The FiiO E10K--all-new DAC and amp stages
Dec 7, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #331 of 1,083
  Hi guys, when I turn up and down the volume knob of E10K, there is quite a audible hiss on the left side of my Audio Technica ATH-IM 02. It is not present on the right side of the same IEM.

The hiss only happens in the left side only when there is music playing and when I turn the volume knob up and down. If there is no music playing and I turn the volume knob, there is no hiss whatsoever on both sides.

I tried to change the cable with the replacement cable but the result is the same. I've also tested with Shure SE215 and the problem persists.

Does this fall under "defects in materials and materials" and would I be able to claim warranty through Fiio?

If you've tried with different headphones, different audio files, and from different sources then I would say something is wrong. 

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #332 of 1,083
  Hi guys, when I turn up and down the volume knob of E10K, there is quite a audible hiss on the left side of my Audio Technica ATH-IM 02. It is not present on the right side of the same IEM.

The hiss only happens in the left side only when there is music playing and when I turn the volume knob up and down. If there is no music playing and I turn the volume knob, there is no hiss whatsoever on both sides.

I tried to change the cable with the replacement cable but the result is the same. I've also tested with Shure SE215 and the problem persists.

Does this fall under "defects in materials and materials" and would I be able to claim warranty through Fiio?

It could be an issue with the Potentiometer. Mine certainly doesn't do that. the best bet would be to email Fiio and ask them :)

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #333 of 1,083

Can you spell out the word or point me to a dictionary site that has the word?

Always want to learn more Austrlian curse words.... I go to Outback Steakhouse quite often... they don't seem to speak Australian at all! 

Back to the E10K....does it sound better than the E07K, when connected to the Macbook?   I bought the E07K a few days ago, still got until 1/31 to return it for full refund.

PM Sent :wink:

I don't have an E07K, so I can't help you there, sorry.

Dec 8, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #334 of 1,083
Guys who bought e10k, whats your opinion on micro-usb connection? is it flimsy? Does it look like it gonna break sometime?
Im a bit worried as I had few MIDI keyboards with micro-usb and there were some problems with it (loosing connection etc)...

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #335 of 1,083
Normally I despise Micro USB connections. The day they're rendered obsolete I will toast their downfall.

That said, of all the Micro USB ports I've ever hated, I hate this one the least.

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #336 of 1,083
Guys who bought e10k, whats your opinion on micro-usb connection? is it flimsy? Does it look like it gonna break sometime?
Im a bit worried as I had few MIDI keyboards with micro-usb and there were some problems with it (loosing connection etc)...

I have no problems so far, but I have plugged a wrong cable the other day, since my fiio e11k, x1 and e10k cables were bundled together, I plugged the e11k cable in to the e10k . Aside from the fact that e10k needs data cable, the locking mechanism on the e11k is different from both x1 and e10k. I was wondering how come the plug is quite hard to connect, then I realized it was the e11k cable. Now I'm worried after reading all your thoughts on the micro usb connection

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #337 of 1,083

I have no problems so far, but I have plugged a wrong cable the other day, since my fiio e11k, x1 and e10k cables were bundled together, I plugged the e11k cable in to the e10k . Aside from the fact that e10k needs data cable, the locking mechanism on the e11k is different from both x1 and e10k. I was wondering how come the plug is quite hard to connect, then I realized it was the e11k cable. Now I'm worried after reading all your thoughts on the micro usb connection

My E11K cable is just a regular micro USB, the same as the E10K cable. I wonder why yours is not?

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #338 of 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwreck link

My E11K cable is just a regular micro USB, the same as the E10K cable. I wonder why yours is not?

They're all the same, except that the e11k locking mechanism is a little bit off.

Dec 8, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #339 of 1,083
Never had problem with the connection since i use the e10k as a desktop solution, so it's stationary most of the time. Just note that the usb cable that come with the unit is really bad, so i suggest buying a good $3 usb cable to replace it

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #340 of 1,083
Never had problem with the connection since i use the e10k as a desktop solution, so it's stationary most of the time. Just note that the usb cable that come with the unit is really bad, so i suggest buying a good $3 usb cable to replace it

That's what I don't get about Fiio.  They build such wonderful devices but choose to include inferior USB cables.  I was kind of shocked when I saw how poor my E07K's USB cable was.  I immediately ordered a different one from Amazon for $4 and it was 10 times the quality of the Fiio one.

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #341 of 1,083
Just got my E10K.

Comparing the E10K with bass boost on to my Bose Companion 2 Series 2 speakers, plugging my MDR-1A into speakers with EQ sounded a lot better to my tastes. After installing a 3rd party EQ and playing around with frequencies however, the E10K responds to EQ better while being a lot more clean in bringing out certain frequencies; no bloat so far.

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #342 of 1,083
 Originally Posted by audiolibrarian /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can link you to the one off the FiiO site.

This is the one they now link to. I would recommend renaming the file to avoid any issues because it contains a foreign character for the comma. http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=3860113018&uk=2888365492

If anyone wants to know where I found it, check the bottom right on this page here: http://www.fiio.net/en/supports/30

That driver gave me blue screens on my Windows 8.1 system.

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #344 of 1,083

They mention something about a possible cause. One thing I noticed was at work I needed to update my USB 3 drivers for the motherboard or I would always blue screen. Once I updated I didn't have an issue. At home I've been fine as well.

I've had issues in the past with USB Audio gear on USB 3 ports. The fix has always been to put USB Audio equipment in USB 2 ports - unless a driver update fixes it :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back