The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW, 19Vp-p, 12 hours
Feb 24, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #437 of 1,039
  how long does the A5 take to charge using its stock usb cable to pc?

i used the stock cable app but used a fast charger and it took about 2.5 hours but YMMV

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #438 of 1,039
  how long does the A5 take to charge using its stock usb cable to pc?

It varies a lot depending on what current your USB port provides. For example, some provide full 2A while others provide 500mA so any answer might be a bit off from your actual results, especially if you have an older PC, or if you don't have enough power in your power supply.

I recommend using external charger or using a US 3.0 port 
biggrin.gif

Time should be less than 3 hours with good power - depending whether you're using it at the same time or not. 

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #439 of 1,039
ah it fully charged within 3.5hrs, since i forgot to turn it off and only noticed it after it was full, lol 
tongue.gif

is it ok to replace this cable with a standard usb 2 cable (carry both data and power)? the stock cable is so short.

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #440 of 1,039
  ah it fully charged within 3.5hrs, since i forgot to turn it off and only noticed it after it was full, lol 
tongue.gif

is it ok to replace this cable with a standard usb 2 cable (carry both data and power)? the stock cable is so short.

Sure! 

You shouldn't suffer any differences. I don't think that I've used the stock USB any time because it was a bit short and I use outlet power.

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #445 of 1,039
  doesn't the X5 already have a very good dac/amp? the A5 on it is redundant isn't it?

The OP-Amps on X5-3 are different from A5. A5 runs on Muses02 OP-Amps and high power, you are probably going to want to use A5 if you like black backgrounds, soundstage depth and details. A5 is a very nice amp, albeit I have very little time spent with it. 

Feb 26, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #446 of 1,039
  doesn't the X5 already have a very good dac/amp? the A5 on it is redundant isn't it?

Yes - the new X5iii has a pretty good amp already.  You may want to use an add -on amp if you are driving harder to power headphones, or if you wnat to extend the battery life, but not using the X5iiis amp section (you may get around 13 hours or so - depending on how you use the device).

The OP-Amps on X5-3 are different from A5. A5 runs on Muses02 OP-Amps and high power, you are probably going to want to use A5 if you like black backgrounds, soundstage depth and details. A5 is a very nice amp, albeit I have very little time spent with it. 

Yes the OP amps are different, but TBH I don't hear:
 - a blacker background
 - more soundstage depth (thats more a factor of the recording and the transducers than the DAP)
 - more detail (unlikely unless you are using headphones which are pretty hard to drive and the X5ii does not have enough power)

Biggest issue with the X5iii + A5 is that the A5 has too much power, so not useful for IEMs (generally).  Too little play on the pot. Means that you have to go to variable line-out, which may (haven't tested) affect battery life.

For anyone simply driving IEMs though - I'd suggest just using the X5iii.  Why add bulk if you don't need to?

Feb 26, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #447 of 1,039

Yes - the new X5iii has a pretty good amp already.  You may want to use an add -on amp if you are driving harder to power headphones, or if you wnat to extend the battery life, but not using the X5iiis amp section (you may get around 13 hours or so - depending on how you use the device).

Yes the OP amps are different, but TBH I don't hear:
 - a blacker background
 - more soundstage depth (thats more a factor of the recording and the transducers than the DAP)
 - more detail (unlikely unless you are using headphones which are pretty hard to drive and the X5ii does not have enough power)

Biggest issue with the X5iii + A5 is that the A5 has too much power, so not useful for IEMs (generally).  Too little play on the pot. Means that you have to go to variable line-out, which may (haven't tested) affect battery life.

For anyone simply driving IEMs though - I'd suggest just using the X5iii.  Why add bulk if you don't need to?

Sorry, spent time mostly with A5 + other DAPs, and even so too little to be certain of what I'm saying. I still remember how exciting the sound of my First Gen X5 was when I added E12A 
gs1000.gif

Since A5 and E12A were based off the same internals, I thought that it would change the sound in a similar way. I will get more listening time with A5 when I can 
beerchug.gif

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #448 of 1,039
Volume match carefully George (and not by ear).  get someone else to switch when doing comparisons.  There are a variety of reasons to use an amp.  Some of the claims around the improvements with use of one will disappear when testing properly (IMO anyway).

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #450 of 1,039
Sure can, I use this with a 770 250Ohm primarily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back