The ER4-P Review
Mar 27, 2009 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

SoliloCey

100+ Head-Fier
[size=medium]The Ear Rape Review
[/size]

[size=x-small]Note:- If you can't be bothered reading all my dribble you can skip to the Executive Summary. I paced a comparison since i was requested by popular demand.[/size]

[size=small][Prologue][/size]

My story starts just a month after acquiring my Stax system. I had never heard headphones sound so good before, and was considering saving up to get the Stax SR-001Mk2. I thought there was now no substitute for music. This lead me to start thinking about upgrading my portable rig.

I am a frequent traveler and user of the public transport to make my commute to the university I am currently attending. Since I have always snubbed In-Ear Monitors for having possibly a worst sound then closed circumaural headphones, I usually carry a pair of Audio-Technica A900Ti's in my backpack.

Though on the occasion when I don't take my headphones, I have found it incredibly annoying hearing teenagers blast there music through their iBuds letting everyone on the train listen to their music. I remember the time when two female teenagers were sharing their iBuds blasting Panic At The Disco! Whilst making conversation. It wasn't just the fact it was loud and they were damaging their hearing, It was the fact I was 7 rows of seating away from them!!

While I am very content with the Audio-Technica's I have come to the conclusion that looking like a human with two large Dome coffee mugs strapped to your head does look a little ridiculous in public. Not just that but they aren't great fun when it comes to storing them when not in use. The there was the fact that I had enough cable to use for skipping on my way to university proved to be another inconvenience.

This altercation lead me to the “High-End” of the In-Ear Monitor world. The world where terms such as Mini, and small are considered too big and bulky. Micro and Nano were terms of the new age, and when Apple finally creates an iPod as smaller and even slimmer, other yet even smaller metric prefixes like pico, and femto will probably be introduced into the mainstream of the English language.

I was in search of a neutral sound, and something with isolation since even on full blast with the A900Ti's I was still able to hear the PA though it was very muffled. This lead me to deciding between the Shure SE420 or the Etymotic ER4-P. After getting many peoples thoughts on between the two I ended up contacting a good friend from Sydney, who sent me the ER4-P's over with some free foam tips to try for a fortnight.

[size=small]
[Equipment][/size]

Etymotic ER-4P #116854
iPod Mini 1G
Blackberry 8300 Curve

P1150502.jpg

[size=small]
[Executive Summary][/size]

The Etymotics were very good. I enjoyed them a lot for their clean, and articulate presentation. The isolation with the tri-flange tips impressed me. I also like how you can carry them about and you know you're not lugging them around, and don't notice them when you're playing your music.

The soundstage was deceiving but I liked how it presented the illusion of having a larger soundstage then my closed circumaural cans. Overall they were great fun, and think they are a brilliant pair of IEM's. The only downside is the bass extension at times, and the bass isn't tight, and can sound very flabby at times.

[size=small][Introduction][/size]

Now As I start my introduction, I'd just like to state how dire my iPod is after 5 years the battery doesn't last half as long as it use too, nor is the sound output on par with my BlackBerry Curve, It will be saying its last goodbyes sometime in the next few months. I am looking at getting an Archos 5 since my music library is over 60 Gigabytes of lossless, and I would like to stick some movies on to my next PMP for those long haul flights to San Francisco and Manchester.

The Etymotics arrived on Friday, March the 13th. Since then I have used them for every time I've gone out, and have tested their isolation against nearly every possible scenario. From public transport to shopping in a mall. The whole aim was to see if the Etymotics had the isolation I wanted, and an enjoyable sound to them too.

[size=small][Build Quality][/size]

Well I can't compare these much to other In-ear Monitors, but I have to say these are very well built Canalphones. The cable is very sturdy, and gives you the feeling its not going to snag, I have to say the cable is looks like more $$ have gone into it the the Audio-Technica ESW9. The phones are nice and solid too, and there is nothing flimsy or delicate I have found in the Etymotics.

[size=small][Comparison][/size]

Some of you Head-Fi'ers have posed me to compare the IEM's with a fullsized headphone, So I pulled out my trusty A900Ti's out, after all the idea of getting IEM's was to replace these in terms of portability.

[size=x-small]{Bass}[/size]

The A900Ti's has never been a bass centric headphone, probably more along the lines of being fun, but more balanced the the A900's. However the Bass extension, the bass impact, and anything to do with the bass of the A900Ti's put the ER4-P to shame.

When I played “Issawn” by Tonedeff. The bass was all there for the AT's the extension was mind-numbing as usual, and gave a great euphoric feeling. When compared to the Ety's the bass was faint, and the extension was utterly pathetic.

[size=x-small]{Mid-Range}[/size]

The mid-range on both is good, but comparing, I have the impression that the Etymotics sound as good because they sound more clear and articulate. I didn't realize until comparing that there's an awful lot of bass sound in the lower mid-range of the Audio-Technica's. I can't say that there's a winner, but I did like the Ety's in this department as it was more clear.

[size=x-small]{Treble}[/size]

Though both presented well in this department, after getting the Stax's I always feel piano's, and cymbals sound artificial and fake on the Audio-Technica's. Again I liked the ER4-Ps in this department though I couldn't hear as much detail or treble, it was clear, and clean, making it easier to hear what was going off.

[size=x-small]{Soundstage, Detail, Positioning}[/size]

The A900Ti's soundstage was far larger, its like comparing the car engine between a Nissan Sunny to a Pagani Zonda S. I am suspect to believe there is more detail in the AT's as well, though the ER4-Ps do a very nice job of detail too.

When It comes down to the positioning of instruments I think that the Etymotics do better in this department, and its also what made me believe that the soundstage on the ER4-Ps were larger then my Audio-Technica's.

[size=x-small]{Isolation}[/size]

The Audio-Technica's isolated a lot more ambeint noise then in comparison to the Etymotic with the foam tips, however when it came to comparing the Etymotics with the tri-flange tips, there was no substitute for the ER4-Ps.

[size=x-small]{Overall}[/size]

At the end of the day if you want better sound, you can't beat full-size headphones. They offer a lot more then what the Etymotics could do. The ER4-P's only had a fighting chance in this comparison due to how I like the clean, and crystal clear presentation. The Etymotics did do better in portability, and isolationg, and I did like the fact how I didn't notice the Etymotics half the time, where the A900Ti's you can feel on you all the time.

P1150504.jpg

[size=small][Impressions][/size]

[size=x-small]{Bass}[/size]

Now I am not a basshead I have come to realized through my choices, I tend to like headphones that are clear and detailed in the midrange, with some bass. It was an intriguing experience for the first few days with the ER4-Ps when I tried them with the foam tips. Everything was a slight disappointment.

The first few days I was struggling to hear any bass, and when I did it was very flabby, the extension was poor, and it felt like there was this space for the bass but was completely missing. As I keep trying to get a better fit with the foams, and get accustomed to the sound I started to notice the bass, though it was very faint in the background.

I kept thinking the first week the Shure SE420's being a little more bass prominent would be the way to go. Now I am a hip-hop head, and I planned one of my favorite bass-centric songs, It became a complete disappointment, It could not replicate the bass extension in any of the full sized cans I have tried before, it was feint, it was there, but the midrange, and treble sang over it.

I eventually bought some Tri-Flange Tips, This was to get more isolation. In the process the bass became incredible more prominent, It is still faint, but its there, and other the past week, I have heard a good extension on them, and the bass quality has improved considerably after using the tri-flange tips. I am also enjoying much more then I thought once I got the tri-flange tips.

However the bass is a little on the light side, I wished there was a greater extension, and bass quality when I want it to be there. Though the bass was enough in the end.
[size=x-small]
{Mid-Range}[/size]

This here was one of the things that caught my attention the second I placed those IEM's into my ears. The clarity is that I've never heard before. It was very good, and the mid-range can easily compete with most full-sized cans I thought at the time.

No matter how gruff the sound sounds, it always seems clear, and pristine in the misrange and treble. Violins, chello's, acoustic guitars. The drums are very nicely detailed and clean sounding. I am very impressed the least to say about the midrange. Crystal clear, nicely detailed, and it sounds like you're not missing any detail, Though comparing between the stax I know Im missing out a lot.

[size=x-small]{Treble}[/size]

The Treble was excellent, the midrange and treble definitely blitzed my expectations, the sound was clear, the DJ scratches, cymbals, and piano keys were very nicely re-produced, giving it a realistic feel. The saxophone in "Admit It" by wordsworth was awesome. Playing jazz music, and hip-hop with samples, or some jazzy feel was very impressive.

There is nothing more to say about the treble. I have played dido, jamiroquai, my folk music from the Andes, and the treble sounds beautiful, as beautiful as the Bond girls, its that good.

[size=x-small]{Soundstage, Detail, Positioning}[/size]

The soundstage was very deceiving I put them on with the foam tips and thoguht “The soundstage must be better then my A900Ti's.” It wasn't until I did a comparison of the soundstage between the two that I realized that it wasn't the case. Yet I'm very content with the soundstage, and positioning with the Etymotic's. They give you a sense they can outdo full-size headphones, though that isn't the case.

The detail was very good, though it was good because it was very articulate and clear, This is no doubt one of the fortes of the ER4-P's and It played a variety of music very well, playing any background sound, and effects not just clear, but very well positioned. The positioning I think gives it the illusion are a large soundstage.

[size=x-small]{Isolation}[/size]

I was disappointed with the isolation to begin with I expected getting these would eliminate practically all sound from the train I'd expect to hear, I was hoping that I I would not hear a bus run me over. For the first week with the foam tips this was not the case, Playing the iPod at half to 2/3rd's of the volume I could still hear the train's chime for the door closes, the PA was clear, and loud, and the sound was the trin was quiet but audible.

I went shopping in David Jones, and the sound was gone, however on the streets of Perth construction noises were there, and buses could be heard. However the very next week proved to be a different story.

I tried the tri-flange tips and with no fussing over like I had to with the foam tips, I got the Tri-Flange in nice and easy, I played the music at half volume, it was wonderful! No train noises, no chimes, no annoying female PA voice saying what's the next stop. It was amazing how well these tri-flange isolate, when I was on the bus I could not hear the bus accelerate, or even hum. I could feel it, but I couldn't hear it.

This was finally the isolation after, Actually the only thing I once did hear was when one of the buses was honking at me, I had just got off the very bus and was walking across a zebra crossing. The bus was honking as it was heading in my direction about to run m over. I stepped aside and let the bus by. It wasn't till I realized in the serenity of Frank Sinatra, and my thoughts that She was wrong for honking at me when I was crossing the zebra crossings. I guess she was jealous that I didn't have to put up with annoying wails of the french children on that bus.

[size=x-small]{Overall}[/size]

Overall this was a great experience, I have come to like the ER4-P, I don't think there could possibly be a better sound IEM after hearing these. Though the bass is on the light side, I am impressed by the detail, soundstage, midrange, treble from the ety's. I really didn't think you could get this kind of clarity, or detail from In-Ears monitors. The microphonics does get annoying especially if you take brisk walks which is what I do at times. I noticed microphonics from the impact my feet were making! The isolation with the Tri-flange tips is what Im after so I don't have to deal with Jet engines going to San Francisco, or Manchester.
[size=x-small]
{Concluding}[/size]

Taking my last session whilst writing this review. I am very pleased and enjoying my music with them on. The bass is definitely there, I think its a matter of getting accustomed to the bass, it is a bit flabby every now and then. Though I do suspect Apple's sound output is to blame. The Ety's do lacks the extension and detail in the bass I would wish to have, but that's only one of it's faults.

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #3 of 31
The bass is great on the Backberry, I suspect its apple ****ty EQ output

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 31
hence the archos solution
o2smile.gif
I might get one, my iPod has had it 4 hours maximum play is saying something.

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #9 of 31
Yeah I've got about 64 gigabyte of lossless on foobarr, and then theres all the new albums that need to be put on the computer... plus I want some movies, the Archos can come in 120Gig, and 250gig.sounds like its the way to go.

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoliloCey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.... and the bass isn't tight, and can sound very flabby at times.

That must be the eq'ing on the Mini because I have never heard that description of an ER4 before. And the better you feed the ER4 the more the bass comes out also in quantity

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #12 of 31
The bass of the ER-4P may be lacking in quantity, but is awesome in quality. It goes so deep, directly in your brain. You need some well-recorded tracks for that, though, and it might not be obvious with poor quality recordings.

One of my benchmarks is the track Eagles - Hotel California. Just before the singing begins there's these two drum hits in the right channel that rattle my skull. The Ety's representation of these is second to none. I've never experienced these sounds better with any other IEM, dynamic phone or floorstanding speakers!

Another awesome track is Nine Inch Nails - Sin and the whole of the albums: Slayer - South of Heaven, Danzing - Danzing, AC/DC - Back in Black and etc. well-recorded and produced albums.

And by the way, a Fiio E5 with bass boost on makes the ER-4P really shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back