The Endgame Headphone - is there an end?
Nov 21, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #17 of 65
HD800 is my "endgame" for at least 4 more years (starting college soon so delaying the 009). Or heck, maybe I will be able to buy them during college but that would be a pretty stupid move and my parents would murder me.

The 009 isn't a straight upgrade from the HD800 when I've auditioned it. The soundstage is actually worse in my opinion (depth and width size), but I'm willing to make a compromise with that because it did everything else better.

Nov 21, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #18 of 65
Thank you @Takeanidea for start this thread.
​I'm a middle age nonsense weird person. maybe my hearing loss is already started. so my auditioning gear is not reliable.
peoples impression/advises/opinions really help me. This thread really help me. Thank you.

Nov 21, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #20 of 65
Where's the L3000?

Nov 22, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #22 of 65
  Endgame will have a lot to do with preferences. More expensive doesn't always mean more enjoyable.

Hi I understand that but this is Summit HiFi. And flagship is the most expensive model from our headphone makers. So we are talking about an elite here, but with no disrespect to people who have found their niche lower down in the price spectrum, but this thread is not for them. It is to indulge the fantasies and dreams of mere mortals amongst the headfiers and maybe give them somewhere to aim in the distant future.

Nov 22, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #23 of 65
Please be aware I can only include 20 headphones- I have not included certain headphones because I can't include every phone on the planet, I have included quite a few of the most popular but I welcome any discussions on others, I just never really really came across any others in my thread started 3 years ago other than the individual owner that would crop up. 
Not many stories from endgamers here- c'mon let's get some good dialogue going ! You're out there I know you are !

Nov 22, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #24 of 65
Please be aware I can only include 20 headphones- I have not included certain headphones because I can't include every phone on the planet, I have included quite a few of the most popular but I welcome any discussions on others, I just never really really came across any others in my thread started 3 years ago other than the individual owner that would crop up. 
Not many stories from endgamers here- c'mon let's get some good dialogue going ! You're out there I know you are !

There was a "have you found headphone bliss" (or something like that) thread a while back, that I know got a lot of views and responses - I shared more about W5000 there. My view is basically that, while I've heard (and even own) some "higher end" (read: higher price/more "forum liked") models, I ultimately just ended up with something that best aligned with my personal sonic preferences, and I'm contented with that regardless of whether or not there is something more expensive or not (and I appreciate that I can have other options, because even steak for dinner every day would get old). IMHO it was never really about seeking "the objectively measurably crowd-approved forum-loved best headphone ever," but finding something that ultimately satisfied my own personal tastes (which were not designed by committee). I can't believe I'm alone in that notion, and I'm guessing that due to that, it's hard for people to provide responses that are very meaningful for others - we all have different end-game goals in mind. :xf_eek:

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #25 of 65
and we're interested to hear about the endgame - there are so many headphones out there that it seems almost unbelievable to think that someone out there has listened to all the perceived best sounding ones and has made their final choice. And yet there are those out there that seem to fit into that category. At headfi meets, it was often the SR009 and SR007 owners that seemed to be content. 
I thought I was an endgamer,  having owned HD800s for 3 years , having sold Audeze LCD 2.2s, Beyer T1s, Stax Sigma Pros, Stax Lambdas and having been to 3 big headfi do's and listened to Orpheus (better but a fantasy financially) SR009s ( better but a retirement present financially) and a whole lot of top phones that I preferred mine to. 
Then I came across a heavily modded HE-6 and it all went back to square one.
The HE-6 ticks the boxes that I am looking for in the bass mids and highs and micro details and soundstage departments. It is obviously still an expensive phone but the HE1000 being the new flagship puts these at a more attainable price second hand. 
The HE-6 is a planar magnetic , having some of the attributes of electrostats whilst still retaining the characteristics of a dynamic. The HE-6 is an extremely difficult headphone to get a decent sound from but once I heard it being driven properly I was wowed.

Nov 23, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #26 of 65
For me it's a Stax, but not one from the list. It's the SR-404. I sold my T1 to buy the SRS-4040 system and I haven't regretted it one bit. I also did a 2 week trade with the HE-560 and it came close, but it was still second best to me.

Nov 25, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #30 of 65
I voted HD800... but it's not that that they are the best, but good enough for me, while being significantly cheaper than the best I have used: Stax SR-009 driven KGSSHV or BHSE. I made a very un head-fi decision and sold much of my headphone gear so money could be used for other activities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back