The everchanging thoughts of a college student regarding music
Oct 18, 2014 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Garraty

100+ Head-Fier
Hello to all those who cared to read the title and read the post anyway (kudos to you),

I have taken the care to form this thread to clear an opening in which you (fellow Head-Fier/ lurker) and I can chat about music. For those of you who are somewhat amused (highly unlikely), slightly miffed (more likely) or confused (definite), I will post reviews of various musical albums and other things lurking in my oh-so mystical mind in this here thread (the one you are reading) and then you will presumably give me recommendations on what albums you'd like me to review, thoughts on the album or piece of music I reviewed and anything on your mind. 

I thought about creating this thread in the Music subsection of the forums, but this seems more apt. (moderators, feel free to move or delete this thread, if needed) Of course, the real reason I created this thread here is to get myself more acquainted with my fellow Head-Fiers considering I haven't posted much lately or checked here lately.

Now, I feel as if I need to make a single statement (one I hope not to repeat): Music is completely subjective. If you don't like my take on the album or piece of music I have reviewed, that's completely fine. You are free to say so and explain why. But pleaseDO NOT ramble on how I simply do not 'get' the music or insult me with ridiculous, immature humor (unless it is sarcastic or in good humor) and the like. Moreover, respect other Head-fiers and please do not go off-topic on specific things not relating to this thread for pages and pages (such as Beats-bashing, how euphoric your new headphone cable makes your headphones sound, etc...). Simple. Thanks, doll.

Now, this is a site that focuses on headphones but I feel at times here, people get too enamored by headphones and such that they almost use headphones in order to decipher and analyze sound rather than actually listen to music. The aims of this thread are to get fellow Head-Fiers to enjoy their headphones with good music, discover other, new, interesting music here that they may like and provide a place where people can talk about music, headphones and such. New reviews will be posted whenever I can (which can vary from a week to two months).

[Yeah, I did dick a lot in the first paragraph but rest assured, this thread will be serious and well-written. (Pfft, yeah right.)]

So, my current gear:

Headphones:
Sennheiser HD 419

Amp(s):
N/A

Sources/DAC(s):
N/A

Reviews:

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 29
"The everchanging thoughts of..." is a great name for a journal thread, but since this is specifically about music, it may have indeed been more prudent to post it in the Music section.

Care to tell us more about which artists you like and which albums you are planning on reviewing soon?

Feel free to check out my profile to see my diverse tastes in music. Who knows, it may give you an idea or two!

Oh, and I have a free music thread, if you would like more material to work with.

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 29
  Less talk more rock.  What's going on in that 'college student regarding music' playlist of yours?

I'll post an October playlist at the end of the month so you guys can get an idea of what I discovered this month. I will say however, I recently found Africa by Toto thanks to a recommendation by my sister and it is definitely an earworm!

"The everchanging thoughts of..." is a great name for a journal thread, but since this is specifically about music, it may have indeed been more prudent to post it in the Music section.

Care to tell us more about which artists you like and which albums you are planning on reviewing soon?

Feel free to check out my profile to see my diverse tastes in music. Who knows, it may give you an idea or two!

Oh, and I have a free music thread, if you would like more material to work with.

I listen to mostly alternative and indie rock but I dabble-  my favorite artists are as per the usual, Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Sufjan Stevens, Jeff Buckley, Wilco and The Smiths. Clearly not very varied. I've definitely been meaning to check out some other artists like Bob Dylan (blasphemy, I know) and Sigur Ros and delve into other genres.

EDIT: How stupid of me- forgot to answer the question. I'll be reviewing some of my favorite albums personally affected me more than anything. As to what albums specifically, well you'll just have to wait and find out. 
wink.gif

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 29
  I'll post an October playlist at the end of the month so you guys can get an idea of what I discovered this month. I will say however, I recently found Africa by Toto thanks to a recommendation by my sister and it is definitely an earworm!

I listen to mostly alternative and indie rock but I dabble-  my favorite artists are as per the usual, Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Sufjan Stevens, Jeff Buckley, Wilco and The Smiths. Clearly not very varied. I've definitely been meaning to check out some other artists like Bob Dylan (blasphemy, I know) and Sigur Ros and delve into other genres.

EDIT: How stupid of me- forgot to answer the question. I'll be reviewing some of my favorite albums personally affected me more than anything. As to what albums specifically, well you'll just have to wait and find out. 
wink.gif

Ah, so your "a bit of everything" preference wasn't entirely accurate.
tongue.gif

Sigur Rós is my favorite post-rock band!

I'm more into metal and electronic genres, but here are a few rock artists I like:

A Perfect Circle, Coldplay, Collective Soul, Deftones, Electric Light Orchestra, Finch, Foo Fighters, Fuel, Green Carnation, InMe, Jesu, Korn, Lifehouse, Linkin Park, Mae, Marilyn Manson, Miranda Cosgrove, P.O.D., Papa Roach, Passenger, Silverchair, Staind, Static-X, Third Eye Blind

(Not all of them are rock bands per se, but have at least a few rock-style songs.)

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #7 of 29
You know what pisses me off... lol the number of times I've failed to get any one to follow my Journal threads xD so I'm going to live my DREAMS through you 

Though I'm actually a College student my self so I can dig the thread I suppose. Though the issue I'm facing right now is... do I stop enjoying Master of Puppets to listen to a new band >.> and I think Cliff's going to keep me around... for another 2 minuete's... then once the song is over I'll move onto the album you listed... maybe >.> 

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #8 of 29
  You know what pisses me off... lol the number of times I've failed to get any one to follow my Journal threads xD so I'm going to live my DREAMS through you 

Though I'm actually a College student my self so I can dig the thread I suppose. Though the issue I'm facing right now is... do I stop enjoying Master of Puppets to listen to a new band >.> and I think Cliff's going to keep me around... for another 2 minuete's... then once the song is over I'll move onto the album you listed... maybe >.> 

If you (or anyone) would like to see which metal bands I like, I listed a few dozen favorites in this post.

(Notice the lack of Metallica in the list.
tongue.gif
)

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #9 of 29

Thanks for the support Mshenay! Don't forget, if you want me to review one of your favorite albums you can just ask me in this thread or contact me via PM. Hope you guys enjoyed the review and I'll see you next post.

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #10 of 29

If you (or anyone) would like to see which metal bands I like, I listed a few dozen favorites in this post.

(Notice the lack of Metallica in the list.
tongue.gif
)

MEtallica after Cliff Burton Died is terrible, but with Cliff I still think they are one of the best metal bands of the 80s

Oct 26, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #11 of 29
Don't forget, if you want me to review one of your favorite albums you can just ask me in this thread or contact me via PM. Hope you guys enjoyed the review and I'll see you next post.

Okay, review these!
bigsmile_face.gif

Akira Yamaoka: Silent Hill 3 Original Soundtrack (trip hop)
Amethystium: Isabliss (ambient electronica, neoclassical darkwave, world)
Antaeus: De Principii Evangelikum (black metal, death metal)
Boards Of Canada: Geogaddi (electronica)
Children Of Bodom: Follow The Reaper (melodic death/power metal)
Collective Soul: Collective Soul (alternative rock, post-grunge)
Dargaard: Eternity Rites (neoclassical darkwave, dark ambient)
Deftones: White Pony (alternative metal, experimental rock, nu metal)
The Dillinger Escape Plan: Irony Is A Dead Scene (experimental metal)
DJ Fresh: Louder (drum and bass, dubstep)
DMX: It's Dark And Hell Is Hot (hip-hop, gangsta rap)
Dominion III: Life Has Ended Here (electronic/industrial black metal)
Eiko Shimamiya: Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni (J-pop, techno, trance, electropop, industrial)
Eminem: The Marshall Mathers LP (hip-hop)
Evergrey: In Search Of Truth (progressive/power metal)
Fear Factory: Mechanize (industrial/groove/death/thrash metal)
Finch: What It Is To Burn (screamo, emo, post-hardcore, alternative rock, pop punk)
Green Carnation: Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness (progressive metal, gothic metal, art rock)
Ice Ages: Buried Silence (dark electro, industrial)
In Flames: Colony (melodic death metal)
In Flames: Reroute To Remain (melodic death metal, melodic groove metal, alternative metal)
John Tesh: One World (classical)
Katatonia: The Great Cold Distance (depressive rock/metal)
Kenichiro Fukui: Einhänder Original Soundtrack (techno)
Limbonic Art: Ad Noctum - Dynasty Of Death (symphonic black/industrial/thrash metal)
The LOX: Money, Power & Respect (East Coast hip-hop, hardcore hip-hop)
Mega Ran: Black Materia: Final Fantasy VII (chip-hop)
Moonspell: Night Eternal (gothic metal, melodic death metal, melodic black metal)
Nevermore: Dead Heart In A Dead World (progressive/groove/thrash metal)
Opeth: Damnation (progressive rock)
Old Man's Child: In Defiance Of Existence (melodic/symphonic black metal)
Paula Cole: Greatest Hits: Postcards From East Oceanside (adult contemporary)
Rotting Christ: Theogonia (melodic black metal, progressive metal, extreme metal)
Samael: Reign Of Light (electronic/industrial metal)
Sarah Brightman: Eden (classical crossover)
Savage Garden: Savage Garden (pop)
Savage Garden: Affirmation (pop)
Shining: V - Halmstad (depressive black metal, rock)
Sigur Rós: Takk... (post-rock, ambient, art rock)
Steve Roach: Mystic Chords & Sacred Spaces (ambient)
Third Eye Blind: Third Eye Blind (alternative rock, post-grunge, power pop)
Tristania: World Of Glass (gothic metal, symphonic metal, death/doom metal)
Ulver: Kveldssanger (dark folk)
Underoath: The Changing Of Times (metalcore, post-hardcore, screamo, melodic hardcore, indie rock, emo)
Zao: (Self-Titled) (metalcore, industrial metal, experimental rock)
Zyklon: World Ov Worms (industrial death/black metal)
Various Artists: Attack On Titan Original Soundtrack (orchestral, rock, metal, folk, electronic, etc.)
Various Artists: Final Fantasy XIII-2 Original Soundtrack (various genres; my favorite OST of all time)
Various Artists: Killer Cuts (dance, metal, etc.)
Various Artists: The Legend Of Zelda 25th Anniversary Special Orchestra CD (orchestral)
Various Artists: Trancewerks Anthems Non-Stop Mix (trance)

...Whoops, you said one of my favorite albums! XD

But hey, at least I'm helping you expand your horizons and keep the thread alive! All those releases are exemplary representatives of their respective genres.

Disclaimer: if you dislike any of those genres, there's no point reviewing them. ^_^

Oct 26, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #12 of 29

Okay, review these!
bigsmile_face.gif

Akira Yamaoka: Silent Hill 3 Original Soundtrack (trip hop)
Amethystium: Isabliss (ambient electronica, neoclassical darkwave, world)
Antaeus: De Principii Evangelikum (black metal, death metal)
Children Of Bodom: Follow The Reaper (melodic death/power metal)
Collective Soul: Collective Soul (alternative rock, post-grunge)
Dargaard: Eternity Rites (neoclassical darkwave, dark ambient)
Deftones: White Pony (alternative metal, experimental rock, nu metal)
The Dillinger Escape Plan: Irony Is A Dead Scene (experimental metal)
DJ Fresh: Louder (drum and bass, dubstep)
DMX: It's Dark And Hell Is Hot (hip-hop, gangsta rap)
Dominion III: Life Has Ended Here (electronic/industrial black metal)
Eiko Shimamiya: Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni (J-pop, techno, trance, electropop, industrial)
Evergrey: In Search Of Truth (progressive/power metal)
Fear Factory: Mechanize (industrial/groove/death/thrash metal)
Finch: What It Is To Burn (screamo, emo, post-hardcore, alternative rock, pop punk)
Green Carnation: Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness (progressive metal, gothic metal, art rock)
Ice Ages: Buried Silence (dark electro, industrial)
In Flames: Colony (melodic death metal)
In Flames: Reroute To Remain (melodic death metal, melodic groove metal, alternative metal)
John Tesh: One World (classical)
Katatonia: The Great Cold Distance (depressive rock/metal)
Kenichiro Fukui: Einhänder Original Soundtrack (techno)
Limbonic Art: Ad Noctum - Dynasty Of Death (symphonic black/industrial/thrash metal)
The LOX: Money, Power & Respect (East Coast hip-hop, hardcore hip-hop)
Mega Ran: Black Materia: Final Fantasy VII (chip-hop)
Moonspell: Night Eternal (gothic metal, melodic death metal, melodic black metal)
Nevermore: Dead Heart In A Dead World (progressive/groove/thrash metal)
Old Man's Child: In Defiance Of Existence (melodic/symphonic black metal)
Paula Cole: Greatest Hits: Postcards From East Oceanside (adult contemporary)
Rotting Christ: Theogonia (melodic black metal, progressive metal, extreme metal)
Samael: Reign Of Light (electronic/industrial metal)
Sarah Brightman: Eden (classical crossover)
Savage Garden: Savage Garden (pop)
Savage Garden: Affirmation (pop)
Shining: V - Halmstad (depressive black metal, rock)
Sigur Rós: Takk... (post-rock / ambient / art rock)
Steve Roach: Mystic Chords & Sacred Spaces (ambient)
Third Eye Blind: Third Eye Blind (alternative rock, post-grunge, power pop)
Tristania: World Of Glass (gothic metal, symphonic metal, death/doom metal)
Ulver: Kveldssanger (dark folk)
Underoath: The Changing Of Times (metalcore, post-hardcore, screamo, melodic hardcore, indie rock, emo)
Zao: (Self-Titled) (metalcore, industrial metal, experimental rock)
Zyklon: World Ov Worms (industrial death/black metal)
Various Artists: Attack On Titan Original Soundtrack (orchestral, rock, metal, folk, electronic, etc.)
Various Artists: Final Fantasy XIII-2 Original Soundtrack (various genres; my favorite OST of all time)
Various Artists: Killer Cuts (dance, metal, etc.)
Various Artists: The Legend Of Zelda 25th Anniversary Special Orchestra CD (orchestral)
Various Artists: Trancewerks Anthems Non-Stop Mix (trance)

But hey, at least I'm helping you expand your horizons and keep the thread alive! All those releases are exemplary representatives of their respective genres.

Disclaimer: if you dislike any of those genres, there's no point reviewing them. ^_^

I swear to gawd Music has a giant post he just keeps adding links to... that exists soley to be Copied an pasted at will xD 

Oct 26, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #14 of 29

Okay, review these!
bigsmile_face.gif

Sigur Rós: Takk... (post-rock, ambient, art rock)

Heard a few songs by these guys, though not an entire album. (except for Eminem (who hasn't)- who I maintain has incredible flow and lyricism but whose topics rarely expand more than street-gutter topics unlike groups such as Wu-Tang Clan and Public Enemy, unfortunately rap and hip-hop today concerns itself mostly with dark, minimalistic, industrial beats and brag, which begin to drag after a while (much like the chipmunk beats back in 04'), but if done right, it can be well-done) 

That being said, I would like to make the point that all genres have their own respective redeeming factors and thus, one should try to listen to them with an open mind. People who claim that classical music is simply 'boring' or that rap isn't 'real music' (you know who you are, people who say 'I say Led Zeppelin, you say 'Lady Gaga') should try to expand their boundaries, and that is why I am trying to do so here. End rant. (EDIT: Oh god, didn't mean to sound that pretentious there like I'm some holy saint of music or something, just that I meant I'll review anything, as long as it's good)

You can bet your ass I'll be reviewing some hip-hop or rap soon enough, though Eminem's not on the top on the list. Expect to see an October 2014 playlist coming sooner or later.

Oct 26, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #15 of 29

Heard a few songs by these guys, though not an entire album. (except for Eminem (who hasn't)- who I maintain has incredible flow and lyricism but whose topics rarely expand more than street-gutter topics unlike groups such as Wu-Tang Clan and Public Enemy, unfortunately rap and hip-hop today concerns itself mostly with dark, minimalistic, industrial beats and brag, which begin to drag after a while (much like the chipmunk beats back in 04'), but if done right, it can be well-done) 

That being said, I would like to make the point that all genres have their own respective redeeming factors and thus, one should try to listen to them with an open mind. People who claim that classical music is simply 'boring' or that rap isn't 'real music' (you know who you are, people who say 'I say Led Zeppelin, you say 'Lady Gaga') should try to expand their boundaries, and that is why I am trying to do so here. End rant. (EDIT: Oh god, didn't mean to sound that pretentious there like I'm some holy saint of music or something, just that I meant I'll review anything, as long as it's good)

You can bet your ass I'll be reviewing some hip-hop or rap soon enough, though Eminem's not on the top on the list. Expect to see an October 2014 playlist coming sooner or later.

U like Hip Hop, how much of Kool Keiths Catalog have you heard :3 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back