The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW, 19Vp-p, 12 hours
Jan 24, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #676 of 1,039
If you update the player you definitely will see an upgrade, if only from just using LO instead of PO. YOu might or might not hear the difference depending on your headphones however I definitely use the A5 for anything about 100 ohms on my X7ii.
Excuse me what's the meaning of LO or PO?
and one question I have thay does A5 change any quality of sound or it just only for higher volume to hear? ( my headphone audiotechnica ath-m50x is 38 impedance )

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #677 of 1,039
and one question I have thay does A5 change any quality of sound or it just only for higher volume to hear? ( my headphone audiotechnica ath-m50x is 38 impedance )

Line out vs phone out.

It will change the sound quality, though it really depends on whether you can hear it or not. To me it's very noticeable even when driving sub 50 ohm headphones. To be honest every element in the chain changes the sound (port, transport, interconnect, headphone cables, etc).

Jan 24, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #678 of 1,039
Line out vs phone out.

It will change the sound quality, though it really depends on whether you can hear it or not. To me it's very noticeable even when driving sub 50 ohm headphones. To be honest every element in the chain changes the sound (port, transport, interconnect, headphone cables, etc).
yes I think I need to train more my ears to notice the changes in the chain. then you recomend to keep my A5 even If I buy new player like AK JR?

Jan 24, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #681 of 1,039
I'm a newbie in these things, then how about buying X5 3rd gen?for start I just need a player that I could feel diffrence between simple mp3 and 16,24 bit flacs.
You should get a DAC like the Fiio Q1 Mk 2 or something.

Jan 24, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #683 of 1,039
I already have a A5 amp, and I want to remove the mobile phone from the chain and because of that I asked for a player that have good dac/amp. and in someway carrying that chain like a5,mobile,q1 would difficult. what do you suggest for a player ? in range of max 350$
You can either look at the Cayin N5ii or the Shanling M3s. Both would have enough power for your M50x

Jan 26, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #684 of 1,039
Dear friend,

LO-Line out--an analog electrical signal not go thorgh the internal amplifer. Generally, the volume from line out output is not adjustable. You would collect the lineout port to Amplifer before collecting to the headphone.
PO-headphone output--an analog electrical signal go thorgh the internal amplifer. You could collect the headphone to that port directly.:dt880smile:

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 1, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #685 of 1,039
i have a e12 mont blanc, if i buy the A5 will i notice an improvement in sound?

will it be louder or easier to drive my Amirons and M50x and Fostex tr70s?

Sometimes i feel the E12 doesnt hove enouph power to drive my cans,,, like if i connect my cans to my ZXR sound card this sounds much better than the E12

Just thinking if the A5 is worth upgrading to the A5???????????????????

Mar 1, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #686 of 1,039
i have a e12 mont blanc, if i buy the A5 will i notice an improvement in sound?

will it be louder or easier to drive my Amirons and M50x and Fostex tr70s?

Sometimes i feel the E12 doesnt hove enouph power to drive my cans,,, like if i connect my cans to my ZXR sound card this sounds much better than the E12

Just thinking if the A5 is worth upgrading to the A5???????????????????

(Forgive me if I make minor mistakes in terminology here) I you have an OG Mont Blanc, into a 32 ohm load it supplies 880 mW, if you have an A5 it supplies 800 mW. So A5 is actually less powerful. Slightly. But it's using Muses 02 op amp instead of the LME49710. I recommend reading Brooko's review of the A5 he has a good chart (might be FiiO's) comparing the specs of all three.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #687 of 1,039
(Forgive me if I make minor mistakes in terminology here) I you have an OG Mont Blanc, into a 32 ohm load it supplies 880 mW, if you have an A5 it supplies 800 mW. So A5 is actually less powerful. Slightly. But it's using Muses 02 op amp instead of the LME49710. I recommend reading Brooke's review of the A5 he has a good chart (might be FiiO's) comparing the specs of all three.

hi

do you have the link?

basically i need to know if the A5 is an actually upgrade in terms of sound quality compared to the E12 MontBlanc, I used the mont blanc for over a year now and I believe the A5 may have a better sound quality in terms of clarity and bass.

But i dont want to buy it if it sounds the same, all ive researched so far that it has a better battery life, forget battery the sound is what im interested in..

Mar 1, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #688 of 1,039
hi

do you have the link?

basically i need to know if the A5 is an actually upgrade in terms of sound quality compared to the E12 MontBlanc, I used the mont blanc for over a year now and I believe the A5 may have a better sound quality in terms of clarity and bass.

But i dont want to buy it if it sounds the same, all ive researched so far that it has a better battery life, forget battery the sound is what im interested in..

I can't seem to link directly to it, but it's the second review found here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-a5-portable-headphone-amplifier.21888/reviews .

*Edit* As someone who owned an E12 Mont Blanc then an E12A afterwards, you're going to get a black background, very clean "wire with gain" is all an amp needs to be. The bass boost is also centered lower than the OG E12.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #690 of 1,039
I haven't been using my A5 despite buying it in 2016 - just hate the Muses02 signature. Why give such a coloured, warm OPAMP that has no definition and articulation.
So thought of doing some mods - to begin with replacing the Muses02 with a DIP 8 pin socket. Thereafter I put LME49720NA. Together with current buffer LME49600, the clarity of this combo is breath-taking.
One thing I noticed about A5 is that it sounds correctly damped only with 1V rms LINE OUTs, with anything above ~ 1.4V rms, it sounds over-driven, dynamics are crunched and sound harsh.

Some pics of my mod. It's funny just by the sheer difference between Muses02 and 49720, A5 sounds like a completely different product altogether.

Y6xwXnz.jpg

VRv3IUj.jpg

3JHDGnF.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back