The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Aug 24, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #1,622 of 7,793
  Here is the actual:

Looks good!  I'm also using FiiO L16 cable, which has straight connectors similar to yours, but I didn't want it to stick out too much thus decided to use an angled one included with E11k.  Oh, and since that angled cable is not as soft, to keep it from "turning" I put IM03 cable through the loop :wink:  Btw, that one is silver-plated replacement ATH cable from Lunashops.  I guess for pictures it would look better with all silver/clear cables!

As an example, I recently tested a cheap $22 ONN mp3 player (nothing even close to X1 build or sound quality, of course), but with a "proper" cable setup it looks like this:

Aug 24, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #1,623 of 7,793
Thats a tidy looking setup you got there!

I have a cricket though if I plug in an Ipod which really helps also but I dunno I just like the E11k with the X1, feels sort of just right. I am guessing the E11k was not designed to specifically match with the X1 but they are both current flavors so a lot of people will want to know about them both same time.. and as a stack.

Aug 24, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #1,624 of 7,793
  Why are you people sticking other devices onto the X1? I thought it was supposed to work on its own? How strange.

It actually does work quite well on its own but it ain't head-fi unless you can stack it and stack it high hehe :)

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #1,625 of 7,793
Why are you people sticking other devices onto the X1? I thought it was supposed to work on its own? How strange.

It's not strange in the least. The built in amp only outputs so much power. It's common practice with DAP's and harder to drive headphones.

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #1,626 of 7,793
It's not strange in the least. The built in amp only outputs so much power. It's common practice with DAP's and harder to drive headphones.

But ehy are you using hard to drive headphones with a portable DAP?  Like I said, strange. Logic would dictate that you should try using headphones which should pair with the device they are plugged into, without any extra help

I assume the X1 is designed this way - to work with most, if not all, portable earphones/headphones?

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #1,627 of 7,793

But ehy are you using hard to drive headphones with a portable DAP?  Like I said, strange. Logic would dictate that you should try using headphones which should pair with the device they are plugged into, without any extra help

I assume the X1 is designed this way - to work with most, if not all, portable earphones/headphones?

I'd much rather lug a DAP and small amp attached to it to sit on the deck at the lake with my LCD-2's, than take a laptop and non-portable amp that I would have to plug in to an outlet. This is the reason portable amps are made in the first place lol. 

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #1,628 of 7,793

I'd much rather lug a DAP and small amp attached to it to sit on the deck at the lake with my LCD-2's, than take a laptop and non-portable amp that I would have to plug in to an outlet. This is the reason portable amps are made in the first place lol. 

But I don't have a lake, nor a deck (whatever that is).  While I can't be sure, I suspect most people don't.

I walk to work and I get buses and trains. And my smartphone sits in my pocket on its own, with easy to drive earphones plugged into it keeping me perfectly happy,

I look at these photos of multiple devices with giant headphones plugged into them and I wonder where we went wrong as a species. Maybe I need a lake?

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #1,629 of 7,793
I have a loch.

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #1,631 of 7,793

It seems that you don't really know the purpose of a portable amp

Aug 24, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #1,633 of 7,793
An amp doesn't just add more power to a dap, it also add a couple of effects to the sound such as more details, clarity, bass and a wider soundstage. It's like getting 2D to 3D , an amp can completely change the sound quality to makes it better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back