The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW, 19Vp-p, 12 hours
Feb 10, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #976 of 1,039
Similar size but it's the wrong voltage, if it was 3.5mm thick it would be slim enough to stack 3 and get 11.1v .
I am pretty sure it will need to be made, not a big deal, but we will have to find where to get batteries custom made.
I remember some sellers on AE that will do custom betteries, but will have to figure out which one sells the best quality goods.

I know that I could get it locally but it will be the same quality and 3 times the price

The AE merchants are 50Shades of shady if you ask me. Get a replacement stateside if you can.

Yesterday I was investigating whether it was possible to get a Cayin C5 on the used market along with a replacement battery. Things were looking up initially. But the used battery sellers looked sketch. You can't rule out the possibility that you're getting a 'recycled' battery where the seller or whoever just rips the wrap on the cell off and puts a new wrap on.

Feb 10, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #977 of 1,039
The AE merchants are 50Shades of shady if you ask me. Get a replacement stateside if you can.

Yesterday I was investigating whether it was possible to get a Cayin C5 on the used market along with a replacement battery. Things were looking up initially. But the used battery sellers looked sketch. You can't rule out the possibility that you're getting a 'recycled' battery where the seller or whoever just rips the wrap on the cell off and puts a new wrap on.
I can't really agree with you, have bought many batteries. when I lived in the "states" the only thing I noticed is there are no replacement parts, Americans rarely repair or recycle anything, it's a throw away culture.
I did like how cheap electronics where there, but now it's not the same, this was changed many years ago. best electronics go to EU because according to EU laws, certain things must last a certain amount of time, and many countries respect the owners right to repair.
But these companies simply pay the American government to lift those laws, so cell phones sent to American market are supposed to last a year, according to warranty. But in the EU many countries demand that cellphones last no less then 2 years (this is why apple had to give battery replacements)
So when I purchase electronics I avoid inferior American Market devices, stick with EU stuff.
Same with batteries, rather get some good polish batteries, but I will try the AE batteries because I can ask a seller to give me a couple of batteries for a reasonable price, but locally will be the same with the prices raised, or better EU but at 2 or 3 times the price

I used to get electronics from the states about 10 years ago, but about 5 years back I got a few things (computer, cellphone, camera) realized the cellphone didn't have a world antenna (although it was sold as having all antennas includeding int) the computer had issues so I took it to repair and was told that a few parts seemed like they are made using lower density plastic, and some connectors used are not gold plated as they should've been.
So I researched and found out that wall art had lobbied many years ago, for the right to lie and act like there products are the same as any store, even though there electronics are made in different factories, so when you by a Sony TV at Wallmart, your getting a second quality TV that looks and feels like the one you get from a Sony outlet, but its not, of course, every other retailer followed and now a lot of American products are not nearly as good as they were, so I wouldn't be surprised if the batteries sold there are lower quality chines anyway. Even the U. S. Military orders IC chips for missiles, jets, bombers and other advanced systems from alibaba
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/352255/
There is an example of what I mean, I understand Americans have been attacking AE a lot, mainly because American tech firms are very angry at the chinese for making copies, but in the end, it's bad for the consumers, for example, Knowles drivers are OK,but like most capitalist, they underplayed and overworked there engineers, so there best guy left, started his own driver company, they were so much better that companies started using them, and if you get on the diy iem thread, you will realize they were a lot better, but Knowles owned the patent on the whole system. So instead of making a better product, they simply had the competition outed, so now we can't source those magnificent drivers and have to resort to drivers who are inferior and cost 3 times more

So these days a try to avoid anything American, because after understanding American businesses and how they became the leaders (heavy use of planned obsolescence, lobbying against consumers, selling mid tier devices as luxury disposable items, reducing the amount spent on R&D and increasing the amount spent on marketing)
But I digress, truth is, if I don't find one in the next month or so, I can order a custom one from Alliexpress or have one made locally.
But the idea to buy a battery in a country who has very little rights for the consumer and paying extra for the shipping isn't an option for me

Feb 10, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #978 of 1,039
I can't really agree with you, have bought many batteries. when I lived in the "states" the only thing I noticed is there are no replacement parts, Americans rarely repair or recycle anything, it's a throw away culture.
I did like how cheap electronics where there, but now it's not the same, this was changed many years ago. best electronics go to EU because according to EU laws, certain things must last a certain amount of time, and many countries respect the owners right to repair.
But these companies simply pay the American government to lift those laws, so cell phones sent to American market are supposed to last a year, according to warranty. But in the EU many countries demand that cellphones last no less then 2 years (this is why apple had to give battery replacements)
So when I purchase electronics I avoid inferior American Market devices, stick with EU stuff.
Same with batteries, rather get some good polish batteries, but I will try the AE batteries because I can ask a seller to give me a couple of batteries for a reasonable price, but locally will be the same with the prices raised, or better EU but at 2 or 3 times the price

I used to get electronics from the states about 10 years ago, but about 5 years back I got a few things (computer, cellphone, camera) realized the cellphone didn't have a world antenna (although it was sold as having all antennas includeding int) the computer had issues so I took it to repair and was told that a few parts seemed like they are made using lower density plastic, and some connectors used are not gold plated as they should've been.
So I researched and found out that wall art had lobbied many years ago, for the right to lie and act like there products are the same as any store, even though there electronics are made in different factories, so when you by a Sony TV at Wallmart, your getting a second quality TV that looks and feels like the one you get from a Sony outlet, but its not, of course, every other retailer followed and now a lot of American products are not nearly as good as they were, so I wouldn't be surprised if the batteries sold there are lower quality chines anyway. Even the U. S. Military orders IC chips for missiles, jets, bombers and other advanced systems from alibaba
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/352255/
There is an example of what I mean, I understand Americans have been attacking AE a lot, mainly because American tech firms are very angry at the chinese for making copies, but in the end, it's bad for the consumers, for example, Knowles drivers are OK,but like most capitalist, they underplayed and overworked there engineers, so there best guy left, started his own driver company, they were so much better that companies started using them, and if you get on the diy iem thread, you will realize they were a lot better, but Knowles owned the patent on the whole system. So instead of making a better product, they simply had the competition outed, so now we can't source those magnificent drivers and have to resort to drivers who are inferior and cost 3 times more

So these days a try to avoid anything American, because after understanding American businesses and how they became the leaders (heavy use of planned obsolescence, lobbying against consumers, selling mid tier devices as luxury disposable items, reducing the amount spent on R&D and increasing the amount spent on marketing)
But I digress, truth is, if I don't find one in the next month or so, I can order a custom one from Alliexpress or have one made locally.
But the idea to buy a battery in a country who has very little rights for the consumer and paying extra for the shipping isn't an option for me

I forgot that you're in Europe. My bad.

One thing I'm doing now that I never did before is researching any portable amp or dac to filter for only those that either use JST connections for the battery or 18650 cells. That rules out any products from FiiO.

To see the extent FiiO is going to in order to make battery swaps difficult you should watch their official tear down video for the Q3 THX amp:

Not only did they solder the wires to the circuit board (burried under a soldered on daughter board) but they also soldered down the entire battery. I kid you not 😅

Feb 10, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #979 of 1,039
Yesterday I was investigating whether it was possible to get a Cayin C5...
JDS Labs C5 is great amplifier as well (from these older times). Have a replaceble battery, power is decent.

Not only did they solder the wires to the circuit board (burried under a soldered on daughter board) but they also soldered down the entire battery.
Not good.

Feb 10, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #980 of 1,039
I forgot that you're in Europe. My bad.

One thing I'm doing now that I never did before is researching any portable amp or dac to filter for only those that either use JST connections for the battery or 18650 cells. That rules out any products from FiiO.

To see the extent FiiO is going to in order to make battery swaps difficult you should watch their official tear down video for the Q3 THX amp:

Not only did they solder the wires to the circuit board (burried under a soldered on daughter board) but they also soldered down the entire battery. I kid you not 😅
Exactly what I am talking about, it's terrible, but fiio is paying a ton In marketing, and worst thing is its paying off, I stopped looking at there stuff after my ordeal with the x1ii. So I been searching for there old stuff, anything that can be repaired.
What can I say, it sucks.
It really sucks, specially since this disposable crap they make is not so cheap, I wouldn't mind a disposable player at around 50 bucks for 6 months. But I expect a year for every hundred I spend...

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #983 of 1,039
Would the FiiO A3 provide audio quality on par with the A5? The reduced output power is not a concern. Just need to confirm that it's designed and built well. The A5 used fairly good parts. Not sure about the A3. Haven't seen a photo of it's internal board. Any opinions on the A3 would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 7, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #984 of 1,039
Would the FiiO A3 provide audio quality on par with the A5? The reduced output power is not a concern. Just need to confirm that it's designed and built well. The A5 used fairly good parts. Not sure about the A3. Haven't seen a photo of it's internal board. Any opinions on the A3 would be greatly appreciated.the a3 is a great amp, I would say it's on par, I just sold mine yesterday, but the bass boost wasn't very good, I found it better on the a5 (don't use it much anyway) I felt the a3 was even a wee bit cleaner sounding (but I wanted more power)

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #986 of 1,039
Hey, I'll take that as an endorsement :smile_phones:
There is video on youtube with A3 teardown. I guess you could take a look what the internals look like.

Never had one and can't say what the sound is like, though was thinking the video might be helpful to you (to see the build and what it is).

Seems to be good video:

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #987 of 1,039
There is video on youtube with A3 teardown. I guess you could take a look what the internals look like.

Never had one and can't say what the sound is like, though was thinking the video might be helpful to you (to see the build and what it is).

Seems to be good video:

Thanks! Great video. The A3 looks very well designed. Pretty neat.

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #988 of 1,039
I bought a FIIO A5 to pair with my HD 6XX a couple of months ago and now I just bought a Sony NW-A55 which is supposedly underpowered. Hope my A5 will do its magic!

Mar 12, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #989 of 1,039
I bought a FIIO A5 to pair with my HD 6XX a couple of months ago and now I just bought a Sony NW-A55 which is supposedly underpowered. Hope my A5 will do its magic!
No worries.

If the Sony does not have 'line out mode' or dedicated output for this, my advice is to not go above 70-80% volume on the Sony to avoid distortion in the sound. Other than that all will be fine. :v:

Mar 12, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #990 of 1,039
No worries.

If the Sony does not have 'line out mode' or dedicated output for this, my advice is to not go above 70-80% volume on the Sony to avoid distortion in the sound. Other than that all will be fine. :v:
Good advice, thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back