The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW, 19Vp-p, 12 hours
Feb 28, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #452 of 1,039
Comments on this are earlier in the thread.

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #453 of 1,039
Sure can, I use this with a 770 250Ohm primarily.

actually i saw a seller sell dt990 600 ohm with bundle fiio A5 for $279.
for the price, i think that's a great deal. but i'm not sure it will handle hungry cans like dt990 600 ohm, since i don't know how the calculation is. i am noob
some say high impendance is hard to drive, some say low impendance low sensitivity is hard to drive

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #454 of 1,039
  actually i saw a seller sell dt990 600 ohm with bundle fiio A5 for $279.
for the price, i think that's a great deal. but i'm not sure it will handle hungry cans like dt990 600 ohm, since i don't know how the calculation is. i am noob
some say high impendance is hard to drive, some say low impendance low sensitivity is hard to drive

Impedance is not that close related to drive. 

High impedance cans have really sensitive drivers, while low impedance have less sensitive drivers (harder to move)

Either approach has the same potential to sound good. 

About the power required, it literally depends on the headphone. Ultrasone DJ1P is way harder to drive than Dj1, but you will drive both with the volume pot before 12 o'clock from A5 + high gain. 

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #455 of 1,039

Impedance is not that close related to drive. 

High impedance cans have really sensitive drivers, while low impedance have less sensitive drivers (harder to move)

Either approach has the same potential to sound good. 

About the power required, it literally depends on the headphone. Ultrasone DJ1P is way harder to drive than Dj1, but you will drive both with the volume pot before 12 o'clock from A5 + high gain. 

xo will fiio A5 drive dt990 600 ohm?

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #458 of 1,039
Hello,

I started head fi with DT 770 250 ohm with Fiio A5 set up. If i don't open the high gain on Fiio A5, the sound of headphone is not loud enough even at highest volume of A5. Is this a normal situation?

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #459 of 1,039
  Hello,

I started head fi with DT 770 250 ohm with Fiio A5 set up. If i don't open the high gain on Fiio A5, the sound of headphone is not loud enough even at highest volume of A5. Is this a normal situation?

You just like your music loud? 
biggrin.gif

Depends how loud you actually go, but shouldn't be this way. At any rate, enabling high gain provides more than enough volume around 2-3 o'clock for you, so you're probably just into loud sound. Take care of your hearing though... 

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #460 of 1,039
I figured I'd cross-post here. 

I have an LG V10, and I'm thinking about getting this, or a DragonFly Red. What will sound better? I've heard the DFR, and it definitely sounds better than my V10.

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #461 of 1,039
  Hello,

Is your source turned up all the way? My understanding is it's best to turn up the source, then the amp. But I could be mistaken. 

Mar 3, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #462 of 1,039
I've been wondering about this for a while now, will the sound quality be affected if you use long cables with say impedance 0.9 - 0.5 ranges from the dac lineout into the A5 or any other amp? i measured the resistance on the fiio ic and its .02 <-- damn...

Mar 4, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #463 of 1,039
@Dobrescu George if i am correct, low gain of fiio A5 gives you 0 db improvements of sound loudness level, so that setting is just for driving the headphone, it should be? Since i am new at all this head fi thing i expected a good volume gain or loudness when i just plugin the amp to the headphone while it is on low gain but there isn't. So i am a little bit disappointed. Later if i open high gain i don't hear any distortion of sound and generally speaking for the most of tracks i use 11-12 o'clock with amp volume button. When i raise it to 2-3 o'clock i got that loudness for sure but it is kinda different from my cheap headphones and i believe that is because the characteristics of dt 770 250. since dt 770 250 is my first entery level headphone i think i shouldn't expect loudness or much volume gain, but again i am not sure. Because there aren't a lot of equipments around me right now. And i will try to be in a silent place while listening, thank you, does it effect the headphone that much even it is closed one?

@shuto77 Yes the source has highest volume. When i first arange this setup, i underestimate the importance of dac. And i didn't think dac will improve sound loudness and quality that much. For instance i use iphone SE with these and it is simply the worst audio output i have ever seen, even my onboard sound card is better. "Sidenote: Don't buy i phone se if you want to listen from it, definetely the worst choice as a dac. " Later i used an ipod from 2010 and the sound improvement was impressive. So i decided to add a dac to this set up and i consider to buy USB dac with ES9018k2m. I wish this dac would give what i want.

The main question is when i just plugin my headphone to A5 at low gain. I don't hear any sound improvements that much. What should i wait from A5 if it's setting is "bass->offf" and "gain->low"? What should i hear? What should be different? Thank you.

Mar 4, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #464 of 1,039
  @Dobrescu George if i am correct, low gain of fiio A5 gives you 0 db improvements of sound loudness level, so that setting is just for driving the headphone, it should be? Since i am new at all this head fi thing i expected a good volume gain or loudness when i just plugin the amp to the headphone while it is on low gain but there isn't. So i am a little bit disappointed. Later if i open high gain i don't hear any distortion of sound and generally speaking for the most of tracks i use 11-12 o'clock with amp volume button. When i raise it to 2-3 o'clock i got that loudness for sure but it is kinda different from my cheap headphones and i believe that is because the characteristics of dt 770 250. since dt 770 250 is my first entery level headphone i think i shouldn't expect loudness or much volume gain, but again i am not sure. Because there aren't a lot of equipments around me right now. And i will try to be in a silent place while listening, thank you, does it effect the headphone that much even it is closed one?

@shuto77 Yes the source has highest volume. When i first arange this setup, i underestimate the importance of dac. And i didn't think dac will improve sound loudness and quality that much. For instance i use iphone SE with these and it is simply the worst audio output i have ever seen, even my onboard sound card is better. "Sidenote: Don't buy i phone se if you want to listen from it, definetely the worst choice as a dac. " Later i used an ipod from 2010 and the sound improvement was impressive. So i decided to add a dac to this set up and i consider to buy USB dac with ES9018k2m. I wish this dac would give what i want.

The main question is when i just plugin my headphone to A5 at low gain. I don't hear any sound improvements that much. What should i wait from A5 if it's setting is "bass->offf" and "gain->low"? What should i hear? What should be different? Thank you.

Not sure what the question is 
redface.gif

2-3 o'clock at high gain is pretty loud, most I can say so far is please take care of your hearing... 

I've been wondering about this for a while now, will the sound quality be affected if you use long cables with say impedance 0.9 - 0.5 ranges from the dac lineout into the A5 or any other amp? i measured the resistance on the fiio ic and its .02 <-- damn...

Using longer cables can affect the sound in many ways, name crossfeed, inductance, impedance and so on. 

The question is whether the changes are audible and that is hard to answer.

My simple mood changes and such will affect sound more than different AMPs or DACs sometimes, because mood swings matter more to even how focused you are on music alas how well you can distinguish things so don't worry too much. I'm sure that adding a few OHMs of resistance isn't going to kill your sound - you want to be careful of how the cable is built inside but I trust FiiO cables to make good cables that don't change sound. 

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #465 of 1,039
@Dobrescu George The main question is when i just plugin my headphone to A5 at low gain. I don't hear any sound improvements that much. What should i wait from A5 if it's setting is "bass->offf" and "gain->low"? What should i hear? What should be different? Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back