The Exotic Fruit Forum
Dec 14, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #18 of 71

Quote:
Quote:
When it comes to fresh ripe mango, my fav is the Hayden mango that we have here. Chilled, I can eat till the stomach hurts.

We eat breadfruit every season--goes good with butter. yum

Semi ripe li hing pickled mango or shoyu mango is all good too.

Yuuup

Dec 14, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #19 of 71
Remember, to some places in the world Peaches and Apricots are exotic and fantastic.

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #21 of 71

This photograph shows a White Mango tree in season. Most of the mangos are ripe. As you can see, getting them is another story all together.

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #22 of 71
Forgot about the soursop. I like custard apples but I like soursop more!

Quote:
Did you take that picture yourself?

Nope. Live too far south to grow these.

Quote:
My favorite fruit has always been mountain apple.

http://islandbreath.blogspot.com/2009/10/ohia-ai-mountain-apple.html

I've always found these a bit tasteless?

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #23 of 71
Wondering if anyone has tried durian fruit? Never tried it myself but i hear its pretty potent stuff.

Dec 15, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #25 of 71
I really liked the flavor of these when I was in the tropics:

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #26 of 71

Quote:
Can anyone confirm for me if these are the fruits in Vietnamese called "breast-milk fruit"?

It may be a dialect or slang term, but not in standard Vietnamese -- they're Măng cụt, which I think is a phonetic rendering of mangosteen.

Quote:
Wondering if anyone has tried durian fruit? Never tried it myself but i hear its pretty potent stuff.

The king!  What sets durian apart from any other fruit is the complexity of the flavour, different tastes varying from fruit to fruit, and even within different parts of the same fruit (like a good wine!).

Growing in Cambodia:

And the flower; the fruit needs a pretty strong stalk to hang from!

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #27 of 71
  ^Very popular that is for sure. I wish I liked it. Glad people like it. The way it has a power to smell up the air is amazing. It has to have one of the most powerful smells on earth.^

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #28 of 71
Thank you God, for letting me live in a tropical country called Indonesia.... Here, all those fruit is easy to get, when in season ofcourse :D

Quote:

Ths one is called manggis here in Indonesia... those sour-sweet taste is great!!!
Quote:
Another one of my favourites are just coming into season around here

Oooohhh nice Rambutan!!! So red!!!
Quote:

Yes, i've heard of loquat and had a huge tree (about 30 yrs old) in my back yard. Had to take it down years ago as it's roots were buckling and damaging the concrete slab in my patio. Also got tired of constantly pruning and raking the tons of fallen leaves generated by the tree. I also had a small seed lychee tree that was planted around the same time as the loquat tree. We also took it down because it was getting huge and it wasn't bearing any fruits after nearly a decade of trying different methods to get it to bear fruits. When it did bear fruits early on, we had tons of lychee to enjoy and more than enough to share with my neighbors and relatives. In the end it only generated alot of work to continually prune the tree and rake it's leaves.

Along with lychee, I do enjoy longan (dragon eye):

Prices lychee and longan runs about $5 a pound when they're in season.

The one called longan is called klengkeng here. The sweet taste is great!!! THis is the 1st time I saw the full fruit of Lychee, usually I found the canned one....
Quote:
It's apple, pear, and citrus season here. I envy you guys in tropical places.

The 4 seasoned country do have their own exotic fruits... I personally wanting to taste persimmon...

Quote:

Durian is very, very strong fruit, the taste, the fragrant, even the skin. Some people, like me, found the taste and fragrant to be the best fruit ever, but some people can't stand the taste. Even smelling the fragrant make them dizzy. This is why Durian is prohibited in some place like airport, hotels, etc. Before you try the real fruit (if you got the chance), try smelling it first. If you found it okay, then go ahead try the fruit, but if somehow it make you dizzy or even vomit, then stay away.
Quote:
I really liked the flavor of these when I was in the tropics:

Is that sweet tamarine? If yes, I used to steal this fruit from the tree behind my elementary school building complex LOL. I and my friends doing it when the recess usually :D

Oh yes, the mountain apple is known as Jambu merah locally here. There are other fruits similar to it: Jambu air, jambu ijo/jambu hijau, and jambu darsono. The jambu darsono is very similar in appearance but more deep red both in skin and in flesh. The core is smaller too. And tasted very sweet. Jambu Ijo/Jambu Hijau, like the name, is coloured green. When young, the fruit is light green, and get deeper the more mature it get. Even when young, the fruit is sweet, the mature one is very, very sweet.

Have anyone taste Sawo Kecik http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manilkara_kauki? It's yummy!!! It's known as Caqui or Wongi

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #29 of 71

Quote:

This photograph shows a White Mango tree in season. Most of the mangos are ripe. As you can see, getting them is another story all together.

That technology exists in Hawaii.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Forgot about the soursop. I like custard apples but I like soursop more!

Quote:
My favorite fruit has always been mountain apple.

http://islandbreath.blogspot.com/2009/10/ohia-ai-mountain-apple.html

I've always found these a bit tasteless?

I get soursop from my neighbor. 

Mountain apple can run mildish but not quite tasteless. The trick is to get the purple ones from the right trees. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back