The FiiO and the Armature...
May 30, 2009 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Relinquished

100+ Head-Fier
Hey people,i have been reading up on much debate on the FiiO spoiling the armature drivers of IEMS.

is this true?Because I am planning on a UM1 or SF3 but i also want some bass to it so I was planning to use the FiiO E3 amp which i got but then this...

May 30, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Relinquished /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey people,i have been reading up on much debate on the FiiO spoiling the armature drivers of IEMS.

is this true?Because I am planning on a UM1 or SF3 but i also want some bass to it so I was planning to use the FiiO E3 amp which i got but then this...

when you say spoiling , do you mean it literally destroys the armature or do you mean it makes the sound worse? I use my Fiio E5 with my PFE all the time and while it does make it a little muddier , it makes up for it in added mids,bass, and warmth.

May 30, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Laokid18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when you say spoiling , do you mean it literally destroys the armature or do you mean it makes the sound worse? I use my Fiio E5 with my PFE all the time and while it does make it a little muddier , it makes up for it in added mids,bass, and warmth.

When i say spoiling it,i mean like frying the drivers...not making it sound worse.

Is there any problems with armatures on other amps reported other than FiiO?

May 30, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #5 of 5
It is not the line-out that causes the problem, but DC offset. On rare occasion, even output (may it be headphone-out or line-out) with coupling caps can have DC leakage. If the DC leakage is bad enough, it will be amplified by the amp (that has no input caps, such as E3) to a voltage high enough that can cause damage to the headphone. The easiest way to test of DC leakage is to connect the left / right channel to a voltmeter and measured them against the ground channel, then start and stop playing music a few times. If there is no DC leakage, the voltage should be very low all the time (near, if not zero volt).

So far, I have tried different E5 with q-JAYS, s-JAYS, SA6, UM2, TF10, SE530 and SHE9850. All of them are still working fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back