The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW, 19Vp-p, 12 hours
May 31, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #1,007 of 1,039
hello, did anyone know if fiio e12 family has mechanism that stop recharging after the battery is full?
Not sure, but seems like it, light goes from on/off to steady on, then gets cold to touch
Maybe I am wrong but I beleive this means it's not charging anymore
But I am not an expert in this

May 31, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #1,008 of 1,039
They all have power blocking backed in. It would be a huge and obvious issue if they didn't.

Jun 15, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #1,009 of 1,039
Hello guys, I am thinking on getting an old A5. Don't really care about the battery because I plan to run it from a power bank. My question is if it is possible to run it continuously from a power bank.
Additionally, I would even prefer to just take out the battery if dead (bad past experiences with dead batteries getting inflated like balloons ). Does someone know if the A5 works with no battery only from the USB power?
Thanks a lot

Jun 15, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #1,010 of 1,039
Hello guys, I am thinking on getting an old A5. Don't really care about the battery because I plan to run it from a power bank. My question is if it is possible to run it continuously from a power bank.
Additionally, I would even prefer to just take out the battery if dead (bad past experiences with dead batteries getting inflated like balloons ). Does someone know if the A5 works with no battery only from the USB power?
Thanks a lot
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...00-800mw-19vp-p-12-hours.819831/post-14707101

To me, iFi's reply implied it would run it could run without the battery. I have run mine off a powered usb hub for months and months, and have had no problems. When I do use the battery, it's life seems the same as when I bought it (used).

Jun 16, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #1,011 of 1,039
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...00-800mw-19vp-p-12-hours.819831/post-14707101

To me, iFi's reply implied it would run it could run without the battery. I have run mine off a powered usb hub for months and months, and have had no problems. When I do use the battery, it's life seems the same as when I bought it (used).
Thanks, that's encouraging, and surprising (your experience with the long lasting battery).
Let's see if someone ever tried it with no battery at all.
Thanks!

Dec 10, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #1,012 of 1,039
My Fiio A5 was getting little use. My headphones Denon Ah-D7200, Denon AH-D900 and Sennheiser HD599, and Etymotic ER4xr are all easy to drive and most of the time I used them directly connected to my Astell SR25. It is true i could get a nice result with amplification but the difference was very small and most times I just plugged them directly, using the Fiio A5 only in counted occasions.
Now this has changed completely with my latest purchase. I bought the AKG K712 pro. I listen mainly to classical music and the AKG with outstanding clarity, instrument separation and soundstage are amazing for classical music. These headphones are power hungry and sound is really weak direct out of my SR25. The Fiio A5 here makes wonders. With high gain the AKG sound like they should: fantastic. Yesterday I was listening to Haydn’s The creation and I was amazed with the strings and voices with the combination of the AKG and the Fiio.

Dec 10, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #1,015 of 1,039
Topping has introduced a new amp-only portable that may just be the first suitable upgrade/replacement path for A5 owners.

https://apos.audio/products/topping-nx7-headphone-amp
it is expensive but it is good to know that the concept of the Fiio A5, a purely portable amp without dac, lives on. There are few really powerfull portables available at least in my country. 1400 mw that is powerfull!

Dec 10, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #1,017 of 1,039
Looks highly interesting given the specs.

Feb 2, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #1,019 of 1,039
I posted this in another thread but the ifi xCan is a good substitute for the A5. 1W into 32 ohms with analog inputs and the added benefit of Bluetooth as well. $170 at Adorama right now : https://www.adorama.com/ifi310002.h...LXsl10nUkGUwhWOPQD32I0&utm_source=rflaid98220

I like it quite a bit compared to my old A5.

Two problems. 1) the battery in the xCan has a reputation of failing within 2 years of purchase. iFi refuses to sell or ship replacement batteries to customers with failing batteries. iFi intentionally uses a proprietary wire connector jack on their xCan PCB that impedes the ability of owners to buy a drop in aftermarket replacement battery. 2) the BO headphone jack on the xCan is a known weak link. instead of using a through-pin jack that has legs that insert into the PCB and are soldered on the back of the PCB iFi opted for a flimsy and unsecured surface mounted BO jack. Several customers have reported their BO jacks detaching from the PCB and being rendered nonoperative. iFi is aware of this problem and has refused to change production to a through-pin part spec. The cost between the alternative parts is negotiable. This is just reckless engineering.

Last year I had emailed iFi and also corresponded with one of their senior leaders on Head-Fi in effort to get answers on how I would be able to obtain replacement batteries for their xCan when it eventually began to not hold a charge. I got the run around from them. the Head-Fi rep told me to contact their customer service department using a customer ticket. I did that. My questions were never fully addressed. The reply was evasive and when I sent a follow-up question seeking clarity on the availability of replacement batteries, their cost, and whether they could be sent to customers, I never received a response. Other people have told me in private conversations that iFi tried to squeeze money out of them when they reported that their xCan battery had failed and no longer charged. The company wanted the customer to send the entire amp back to iFi via mail and wanted to charge the customer over $60 for the battery. That service fee quote may not have included return shipping and of course the xCan owner is responsible for initial shipping costs of sending the unit to iFi.

These small batteries sell for $8.00 on eBay so iFi is taking advantage of their customers with a 1,500% markup. They first rig the unit to frustrate DIY attempts by owners to get their xCan up and running again with an appropriately sized aftermarket battery. Then they refuse to sell reasonably priced replacement batteries and ship them direct to customers. Instead they make the customer pay a ridiculous fee and mail the product back to them.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #1,020 of 1,039
Two problems. 1) the battery in the xCan has a reputation of failing within 2 years of purchase. iFi refuses to sell or ship replacement batteries to customers with failing batteries. iFi intentionally uses a proprietary wire connector jack on their xCan PCB that impedes the ability of owners to buy a drop in aftermarket replacement battery. 2) the BO headphone jack on the xCan is a known weak link. instead of using a through-pin jack that has legs that insert into the PCB and are soldered on the back of the PCB iFi opted for a flimsy and unsecured surface mounted BO jack. Several customers have reported their BO jacks detaching from the PCB and being rendered nonoperative. iFi is aware of this problem and has refused to change production to a through-pin part spec. The cost between the alternative parts is negotiable. This is just reckless engineering.

Last year I had emailed iFi and also corresponded with one of their senior leaders on Head-Fi in effort to get answers on how I would be able to obtain replacement batteries for their xCan when it eventually began to not hold a charge. I got the run around from them. the Head-Fi rep told me to contact their customer service department using a customer ticket. I did that. My questions were never fully addressed. The reply was evasive and when I sent a follow-up question seeking clarity on the availability of replacement batteries, their cost, and whether they could be sent to customers, I never received a response. Other people have told me in private conversations that iFi tried to squeeze money out of them when they reported that their xCan battery had failed and no longer charged. The company wanted the customer to send the entire amp back to iFi via mail and wanted to charge the customer over $60 for the battery. That service fee quote may not have included return shipping and of course the xCan owner is responsible for initial shipping costs of sending the unit to iFi.

These small batteries sell for $8.00 on eBay so iFi is taking advantage of their customers with a 1,500% markup. They first rig the unit to frustrate DIY attempts by owners to get their xCan up and running again with an appropriately sized aftermarket battery. Then they refuse to sell reasonably priced replacement batteries and ship them direct to customers. Instead they make the customer pay a ridiculous fee and mail the product back to them.
Thanks! I did see your same reply in the original thread.

What’s your personal experience with the unit? Are the others (Fiio and Topping) offering batteries direct to consumers? I’m still in the return window so any light you can shed on the alternatives would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back