The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Sep 25, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #2,446 of 7,793
Very good points above and I'm glad the original poster recognizes the shortcomings of 128kbps, which almost everyone would agree sounds fairly bad.

Being that tangefloss is fairly new to this game I'd caution, in case you don't already know, that you never up rez a low bit rate to a higher bit rate. You can not add information that is not there and you may hear artifacts from the up rez process. It would be a waste of time. Always start high and then go lower to the point that it still sounds good to you, usually 256kbps-320kbps.

Personally, I stick with lossless ALAC 16/44.1, which is the same as CD quality.

Sep 26, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #2,447 of 7,793
I'm new to the DAP game, but after reading a little through this thread I'm slightly confused. Do I need my music in folders? Right now I just have my entire library in one folder, but every file is properly tagged (MP3). Will this be fine for the X1? What about the Colorfly C3?

Also right now I'm just using my smartphone or clip+ with a pair of ATH-M50s (I also have a pair of UE 700s), how much better will the X1 sound than my current setup?

Sep 26, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #2,448 of 7,793
  I'm new to the DAP game, but after reading a little through this thread I'm slightly confused. Do I need my music in folders? Right now I just have my entire library in one folder, but every file is properly tagged (MP3). Will this be fine for the X1? What about the Colorfly C3?

Also right now I'm just using my smartphone or clip+ with a pair of ATH-M50s (I also have a pair of UE 700s), how much better will the X1 sound than my current setup?

C3 only reads file names (not tag data), so you'll be in the clear there. Not sure about X1 yet, personally. Still waiting on Headphonebar.

Sep 26, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #2,450 of 7,793
Hi all

I am new to the party and - to my shame - have only just heard about the Fiio DAPs.  To be totally honest, I thought that for large capacity storage the iPod Classic was the only option.  To be fair, I looked into it a couple of years ago.  If I remember right, the only other option at the time was a Cowon.  Anyhow, to satisfy my curiosity, can anyone tell me...  are DAPs such as the Fiio range relatively new to the market?  Did I miss them a couple of years ago or did they not exist?  How many are out there now (let's say 128gb +)

Sorry if that's a bit OT...

I do have one other question which is Fiio related.  Sorry if it is obvious and/or covered elsewhere.  My excuse is my newness to the topic!  The question is - how do you get the audio files form your PC onto the DAP?  Do you have to use specific SW?  Or can you simply drag and drop in Win Explorer as you would when saving to an external hard drive?

If this is all too OT then I'll start another thread...

Cheers guys

Max

Sep 26, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #2,451 of 7,793
Hi all

I am new to the party and - to my shame - have only just heard about the Fiio DAPs.  To be totally honest, I thought that for large capacity storage the iPod Classic was the only option.  To be fair, I looked into it a couple of years ago.  If I remember right, the only other option at the time was a Cowon.  Anyhow, to satisfy my curiosity, can anyone tell me...  are DAPs such as the Fiio range relatively new to the market?  Did I miss them a couple of years ago or did they not exist?  How many are out there now (let's say 128gb +)

I do have one other question which is Fiio related.  Sorry if it is obvious and/or covered elsewhere.  My excuse is my newness to the topic!  The question is - how do you get the audio files form your PC onto the DAP?  Do you have to use specific SW?  Or can you simply drag and drop in Win Explorer as you would when saving to an external hard drive?

Cheers guys

Max

No, FiiO is not extremely new to DAP as X1 is not their first DAP. The first DAP they released is the existing X3 then X5 and now the X1.

Billson :)

Just a heads up, will be getting a copy of X1 myself :D

Sep 26, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #2,452 of 7,793
Hi all

Cheers guys

Max
Should be drag/drop if not the X1 takes microSD, just use a reader and you should be golden. No syncing here (That means you iPod mini)

Sep 26, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #2,454 of 7,793
Yes, it reads tags just fine.

Putting music on it is simply a drag and drop affair. When I plug mine into my computer it basically goes into "disc mode" and appears on my computer as a removable disk. Note that you can't play music while it is transferring music. If you fiddle with the buttons you will kick the X1 out of disk mode and your computer will bitch at you. And you'll have to resume your transfer after you figure out what didn't get copied. And yes, I just learned this by accident :)

Sep 26, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #2,455 of 7,793
Yes, it reads tags just fine.

Putting music on it is simply a drag and drop affair. When I plug mine into my computer it basically goes into "disc mode" and appears on my computer as a removable disk. Note that you can't play music while it is transferring music. If you fiddle with the buttons you will kick the X1 out of disk mode and your computer will bitch at you. And you'll have to resume your transfer after you figure out what didn't get copied. And yes, I just learned this by accident
smily_headphones1.gif

Valuable knowledge, believe me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back