The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW, 19Vp-p, 12 hours
Jul 24, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #736 of 1,039
Thanks for the recc. Looks exactly what i want .

Yup, I have both the A5 and the Mont Blanc. The most sensitive IEM I have is the Magaosi K5. It is very picky, and will hiss on a lot of gear. It’s black as can be on the Mont Blanc.

I basically use the A5 for hungry full size headphones, and the Mont Blanc for IEMs. Which makes sense, because that’s what each of them are designed for.

Lemme know if I can answer any other questions about one vs the other, photos, measurements, etc.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #737 of 1,039
Just for kicks, anyone know of a more powerful battery-operated portable headphone amp than the A5?

I do have the A5 but sometimes I just want more oomph. Don’t ask why :)

Aug 9, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #739 of 1,039
Wow, what a discussion... As I said, looking into the non-loaded FR of the amplifier does not necessarily show the whole picture. Do you guys have a circuit diagram of the A5? I couldn‘t find it anywhere... It‘s very possible to have an amp that will have an ideally flat responce into open and non-flat into a non-linear load... Depends on how the negative feedback / gain control is implemented...

All the cans I‘m currently using tend to bloat the bass without enough damping, particularly the Momentum in a paasive mode and the W5000. As a matter of fact, Momentum in the active mode did not show the bass increase, I forgot to mention this initially... And an active mode in Momentum of course is equal to a flat load seen by the source...

So, actually, based on this, I think this amp will probably indeed not have this bass increase with high impedance HPs, because they usually represent a much flatter load than some of the low-impedance cans...

Ok, I‘ll go listen to my new toy, actually this little Amp is really nice, my W5000 sounds with it almost as good as with the HA5000, I really like what I‘m hearing...
sounds great! I am looking for a portable amp for my w5000. Could you please talk a bit more about the w5000 under this fiio a5?Thanks!

Aug 16, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #740 of 1,039
Hi,
Im wondering if the A5 has exactly and I mean EXACTLY the same sound signature as E12a? In that case I would get it.

I got myself the LCD-2 and started to looking for a headphobe amp. Tried many amps, all the way up to 1000$, and the one I choosed was E12a. Because of its very very unique sound.
Its far from being technically best but man this thing got personality. Paired with LCD-2, It gives me that thick smokey jazz clubb sound. It sounds compressed in a very hi-fiish way. Some very expensive tube-amps do that.

And now I see that A5 is E12a with more power? Cause that would be the only thing I would improve. Even though if you like this kind of sound signature, then your not into loud volumes.

Anyway, anyone here got both of them? Then I would appreciate a short short comparison.

Aug 16, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #741 of 1,039
Hi,
Im wondering if the A5 has exactly and I mean EXACTLY the same sound signature as E12a? In that case I would get it.

I got myself the LCD-2 and started to looking for a headphobe amp. Tried many amps, all the way up to 1000$, and the one I choosed was E12a. Because of its very very unique sound.
Its far from being technically best but man this thing got personality. Paired with LCD-2, It gives me that thick smokey jazz clubb sound. It sounds compressed in a very hi-fiish way. Some very expensive tube-amps do that.

And now I see that A5 is E12a with more power? Cause that would be the only thing I would improve. Even though if you like this kind of sound signature, then your not into loud volumes.

Anyway, anyone here got both of them? Then I would appreciate a short short comparison.

Mine sure sound exactly the same.

I agree with you about the sound - I love it. Some people don’t, saying it’s too warm or not cold and detailed. But that’s the Muses02 magic I suppose :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #742 of 1,039
Mine sure sound exactly the same.

I agree with you about the sound - I love it. Some people don’t, saying it’s too warm or not cold and detailed. But that’s the Muses02 magic I suppose :wink:

Oh thats very good news. E12a with more power is what I was looking for.

If you dont immediately get scared by the warmth and instead start to listen, you notice its detailed as hell. Thats what makes it sound more expensive.

Aug 16, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #743 of 1,039
Oh thats very good news. E12a with more power is what I was looking for.

If you dont immediately get scared by the warmth and instead start to listen, you notice its detailed as hell. Thats what makes it sound more expensive.

The Muses02 gives a warm tube-like sound (yet with great detail and clarity) in a convenient solid state form. I know that’s why FiiO used it in the E12A, and continued to use it in the A5.

I remember when the E12DIY came out, a lot of people bought Muses02 op amps for the best sound possible. The problem is that 95% of them on eBay and Aliexpress are counterfeit. If you buy them from Mouser etc they are genuine, but cost $30-$40 each. So the fact that you are able to buy an E12A or A5 for ~$100 is impressive, because both come with genuine Muses02 worth 1/3 of the overall cost.

The other thing that’s great about the A5 is you get the extra power (at the expense of some battery life), but you can swap the op amp for those that feel the Muses02 is too warm.

Aug 16, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #744 of 1,039
The Muses02 gives a warm tube-like sound (yet with great detail and clarity) in a convenient solid state form. I know that’s why FiiO used it in the E12A, and continued to use it in the A5.

I remember when the E12DIY came out, a lot of people bought Muses02 op amps for the best sound possible. The problem is that 95% of them on eBay and Aliexpress are counterfeit. If you buy them from Mouser etc they are genuine, but cost $30-$40 each. So the fact that you are able to buy an E12A or A5 for ~$100 is impressive, because both come with genuine Muses02 worth 1/3 of the overall cost.

The other thing that’s great about the A5 is you get the extra power (at the expense of some battery life), but you can swap the op amp for those that feel the Muses02 is too warm.

I know the price is sick. I was actually so close not to try it just because of the price. Tought it was too cheap, cant be no good.

What are you pairing it with? Im using it with chord Mojo. It gives it even more detail

Aug 16, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #745 of 1,039
I know the price is sick. I was actually so close not to try it just because of the price. Tought it was too cheap, cant be no good.

What are you pairing it with? Im using it with chord Mojo. It gives it even more detail

I normally use it with an xduoo X3, but have also paired it with my SSD-equipped iPod, and my Sansa Clip+. All 3 devices run Rockbox.

I use the E12A with my IEMs and the A5 with my full size cans.

Aug 19, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #747 of 1,039
Sep 4, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #749 of 1,039
dropping by to share, looking for amp to support my DAP drive my Headphone.. audition in local store, my eyes is to A5... the store offered Mojo, luckily they don't have demo for it. (edit, some coworker lend me Mojo, hmm.. different league... but IMO best pair for mojo is with smartphone... )

Continuing audition A5 with HD668b and DT990 pro, significant increase on both phones, then the store offered bstock of E12A, give it a try since the price is attractive.... gezz... it give a bit colour for DT990 Pro, IMO.. but the omph on HD668b is more with A5.

Interestingly is different between E12A and A5...
in the end I choose.... due to price =p

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #750 of 1,039
The E12A seems thicker to me, but both have enough power for most dynamic driver cans. I don't believe the power capability of the 990 is that high, so the E12A should do fine there, and I believe it might smooth out it's somewhat accentuated highs. I don't know about the 668's though. I have both amps, and the only thing I'd change about the A5 is the volume knob, I wish they kept the E12A volume knob knurling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back