The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only.
May 16, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #1,276 of 2,141
The SW-8 is sounding great ~5 days in. Time to ruin it all and mod the modded switch.

-3M AB5100HF on the clock
-Mundorf Angelique 15.5 awg copper/silver/gold alloy DC umbilical, with crimp connections & pins treated with Furutech Nano Liquid.
-a small piece of fo.q ta-102 on the lid.
IMG_20230304_110506.jpg

If the Angelique works out here I may continue replacing the other wiring (though I don't think it's rated for AC)
How did the upgrades work out? I ask as am contemplating doing one or more of these to the SW-8, its cousin the OCK-2, and my Hypex Nilai (definitely the Mundorf Angelique + Furutech Nano for internal wiring for the latter).

May 16, 2023 at 6:22 AM Post #1,277 of 2,141
Can't say I went back to stock to a-b. But no regrets. I've always had good results from the use of Angelique in DC power supplies. I ended up adding Angelique to my hypsos too for a nice little bump in natural sq.

I also went back in later and added Cornell dubilier .01uf bypass caps onto the two aluminum organics lhy put on the main switch board.

Looking back on the lhy mod, I'd recommend removing one or both of the jst connectors and going direct to board or using solder cup terminal pins to facilitate the use of larger wire gauges than would fit into the PCB through holes.

On the Nilai -- I don't know if that amp has chassis mount xlrs or PCB. If it does, try replacing them with Furutech XLR connectors, and check out Neotech's cu-ag 20-20 alloy wire for connecting them to the PCB. I recently did this mod on my purifi and it was surprisingly bigger than any of the switch or power supply mods.

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #1,278 of 2,141
1684954284858.png
5F513280-4029-43E8-BDAE-8D13918B9532.jpeg
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/54748-optimising-network-adaptor-settings/

Wonder if anybody also try this and get the same result. More softer treble, airy, not as forced....

Burnin in the AfterDark Constellation Gieseman X1 Ethernet Adapter. Music is very upfront, literally feels like it should burnin for 2000hours. I cant say if it also the new LHY LPSU80VA which powers the card and the jcat. The whole setup is almost new, alot of burnin is awaiting, but those changes did make some difference, can´t decide if its better.

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #1,280 of 2,141
Thanks for sharing this -- I hadn't seen it before. Will give it a shot, though i wonder if OA or Fidelizer already address some of these settings.
I use windows server 2022. Never experience windows “10” this good

Even supports Directx12 ultimate

No xbox or microsoft store. Snappy!

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #1,281 of 2,141
Thanks for sharing this -- I hadn't seen it before. Will give it a shot, though i wonder if OA or Fidelizer already address some of these settings.
Wonder what fidelizer does. Maybe even better experience on Server2022

May 24, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #1,282 of 2,141
Oh -- since this is the relevant thread:
I broke down and added a stock GS108E in front of my lightly modded LHY SW-8. Easy enough for $30, and the resulting sound is a bit more natural & holographic/further detached from the speakers. Will be running it off a spare HDPlex 200w LPS once connectors arrive.

May 24, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #1,283 of 2,141
Oh -- since this is the relevant thread:
I broke down and added a stock GS108E in front of my lightly modded LHY SW-8. Easy enough for $30, and the resulting sound is a bit more natural & holographic/further detached from the speakers. Will be running it off a spare HDPlex 200w LPS once connectors arrive.
Excellent, that was my experience too with this combo. IFi Power X on the Netgear. Adding an iFi LAN iSilencer into the chain improves it further.

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #1,284 of 2,141
I run straight into my pcie Afterdark X1 from WAN port 1 and NAS on 2. Burnin has made alot of change so far. I like this character.

I even unplugged the baaske network isolator. Not even good enough. Damn!

Network chain:ISP/WAN-Router/Netgate 2100 -switch out -> cable(CAT8 -> LAN) -> port 1 on Afterdark card - bridged with port 2/NAS/CAT8.....
_

I like this lifelike representation. But warnings follows even though Im amazed with this experience of system change…

1. Afterdark X1 does not work without masterclock.
2. I had to screw off allen screws an replace with strips to make room for another pcie
3. Also isolate the threading on the 75Ohm/10Mhz input with green tape:
9BDEF159-E226-4D78-9BB1-CFA98E55AA12.jpeg

This card WONT WORK WITHOUT external clock, no matter how hard you try with drivers

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #1,285 of 2,141
Yeah, that clock doesn't have a clock on board to fall back on from what I understand. IMO that card looks really interesting. The intel base card is supposed to be good, and IME (from adding a similar shield to the USB XE) carbon fiber shielding makes a nice improvement in a computer environment.

IMG_20230314_182902.jpg

May 24, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #1,286 of 2,141
Yeah, that clock doesn't have a clock on board to fall back on from what I understand. IMO that card looks really interesting. The intel base card is supposed to be good, and IME (from adding a similar shield to the USB XE) carbon fiber shielding makes a nice improvement in a computer environment.

IMG_20230314_182902.jpg
Is that a JCAT? loooooks amazing!!! I need one. How???

May 24, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #1,288 of 2,141
May 24, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #1,289 of 2,141
not really, just grab some carbon fiber, probably 1.5-2mm thickness for this. figure out your cut placement/template, and cut it out using a dremel with a grinding wheel attachment. cut it out slightly oversized, then file/sand down to final size. drill holes to match the holes on the card, and attach using standoffs (get a multi-size standoff kit from amazon, they come in handy). My standoffs were m3, which didn't match the threading on the pcie bracket, so I re-tapped the bracket to m3.

If you do try this, make a carbon fiber cover for both the front and back sides of the card, the back side might actually be more important given the card's orientation in the pc.

edit: it is important to be careful when using the grinding wheel to cut. carbon fiber likes to be cut at high speed. you need to get a feel for it before going in full throttle, because the wheel can shatter and fly anywhere if you change the angle of the dremel while cutting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back