The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Oct 8, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #2,866 of 7,793
Ok, I "read the ******* manual" from the FIIO website and it appears formatting 64 gb cards to fat32 is still necessary. The website has a download link for a formatter.

@FiIO: the download link for the sd card formatter does not work - it is not downloadable from the FIIO website, apparently the download has been removed? Great. I'm sure I will find it somewhere else but I'm a bit wary of installing software from some unknown website on my notebook (perhaps sponsored by NSA)...

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #2,868 of 7,793

X1,E11K, with Vsonic vsd1s

Oh you tease! 
tongue.gif

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #2,870 of 7,793
@FIIO:

You really need someone to update your manuals.., I finally found the fat32 formatter in a Facebook / Dropbox link posted by FIIO. Ran it through all virus checkers I had. When executing, you need to specify a n allocation unit size.

When searching for that on the web, I found a relatively lame :wink: excuse from James from one year ago why the manual does not mention the correct size (see below) : => Dear James, if you want to sell as many products as Apple, you must make this more user friendly. I can cope with this, I studied computer science and am a programmer, but joe average would give up at this stage... Please add exFAT support! And update the manual and have the fat32 formatter downloadable from your website or provide a correct link in the manual!

JamesFiiO
Sponsor: FiiO

3,047 Posts. Joined 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolio

A big thanks from me as well for the advice on how to properly format the 64 card. I had the same problem. Fiio really needs to include info on setting allocation unit size 32768 in their instructions.

thanks for your advice, in fact, it is very difficult to print all the information in the user manual caz the firmware upgrade quick rapid , and the content is too big if we print all information.

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #2,872 of 7,793
Welcome to the family...  P.S.  I apologize for the crappy photo quality.  Took this in a hurry.

Left:  FiiO X1 w/ FiiO E11K Amp
Centre:  iPod Classic,6G, w/ FiiO E07K Amp / DAC & LOD Cable
Right:  FiiO X5, w/ FiiO E12 Amp & HS6 Stacking Kit

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #2,874 of 7,793

Man I am loving the sound quality of this thing. I am using it with a SMSL sAP-4S portable amp and this combo has good synergy. I am using a number of different earphones with this combo and they sound great. The big surprise for me is how well the Xiomi Piston 2's work with this combo, they punch well above their weight. I have a couple of earphones in the mail and am looking forward to trying them with this combo. I have a Ray Samuels Audio P51-Mustang which is an AWESOME hp amp but it has a very odd size to bundle with a dap. It's a shame as it is a damn good amp but gets little use due to its odd size. I wish I knew how to repackage it into a slim case like the SMSL.  By the way, it sounds great with the X1.
I do have one BIG disappointment though, it has no SEARCH function!!! Come on FiiO, you can do it. It takes ages to find a particular song with this UI. Apple has that **** down!
Also, a BIG CAUTION; do not buy cheap micro SD cards off the internet!!! This is a recipe for hours of frustration! Believe me, I know from experience. Buy a good name brand from a retailer near you.
Well, back to the music. Cheers. 

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #2,876 of 7,793
Ok, I "read the ******* manual" from the FIIO website and it appears formatting 64 gb cards to fat32 is still necessary. The website has a download link for a formatter.

@FiIO: the download link for the sd card formatter does not work - it is not downloadable from the FIIO website, apparently the download has been removed? Great. I'm sure I will find it somewhere else but I'm a bit wary of installing software from some unknown website on my notebook (perhaps sponsored by NSA)...

What kind of Notebook are you running?
I have Win7 and no problem reformatting my drives and cards when needed.
I just right click on the drive and select FORMAT.

Oct 8, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #2,877 of 7,793
What kind of Notebook are you running?
I have Win7 and no problem reformatting my drives and cards when needed.
I just right click on the drive and select FORMAT.

Well FIIO recommend int the X1 manual on its Website to use the special guiformat program to format sdxc cards larger than 32 gb in the fat32 format. The built-in windows formatting should not let you do this.

Now here comes the downside:

@ James / FIIO:

I used GUIFormat as provided in a Facebook post from FIIO (Dropbox file) and formatted my brand new Toshiba Class 10 64 GB micro sdxc card in FAT 32 / allocation unit size 32K.

The result: windows 7 copy froze after copying a couple of files to the card. Formatted and tried this several times - windows 7 always froze.

I then downloaded the official sd card formatter from sd card.org and reformatted the card in exFAT32 as it was before - then I could copy my entire ITunes Music library to the card in Windows 7 without freezing.

So your provided utility makes the sdxc card malfunction under Win7 - great....

What am I supposed to do now? Buy a new card? Used only 32 Gb cards? Or Will exFAT32 work?

Oct 8, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #2,878 of 7,793
@FIIO:

You really need someone to update your manuals.., I finally found the fat32 formatter in a Facebook / Dropbox link posted by FIIO. Ran it through all virus checkers I had. When executing, you need to specify a n allocation unit size.

When searching for that on the web, I found a relatively lame :wink: excuse from James from one year ago why the manual does not mention the correct size (see below) : => Dear James, if you want to sell as many products as Apple, you must make this more user friendly. I can cope with this, I studied computer science and am a programmer, but joe average would give up at this stage... Please add exFAT support! And update the manual and have the fat32 formatter downloadable from your website or provide a correct link in the manual!

JamesFiiO
Sponsor: FiiO

3,047 Posts. Joined 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolio

A big thanks from me as well for the advice on how to properly format the 64 card. I had the same problem. Fiio really needs to include info on setting allocation unit size 32768 in their instructions.

thanks for your advice, in fact, it is very difficult to print all the information in the user manual caz the firmware upgrade quick rapid , and the content is too big if we print all information.

The easiest, most reliable way to format your card is to use the device you want to use it with (X1). When FiiO started making DAPs there were many problems with the various formatting tools out there and the different allocation size the software would apply by default. Since then they have included a format tool built in to their devices which just works. Your right, it's the allocation unit size (and for those that do not know the trade off is speed vs reliability).

Also, even though they recommend to use a 32gb or smaller card to update firmware this is really a non-issue. I have formatted genuine 64gb and 128gb cards (loaded with music files) with zero issues updating firmware. In the end just format your card with the device before loading your music files and you'll be set.

Oct 8, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #2,879 of 7,793
Well FIIO recommend int the X1 manual on its Website to use the special guiformat program to format sdxc cards larger than 32 gb in the fat32 format. The built-in windows formatting should not let you do this.

Now here comes the downside:

@ James / FIIO:

I used GUIFormat as provided in a Facebook post from FIIO (Dropbox file) and formatted my brand new Toshiba Class 10 64 GB micro sdxc card in FAT 32 / allocation unit size 32K.

The result: windows 7 copy froze after copying a couple of files to the card. Formatted and tried this several times - windows 7 always froze.

I then downloaded the official sd card formatter from sd card.org and reformatted the card in exFAT32 as it was before - then I could copy my entire ITunes Music library to the card in Windows 7 without freezing.

So your provided utility makes the sdxc card malfunction under Win7 - great....

What am I supposed to do now? Buy a new card? Used only 32 Gb cards? Or Will exFAT32 work?

Hi. I use the tool downloaded from fiio page. Not issues at all. Besides, there are another programs for formatting to fat32, and the x1 include an option to do it. So not fiio fault at all, it's your computer or yourself.

Oct 8, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #2,880 of 7,793
For best results, try to stay away from software apps on a pc/mac. I'd say that perhaps most of the time they work, but I've had 100% success using the formatters on actual devices. You can use anything like a camera etc, they all format the card to fat32. When I had issues getting a 64gb card to work on my Cowon J3, I used all sorts of software formatters, but for some reason my computer would only read 32gb of it. Eventually I figured to put it in my camera, formatted it from there and worked like a charm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back