The evolution of the RS-1
Feb 26, 2007 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

pedalhead

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi @. I'm looking to buy a pair of RS-1s & haven't decided whether to go for new or a pair from the classifieds. I've heard the odd mention here & there of "original" style RS-1s versus the later ones. My question is...has the RS-1 evolved at all since it's introduction, or has it stayed pretty much the same? If there are differences throughout it's production run, do they alter the sound at all? Cheers!

Feb 26, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi @. I'm looking to buy a pair of RS-1s & haven't decided whether to go for new or a pair from the classifieds. I've heard the odd mention here & there of "original" style RS-1s versus the later ones. My question is...has the RS-1 evolved at all since it's introduction, or has it stayed pretty much the same? If there are differences throughout it's production run, do they alter the sound at all? Cheers!

Original has flat pads, which alters soundsignature dramatically, to bassier one. Newer ones have bowl pads that are now standard in every grado, more mid-treble energic sound.

Feb 26, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 13
Also, the older models are hard to find, but some claim they sound better than the newer ones.

Feb 26, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 13
leather headband and wood cups colour is different. some say build quality is better on the older RS-1's.

Feb 26, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Thanks Maza. I guess the pads are interchangeable though? Wasn't there a difference in wood colour or something as well? I'm sure I remember reading that somewhere.

Yup. Grado pads are very easy to change. TTVJ sells both flats and bowls, so whichever you get (new or old RS1), you can get the flavor of another by getting other pads.

VERY old RS1 also came with woodcase IIRC, but they are really hard to find.

Feb 26, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 13
The older ones have a circular cut out on the metal support rings. New ones are square. Most significant difference is the pads. I would go for an older one, but thats just me.

Feb 26, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

My question is...has the RS-1 evolved at all since it's introduction, or has it stayed pretty much the same? If there are differences throughout it's production run, do they alter the sound at all? Cheers!

I can't say whether the sound has changed over the years, but I can say that the older RS-1s appear to be cosmetically better finished than the newer ones. I base this observation on the three RS-1s and 1 MS-Pro that I've own(ed), the dozen or so pics I"ve seen of them on Head-Fi, and the half dozen I've seen and handled at the meets I've been to. I'm guessing that some manufacturing change at Grado likely happened (I estimate in late 2005) that accounts for the decline in quality and/or inconsistency.

Feb 26, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #10 of 13
Older original RS1's have brown leather headbands, and came in a nice wooden box. Typically the wood of the ear cup is a darker, or more darkish red mahogany. The workmanship / build quality on the older version seems to be better, or at least more consistent. Some who own both the older and newer versions claim that the older versions sound better.

Some have speculated that the old versions have a slightly different driver but it also could be that the older version are more broken-in due to the fact that they are older. I don't know if this is true, or not, could just be urban legend.

I'd say if you have a choice in the matter, seek out a older RS1.

- augustwest

Feb 26, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #11 of 13
Nicely summed up, cheers. Now, just to find a nice pair (so to speak
wink.gif
)

Feb 26, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #12 of 13
I have compared two new RS1 vs a very old one (wooden box). The best result in sound I had with the new one with flat pads. The new RS1 sound more in electrostaic direction (clear and transparent), the older one more like a tipical wooden sound, better med, but not the same openess and clarity. You need to match them with the more indicated amp (for each kind of RS1), and for the sound you are looking for or you love more. (I have tested the 3 Grados on the Cary 300 SEI and Leben CS-600).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back