doing things differently than with iTunes.  

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #4,595 of 7,793
  My iPod classics (160Gb x 2 and 120GB) are no bother to sync, with a library of over 3000 albums...certainly not 45 minutes. OK they're only 320's (no, they won't all fit on the iPod) - but the point is, ease of use. Don't get me wrong, I love new stuff and ways of hearing it. But I'm still not sure that I want to wrestle with the PC and player....

Just have to drag files/folders to your micro SD card. Not too difficult.

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #4,596 of 7,793

Just have to drag files/folders to your micro SD card. Not too difficult.

Well, yes.  But I see a lot of complaints about organization/playlists from people used to iTunes.  That needs to be factored in as well.  Sometimes it seems that SQ isn't as important as usability.  Better for him to understand this won't function the way an iPod does now, before he buys one.  It will certainly sound better, but that may not be enough to make the jump.

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #4,597 of 7,793
Hi - the post from TRapz talking about 45 minutes to get stuff on his card. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the X1 (or any X player; I love FiiO stuff) is not an option (I can well imagine getting one), I just can't get that it should be anything but a breeze to put music on it...maybe I'm wrong. I'm not an Apple fan boy (boy? I'm 51), but I do like the straightforward way I get stuff on my player. I love my music, and taking it everywhere, on foot, in the car, is a big thing. So accessibility is important.To me. I appreciate everyone's comments about the X1, adds to my knowledge before I part with with my cash!

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #4,598 of 7,793
Well, the issue is the first setup.  Once you get your files on the card it's really not a problem.  If you decide to change things, it's not like you are going to erase the mSD and start over.  You just delete a few albums/tracks or add them.  Takes a few minutes at best, unless they are hi-res.  That can take longer.  And you can make up multiple cards and swap them out based on what you want to hear/what you are doing.  But using the device to automatically make playlists as in iTunes is not happening, and organization is different as well.  Lots of bells and whistles that iTunes has are not present here.  and if you are going to load an entire library of MP3s on it, finding them can be problematic, as you are probably reading here.  I think it's a great device, but I never used iPods and so have no issues with how it used to be vs. how it is.  

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #4,600 of 7,793
Sure.  Just don't want you to jump into it and then discover it's not your cup of tea.  However, if you can adjust, it's very good indeed.

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #4,602 of 7,793
That's funny. On. my old Classics, I used to leave it running all night to fill the Ipods up. I find the simplicity of the x1 easier. Just walk away and leave it loading. Just as I did with the Classics. Once loaded up, there's nothing left to do. Loading just one new album is quick. There's also no need to build up your library on the computer like Itunes has to do.

Olddude, I see you've had a shampoo and set to the hairdo, very nice!!

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #4,603 of 7,793
  Hi - the post from TRapz talking about 45 minutes to get stuff on his card. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the X1 (or any X player; I love FiiO stuff) is not an option (I can well imagine getting one), I just can't get that it should be anything but a breeze to put music on it...maybe I'm wrong. I'm not an Apple fan boy (boy? I'm 51), but I do like the straightforward way I get stuff on my player. I love my music, and taking it everywhere, on foot, in the car, is a big thing. So accessibility is important.To me. I appreciate everyone's comments about the X1, adds to my knowledge before I part with with my cash!

Thanks.  On my X1, all my files are aac256 - about 400 albums (I think around 43 Gb used space for approx 5600 tracks).  Easiest way to transfer is eject the card from the X1 (after formatting it) then copy using a card reader - or USB reader like this one.
http://www.amazon.com/RIF6TM-Hi-Speed-Micro-SDHC-Reader/dp/B00HHYYNEQ/ref=pd_sim_e_10?ie=UTF8&refRID=1RJXTQZC3BZJ7T1JE6VN

I use the one that was actually included in the X5 package.

I can't remember how long it took to transfer everything - but pretty sure it was less than 1/2 an hour - and it's only a one-off.

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #4,604 of 7,793
Has anybody had any issues with it bricking or not responding to anything?  I got mine in October and I use it at work and hit a couple buttons at the same time by accident and it would stop working.  I would hold the reset button down with it plugged in to the computer or not plugged in and It would reset itself and I could use it again.  I was able to do that 2-3 times but now it doesn't respond to anything I do.  Anyone have any insight or encounter the same issue?

Thanks

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #4,605 of 7,793
Take a paperclip and insert the end of it in the hole on top  and push rather gently 'till it resets.  I believe James or Joe also mentioned that if that doesn't work hold the top left button down and do the paper clip thing at the same time for a super hard reset.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back