The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Aug 24, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #1,636 of 7,793
Some good portable amps such as the new Fiio E11k can be found for $59 , that's a very good choice for starters. Refering to the review of twister6 , it can makes the X1 sound closer to the high end X5

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #1,637 of 7,793
Why are you people sticking other devices onto the X1? I thought it was supposed to work on its own? How strange.

Because they would be bored if they didn't.

Is it to make things louder?

Yes.

An amp doesn't just add more power to a dap, it also add a couple of effects to the sound such as more details, clarity, bass and a wider soundstage.

No, it does not. A good amp is fully transparent, it doesn't add anything - unless it has specific functions to alter the source, like a bass boost or crossfeed function.

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #1,639 of 7,793
Kind of true... A good amplifier pairing will help complement both the DAC and the headphone in order to receive the desired sound effect. People will show preferences for different amps in order to accomplish tasks like taming the treble or helping boost the bass. A good amplifier will also help add definition and increase such things like soundstage.

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #1,640 of 7,793
To the best of my knowledge there are no "fully transparent" portable amps. The O2 doesn't count as it's at least twice the size of this X1.

Aug 24, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #1,648 of 7,793
The O2 isn't as special as you think. It's just a good amp. There are other good amps.

I didn't say the O2 is special. What I said was that it's "fully transparent" but not truly portable.

Anyway, surely the point of the X1 is that it's portable and relatively cheap? Not many people are going to be pairing it with LCD's, surely? As long as it can drive my M-100's I'll be happy to buy one. And I'm sure it can because my lowly Sansa Clip+ does.

Aug 24, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #1,649 of 7,793

But I don't have a lake, nor a deck (whatever that is).  While I can't be sure, I suspect most people don't.

I walk to work and I get buses and trains. And my smartphone sits in my pocket on its own, with easy to drive earphones plugged into it keeping me perfectly happy,

I look at these photos of multiple devices with giant headphones plugged into them and I wonder where we went wrong as a species. Maybe I need a lake?

Or maybe you need to explain what exactly are you looking for since you just join this forum and made a dozen of posts challenging other head-fiers about X1 and strap-on amps?
wink.gif

Perhaps X1 is not for you.  If you are happy with your smartphone in your pocket and already have earphones that satisfy you, what is a point of trolling, I mean, asking all these questions?
tongue.gif

Otherwise, "welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet"
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back