The Exploration of Metal and Progressive Rock
Jan 10, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #526 of 660

Quote:

Regarding Blitz's voice on "Years Of Decay", he sounded perfect but explaining why is to hard. I felt he sounded perfect somehow...

I went back to that album recently and thought Blitz's vocals were a bit nasally.  I think he sounds better on recent albums, but to each his own!  I still think it's the best album they have but that's coming from a guitarist's perspective.  Glad you like it though!

Jan 10, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #527 of 660
I wouldn't call The Who progressive rock, but you should definitely check them out. I recommend the albums Who's Next and Who Are You. Not sure which album the song eminence front is on, but you should listen to that track too.
beyersmile.png

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #528 of 660
One of my all time favorite albums is Dark Angel's Time Does Not Heal...what an album!, produced by Terry Date also.

"9 songs, 67 minutes, 246 riffs!" this is how the album was promoted
eek.gif

One of the heaviest bands at the time, too bad there was never a reunion...Hoglan delivered a stellar drum performance as always
wink_face.gif

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #529 of 660
Quote:
Quote:

Regarding Blitz's voice on "Years Of Decay", he sounded perfect but explaining why is to hard. I felt he sounded perfect somehow...

I went back to that album recently and thought Blitz's vocals were a bit nasally.  I think he sounds better on recent albums, but to each his own!  I still think it's the best album they have but that's coming from a guitarist's perspective.  Glad you like it though!

Nasal yes, but the emotion of the lyrics was carried by his delivery. If I want technically excellent vocals I still have a weak spot for Dave Byron. Uriah Heep might not be your cup of tea but his vocal versatility was fascinating. Besides that "Years Of Decay" sounded as if a Jazz or Funk guy did the studio work and the vocals matched the music, end of story... 

Regarding 'Progressive Rock', I now call it the grey areas that blur the boundaries of the genres as they are and make it into something else as the sixties and seventies amply demonstrated. Progressive music is more exact, mostly instrumental is even better...

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #530 of 660

Quote:
One of my all time favorite albums is Dark Angel's Time Does Not Heal...what an album!, produced by Terry Date also.

eek.gif

One of the heaviest bands at the time, too bad there was never a reunion...Hoglan delivered a stellar drum performance as always
wink_face.gif

I've never really listened to Dark Angel.  But 246 riffs! I HAVE to check that out....

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #531 of 660

Quote:
Quote:

eek.gif

wink_face.gif

I've never really listened to Dark Angel.  But 246 riffs! I HAVE to check that out....

If you get a hold of the cd, check the lyrics...it's almost like a psycology book on the darkest subject matters of human emotions
ph34r.gif
. grab a magnifying glass though (yes they are that long)
tongue.gif

Jan 11, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #532 of 660

Quote:

I know what you mean his voice just really goes together with Overkill's sound.
Overkill is one of the only thrash bands with a good voice.

Sometimes voices just work right.

Tom Waits probably wouldn't work with other types of music but with his music it does.

Nightwish a metal band with a female opera type singer was a really amazing combo.
The new singer doesn't quite sound right.... although I still liked their last album.

Sometimes a group just has that perfect nucleus with their singer other bands you think ehh they could have a better or more unique singer the singer is holding them back etc....But they are still good.Some bands are good despite their singer.Some bands the singer is just making the music not work.
And sometimes they just get it later like Helloween with their 3rd singer finally got a special voice.
Some bands want a voice like some other band has but not every group is going to have that perfect element or special voice.

Jan 11, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #533 of 660

Quote:
P.S. I should check out some music by The Who and U.F.O. too...

UFO has been on your to get list for awhile.
I still say the album Obsession is a great introduction to them.
Force It or No Heavy Petting for something with more variety Lights Out can work too but I think the other three are much stronger and solid.

Jan 11, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #534 of 660
Slow going, sorry for that... The Who and U.F.O. are next though, good music is so well priced now it is almost painful knowing you cannot listen to everything nor make time for everything. There are some killer deals on Classical Music too. I could not pass up on the "Early Music" series from the Harmonia Mundi series: interpretations of music from ancient times to the sixteenth century.

I also went for Cream's album "Disraeli Gears" today while I could not find Mountain's first album. 

Jan 11, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #535 of 660
just got into 'Seventh Wonder'

decent prog.rock band

Jan 11, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #537 of 660

Quote:
Seventh Wonder are great.  The new album The Great Escape is fantastic.  Also love Mercy Falls.

I began with Waiting in the Wings, the 2 you mention are already here, soon i'll be listening to them

Jan 17, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #540 of 660
The Who's wowing my cans the most with:

- Pinball Wizard
- Amazing Journey
- Baba O'Riley

Standard tracks when getting to know new headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back