The Ergo 2 discussion thread
Apr 20, 2005 at 5:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

thrice

Member of the Trade:Rockhopper Audio
Hirsch exposed a number of us to the Precide Ergo line of headphones at the last MD/VA/DC meet. I had the oppurtunity to try them out a few weeks before the meet and ordered a pair on the spot. They came in last week and I've been breaking them in ever since. They are fantastic! For $200 they are a steal and may be the best pair of dynamic headphones for under $500....maybe
wink.gif

Here's some info about them and the rest of the Ergo line:

The manufacturer is Precide, in Switzerland.
AFAIK the only US source is United Home Audio Products (aka Jolida):

http://www.unitedhomeproducts.com/index.htm

Ergo prices:

Ergo AMT headphone: ~$600
Ergo AMT 1 amp: ~$300
Ergo AMT transformer: ~$145
Ergo 1 headphone: ~$165
Ergo 2 Headphone: ~$200

Anyway, I wanted to start a thread about them in order to open up some discussion about these under-represented cans. I won't offer a review just yet, or ever, but here are my brief thoughts on them so far:

Soundstage:

In a word, BIG. You can really hear the space. I have a few binaural MP3s around and they are most impressive on these cans. I haven't spent enough time with the K1000 to do a direct comparision, but these are close, in the ballpark at the very least.

Bass:

Deep with lots of impact. The bass is what I listen for first whenever I listen critically. As a classically trained musician you're taught to listen down to the bass and the fundamental of the chord. The bass is the foundation, if the cans don't get it right then everything on top is shaky. These cans get it right. The bass is deep and resonant while tight, fast and detailed. It isn't overpowering though, the mids and the highs shine through.

Mids:

Sweet and focused overall, the upper mids can be a little grainy at times though.

Highs:

Sparkling and clear, on some recordings they can be a little bright though.

Overall, I'd say they are a brighter headphone, but not harsh or brittle. The detail is there and for $200 I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with them.

Appearance/fit:

If you're concerned about appearance you're in the wrong hobby
smily_headphones1.gif
. I find them comfortable, but it does take a little time to find the right fit. Position is important with these headphones, there is a sweet spot and it takes a few listening sessions to find it. That said, they are versatile in that chaging the position alters the sound, so that's nice.

Oh yeah, I was listening to them with a Rotel CD player homemade RCAs (Canare Star-quad with Canare RCAs) an M-cubed (AD8610) and the Ergo 2. They have ~300 hours on them. Burn-in helped a lot.....it usually does
wink.gif

Like I said, I don't intend this to be a review, but more a vehicle for discussion. So discuss
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
thrice

Apr 20, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 33
I saw the Ergo AMT with transformer on Agon, and bought it. I was curious about the Air Motion Technology driver, which actually replaced the electrostatic headphone in their line. Stevieo got an AMT and also an Ergo 2 shortly after, at which time three more of us ordered the 2's. One of us is going to have to review these. To put it simply, these are some of the best values in headphones out there...if you can get past the geek factor. Precide manufactured the Jecklin Float, and the heritage is clear in the newer Ergo line. The angled drivers give a very nice spatial presentation. For the Ergo 2, think AKG K-1000 type presentation for $200. The K-1000 has a bit more finesse, but the Ergo has got a good strong low end, and can be driven by any headphone amp. The Ergo AMT needs a strong amp (RKV can drive it through the transformer, but low end is weak). The Ergo AMT 1 amp drives it, and seems to be equalized for these headphones. With that amp, you've got a very quick full-frequency headphone/amp combo with loads of detail and bass that can blow you out of your chair. More on these when I've got some time to write.

Apr 20, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 33
I saw an Ergo 1 on ebay sell for $70... I passed it up, but only becuase the auction closed at 3 AM. I was VERY tempted...

Garrett

Mar 17, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 33
Hello
smily_headphones1.gif

I was looking at prices for Ergo 2, and they are much different now than you say in 2005! Much higher!

Ergo 2 from UHP is now $550, and Ergo 1 is now $300.

You were very lucky to buy 2 years ago!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #6 of 33
They're odd, strange and damn ugly all at once, they gotta sound good
biggrin.gif
Sadly I've never seen any in the flesh but being a fan of weirdo fones I'd love a set, though I suspect I'd love the AMTs more as they are all the above with even odder drivers. How cool is that! Duggeh is a big fan so there you have it.

After spending quality time with my K1000 I can say I am HUGE fan of having nothing on my ears as most phones end up causing lug irritation of some kind after a wee while. Another reason I love my Stax 003, no lug rubbing
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, these do look intriguing but more than I can strech to.

Mar 18, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #8 of 33
So you're the lucky buyer... congrats!!! If I'd seen it sooner I would have jumped on it too, that was an awesome deal. I recently bought a set of Ergo2s new from United Home Audio for $350 so even with the exchange rate Duggeh had a heck of a deal going...

Even at $350 I have no regrets though, they're truly great headphones. I like them better than everything I've listened to so far by quite a bit. One of these days I'm probably going to have to break down and get the AMT just to see what it's like... be a lot easier if it were still priced where Thrice listed it before.

Ant

Mar 18, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 33
That's strange that they would make such different prices? <
redface.gif
Tell me $550 on the phone, then tell you $350?

Hm, maybe I misunderstood. The man on the phone maybe didn't read very carefully. I called for the prices and he said that they were on the website, so I told him that only the Ergo AMT and its amp were on the website, and read him the prices ($1100 for Ergo AMT, $400 for Amp). Then he said they had the Ergo 2, Ergo 1 and Ergo AMT in stock and that "the better one is $550, the lower model is $300", and I asked if he meant that the "Ergo 2 was $550 and the Ergo 1 was $300?" and he said "yes." But maybe he meant for the Ergo AMT and Ergo 2?

Oh well, I still get a better deal from Duggeh.
smily_headphones1.gif
Just trying to make it clear for other people researching the headphone.

Edit: I wonder what's so great about that AMP Model 2 that it's so much more than the Amp Model 1?

Mar 18, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyface /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hm, maybe I misunderstood. The man on the phone maybe didn't read very carefully. I called for the prices and he said that they were on the website, so I told him that only the Ergo AMT and its amp were on the website, and read him the prices ($1100 for Ergo AMT, $400 for Amp). Then he said they had the Ergo 2, Ergo 1 and Ergo AMT in stock and that "the better one is $550, the lower model is $300", and I asked if he meant that the "Ergo 2 was $550 and the Ergo 1 was $300?" and he said "yes." But maybe he meant for the Ergo AMT and Ergo 2?

Well, with the exchange rate Precide's price of 300 Swiss Francs (CHF) would only translate to around $250 so $550 would seem pretty ridiculous. Not knowing margins, etc. $350 seemed a little high but not that far-fetched to me (after all Grado's European prices are a lot worse) and they were definitely worth it.

Quote:

Oh well, I still get a better deal from Duggeh.
smily_headphones1.gif
Just trying to make it clear for other people researching the headphone.

Yeah, can't beat that. United does list the AMP1 on their website for $400 (which is pretty much in-line with the conversion rate for Precide's price @ 450 CHF being approx $372).

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigster
how do they compare to the Jecklin Floats?

Duggeh has a ranking of his opinion if you check his profile at least for the Float Model 1 and 2 I think.... I haven't heard any of the Jecklins though.

Ant

Mar 18, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Edit: I wonder what's so great about that AMP Model 2 that it's so much more than the Amp Model 1?

The amp 2 is pure class A or class A/B, 3watts/10watts. And it designed specifically for the Ergo AMT, it doesn't have a normal headphone socket. And yeah, its pretty monstrous expensive. About £800 sterling ims.

It shoudl be noted that Precide also make some unique AMT loudspeakers as well as interconnects and speaker cable.

Quote:

how do they compare to Jecklin Floats?

The Ergo phones are simply put, much much better performance headphones. The prices of Jecklin Floats on ebay are reaching silly levels, especially given that 9/10 pairs have perished or missing foam pads and covers. My ears happen to love their sound, but itd be easy not to like them. From my profile:

Duggeh's Dynamic Hierarchy

Ergo 2 > HD650 > HD600 > K701 > Float 2 > Float 1 > Triport > K340 > HD545 > HF-1

Some of those comparisons have had to be made from memory, and theres no representation of how large I find the difference to be. It's also not a just performance index based on the actual capabilites of the headphone. Its based on euphony as well, ie, how it pleases me. Everyone knows that the K340 and the HF-1 can outperform a Triport, and they can also outperform up to the top, but only if they have a sound you like. (just trying to avoid any bose flaming).

Mar 18, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #13 of 33
Maybe he means then that the AMT is $550? That would be pretty sweet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Speaking of the AMT, I wonder if it wouldn't be presumptuous of me to assume that Duggeh believes it worth the AMP2's price to couple it with its intended amp?
smily_headphones1.gif

After trying Grado225's and Ety's ER-4S, I'm really optimistic about the Ergo2's. I know I don't quite like having the sound "on" my ears, I know I don't quite like having the sound "in" my ears...so having it "next" to my ears would logically be what I'll like.
biggrin.gif
There's nothing left!

Once I get these Ergo2's I'm going to try to make an Ergo-emoticon for the forum. it will be the weirdest yet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #14 of 33
If he means the AMT is $550 USD, then id buy a second one. Thats like £300 or less. Retail UK is like £600. ITs odd though because $550 is too much for the model 2 and to olittle for the AMT. $300 for the Ergo 1 is about £155, which is roughtly the same as UK retail though.

I dont know anything about the Amp2 beyond its basic specs. £800 is a lot to put down compared to the £100 or so it took me to set up the Aria tube amp for use with the AMT, with very pleasing results. I must get around to updating the Ergo AMT thread once Ive got this updated amp rig finished.

Mar 19, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Maybe he means then that the AMT is $550? That would be pretty sweet.
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't imagine that - though now I may have to ping them just to see what I get quoted *sigh* dang curiosity .

I'm guessing they just don't get a lot of interest on them and thus get confused. The first time I sent an inquiry via email and got $350 back for the price on the Ergo 2s. When I called back to buy them a couple weeks later he asked "You're the one that sent the email a couple weeks back didn't you?... what did I quote you? $350? Ok, $350 it is then...."

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyface
After trying Grado225's and Ety's ER-4S, I'm really optimistic about the Ergo2's. I know I don't quite like having the sound "on" my ears, I know I don't quite like having the sound "in" my ears...so having it "next" to my ears would logically be what I'll like.
biggrin.gif
There's nothing left!

Well, you still have around your ears (circumaural) to try as well I suppose. However, even with all the mods mine have, I don't think my 225s are really in the same class as the Ergo 2s. So, even if you don't happen to "gel" with them, you should have an enjoyable experience waiting for you nonetheless IMO.

Ant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back