The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW, 19Vp-p, 12 hours
Mar 8, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #481 of 1,039
@ceemsc i am exactly searching that answer. Because i tried 30 pin(ipod touch) to aux (A5), lightning (iphone) to aux (A5), micro USB (tablet) to aux (A5), all cables without dac. None of them worked. All media players continue to play music from their speakers.

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #482 of 1,039
@ceemsc
i am exactly searching that answer. Because i tried 30 pin(ipod touch) to aux (A5), lightning (iphone) to aux (A5), micro USB (tablet) to aux (A5), all cables without dac. None of them worked. All media players continue to play music from their speakers.

Normally when the Lightning cable is plugged into the iPod/iPhone port, the speakers & headphone out is supposed to shut off leaving a full-line-out signal via the Lightning connection. This is how iPod docks work.

What cables are you using? They don't seem to be triggering the necessary system response assuming there is nothing wrong with the Apple DAPs.

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #483 of 1,039
I need advice! Has anyone here auditioned the A5 and the Cayin C5 and the Aune B1? I appreciate that this is a big ask, but I would like to know how they compare in the following scenario;
I currently listen to mp3 (320) on my ipod classic 160 Gb connected via LOD L9 through AKG K612 driven by a Topping NX-1. As I listen at low to moderate levels I do not get any clipping ( I do at higher volume on high gain). I like the detailed and clear sound, most of which I think is down to the K612.
Bearing in mind that I listen at moderate levels, would I get much improvement by replacing the Topping with one of these three well-reviewed amps? 
I am pretty sure that all three will drive the K612 more than adequately, so my main question is about the sound quality. I enjoy most of all detail, clarity, balance and a believable soundstage. I am not a basshead, although I like the sub-bass and occasional rumble I get even from my current setup. I have come to the conclusion that soundstage is mainly due to the recording itself rather than anything an amp does
Sorry about the long preamble, but I really would value anyone's opinions on these three amps. The Topping is supposed to be underpowered, but some spec tables indicate that it is not too far behind the three amps I have asked about here
I listen to all kinds of classical music and jazz ( Miles, Monk. Mingus, Coltrane etc)
Thanks in advance 

Mar 8, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #484 of 1,039
I need advice! Has anyone here auditioned the A5 and the Cayin C5 and the Aune B1? I appreciate that this is a big ask, but I would like to know how they compare in the following scenario;
I currently listen to mp3 (320) on my ipod classic 160 Gb connected via LOD L9 through AKG K612 driven by a Topping NX-1. As I listen at low to moderate levels I do not get any clipping ( I do at higher volume on high gain). I like the detailed and clear sound, most of which I think is down to the K612.
Bearing in mind that I listen at moderate levels, would I get much improvement by replacing the Topping with one of these three well-reviewed amps? 
I am pretty sure that all three will drive the K612 more than adequately, so my main question is about the sound quality. I enjoy most of all detail, clarity, balance and a believable soundstage. I am not a basshead, although I like the sub-bass and occasional rumble I get even from my current setup. I have come to the conclusion that soundstage is mainly due to the recording itself rather than anything an amp does
Sorry about the long preamble, but I really would value anyone's opinions on these three amps. The Topping is supposed to be underpowered, but some spec tables indicate that it is not too far behind the three amps I have asked about here
I listen to all kinds of classical music and jazz ( Miles, Monk. Mingus, Coltrane etc)
Thanks in advance 

Sorry, only have experience of the A5.

However my understanding is the extra $ spent on an amp goes towards better build, practicality, damping & overall product. The ideal amp is only gain on the wire with minimal distortion & noise. Any coloration & frequency response changes should only be at the user's direction.

Therefore I would have thought soundstage is dictated either by the headphone or the music source. The "cave" like narrow soundstage of the original E12 is a downside of that amp which the A5 does not have.

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #486 of 1,039
@ceemsc Can't paste links, but the name of the cord is 3.5mm Audio Line Out + 30pin Usb Dock Cable for Iphone Ipod.

There isn't any dock to connect, i just directly connect cable 30pin to ipod and later aux to A5. This cable could just be for charging purpose even it has an aux output.

I just ordered a DAC and i really wonder if iphone or ipod don't know cable, would dac work? My setup would be,  iphone -> OTG Cable -> DAC -> AMP -> Headphone.

Mar 9, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #487 of 1,039
@ceemsc
Can't paste links, but the name of the cord is 3.5mm Audio Line Out + 30pin Usb Dock Cable for iPhone iPod

I've seen what you mean for Amazon for £2.68 ~ $3.26

Respectfully this is cable is a cheap knock-off only good for charging if it fits & does not break any electrical safety standards. I've had plenty in the past which were mixed in usefulness for charging but rubbish for iTunes syncing.

You are better off investing £15+ / $20+ on an official retail cable or those previously mentioned for the sake of reliability & safety if not for audio quality in the chain.

I just ordered a DAC and i really wonder if iphone or ipod don't know cable, would dac work? My setup would be,  iphone -> OTG Cable -> DAC -> AMP -> Headphone.

That won't work as your External DAC is expecting a digital signal but the DAC in your IPhone has already converted this to an analogue audio signal.

Mar 10, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #488 of 1,039
That won't work as your External DAC is expecting a digital signal but the DAC in your IPhone has already converted this to an analogue audio signal.

I think this depends on the features of DAC. The dac i bought has an android and iphone compatibility list, see hifimediy.

On the other hand, i am not going to try different cables anymore and i agree with you about quality of cables. Instead of this, i bought an original apple dock with a line out behind of it. Since i am not a mobil guy that much this could solve my problem until dac comes.

If we return my main problem. I really wonder how would A5 effect sound expecially loudness, i couldn't catch loudness that i want at low gain settings and after talking with @Dobrescu George i assume that is due to internal amp of players and A5 doesn't touch sound that much at low gain setting.

Mar 10, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #489 of 1,039
​ I have both and they are close. I do not push either to max but I do not have any high impedance cans besides the Beyer T1 (600 ohm)
The Cayin has more power via spec but the A5 is dead silent in the background so I prefer it

Which of the two amps has the clearer, less warm, more neutral/ linear sound? My little Topping Nx-1 on high gain setting may be underpowered, but I get a clear and transparent sound through AKG K612 ( high impedance, low sensitivity) from my iPod classic 160Gb via LOD L9 from lineout. I would assume that a more powerful amp would produce an even better sound, but I would like to know your opinion. I only listen at low to moderate volume levels

Mar 10, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #490 of 1,039
Surprised A5 beats out C5 on sound-stage, as the Cayin was pretty great for that so A5 must be excellent !

This comparison is very interesting. I auditioned a C5 via LOD L9 from my iPod classic 160Gb through a pair of AKG K612 headphones and enjoyed it, but actually preferred the sound using my underpowered Topping Nx-1, a bit clearer and less warm/smooth. I also found the bass with the C5 to lack proper sub-bass unless I turned the bass boost on, whereas the sub-bass is definitely there with the Topping Nx-1! I am thinking about trying out the A5, but still not sure......,

Mar 10, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #491 of 1,039
Which of the two amps has the clearer, less warm, more neutral/ linear sound?

The FiiO A5 does.

The C5 is brilliant but it has a smooth tint it puts on gear used with it. That's the appeal. The A5 is dead nothing. If that were a DAP dead nothing would = lifeless and not musical to me but for an amp it is ideal.

Mar 10, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #492 of 1,039
 The FiiO A5 does.

The C5 is brilliant but it has a smooth tint it puts on gear used with it. That's the appeal. The A5 is dead nothing. If that were a DAP dead nothing would = lifeless and not musical to me but for an amp it is ideal.

Thanks! I really appreciate your analysis. When I auditioned a C5 via LOD L9 from my iPod classic through AKG K612 the sound was very smooth, so much that I returned the C5 and have since been using a Topping Nx-1 instead. Underpowered, most probably. Better clarity and detail retrieval, to my ears, definitely. I only listen at low to moderate volume levels

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #493 of 1,039
@ceemsc @Dobrescu George i would like to update, currently i couldn't open sound even at 3 o'clock at low gain at Fiio A5. :) I think i got what i want with a DAC. Thanks for your helps. By the way, DAC works with all android mobile devices with above configuration i mentioned but i have problem with apple devices, i could solve it anyhow. Thanks for your time guys..
L3000.gif

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #494 of 1,039
Hi guys,

I bought 3 weeks ago FiiO A5 and Fiio X5II, all new. And I have found that both of them become warm when it is working. And A5 is much warmer than X5II, I would say that A5 is very warm, maybe hot. I wonder if it is normal? What about your A5, guys?

I use A5 + X5II + JVC SZ2000. A5 has settings: Gain - High, Bass - On, Volume ~ 1-2 pm. 

Thank you.

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #495 of 1,039
  Hi guys,

I bought 3 weeks ago FiiO A5 and Fiio X5II, all new. And I have found that both of them become warm when it is working. And A5 is much warmer than X5II, I would say that A5 is very warm, maybe hot. I wonder if it is normal? What about your A5, guys?

I use A5 + X5II + JVC SZ2000. A5 has settings: Gain - High, Bass - On, Volume ~ 1-2 pm. 

Thank you.

It does tend to get warm but i wont call it hot at any stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back