The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW, 19Vp-p, 12 hours
Mar 4, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #466 of 1,039
  @Dobrescu George The main question is when i just plugin my headphone to A5 at low gain. I don't hear any sound improvements that much. What should i wait from A5 if it's setting is "bass->offf" and "gain->low"? What should i hear? What should be different? Thank you.

What are you plugging it in and how? 

A5 has its own sonic signature, it has a smooth top end, not really rolled off but way smooth, very detailed sound, a very good depth to sound, good width and black background. 

IF youre plugging it in the headphone output instead of the line out, it is possible for it to sound worse than the headphone output because you're double amping the signal...

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #467 of 1,039
You can see my setup at this picture: https://1drv.ms/i/s!AtPmCSfRntNllDxcMVKxtX3USG9A

DAP(ipod headphone output) connects to A5's lineout via aux cable. DT 770 connects to A5's headphone out. That's all. Am i missing something?

Mar 4, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #469 of 1,039
  My current set up is like this

ipod headphone out is connected to A5 via Aux cable. DT 770 is connected A5 via A5's headphone out. Is there something wrong or do i miss something? @Dobrescu George

The setup you're using is loading dirty signal to A5. ipod headphone out is a dirty signal which had already been amped so you're not loading pure signal to your A5, the sound cannot be better and will be the same at best - the explanation being that athe signal entering A5 is allready dirty. 

You need a device that has a line out to connect A5 to.

For your ipod, you need an ipod line out cable, FiiO used to make one named L3. I have no idea if those are this produced, but this is an image of what you should be using. This provides a much better signal to A5, providing a clean signal. Double amping is always going to degrade audio signal when amping.

Note: There are more and I don't know which is still in production, but you should be able to fins something similar around 
beerchug.gif

Mar 4, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #470 of 1,039
My setup. Lighting to 30 pin connector (which has a Wolfson DAC inside) plus FiiO cable.
Can't really tell much of a difference compared to when fed from much more expensive DACs.

Mar 4, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #471 of 1,039
  My setup. Lighting to 30 pin connector (which has a Wolfson DAC inside) plus FiiO cable.
Can't really tell much of a difference compared to when fed from much more expensive DACs.

I'm actually into ESS DACs, like really love those as Wolfsons are warm, but either way if it works for you, you're set to be happy! 

BTW, this might sound strange, but at the point you have that setup isn't the lighting connector put under strain? Like, the upcoming FiiO Q5 which works via BT might be considerably better for iPhone users who don't want this kinda connector since lightnning connectors are much smaller and frailer looking when compared to the old connectors. 

Mar 4, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #472 of 1,039
I don't carry that setup around. I have the iPhone and the E12 close to each other sitting either on my couch or a table.
For carrying, I think you can bend the FiiO cable into shape, as many do when the pile the iPhone on top of the amps.

Mar 8, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #475 of 1,039

​ I have both and they are close. I do not push either to max but I do not have any high impedance cans besides the Beyer T1 (600 ohm)
The Cayin has more power via spec but the A5 is dead silent in the background so I prefer it

thanks your opinion, i think i prefer a5 too, but i want the best for jvc sz2000 (need lots power)

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #479 of 1,039
  @Dobrescu George do i have to get a DAC with that cable like @HotIce ? Because just using "3.5mm Audio Line Out + 30pin Usb Dock Cable for Iphone Ipod" (i cant share external links you need to google it to see cable, sorry) didn't work.

Sorry, but I am not an expert about this, but given the looks, it really looks like you can connect the 3.5mm directly to A5 without experiencing distortions. 

Mar 8, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #480 of 1,039
@Dobrescu George
do i have to get a DAC with that cable like @HotIce
? Because just using "3.5mm Audio Line Out + 30pin Usb Dock Cable for Iphone Ipod" (i cant share external links you need to google it to see cable, sorry) didn't work.

Am I right in saying that you don't need a DAC? The iPod DAC had already done its work & you only need a line-out to A5 with one of the aforementioned lighting cables to avoid double-amping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back