the end of Audiogalaxy
Jun 19, 2002 at 11:53 PM Post #16 of 25
No, I'm talking about the McLibel lawsuit, where people distributed leaflets about how McDonald's is destroying our environment and exploiting third-world workers, and McDonald's sued one of them for libel. He decided to fight them without hiring a lawyer, fought the longest lawsuit of its kind in British history, and won.

This is the link, but it's not working right now:
http://www.mcspotlight.org/case/

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 20, 2002 at 5:07 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by ai0tron
All the sony gear you own and brag about proves you are an idiot.

You don't want to look at MY profile then
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Maybe Magicthyse's Sony headphone selection may not appear so hot to some, but at the end of the day these things are produced, and they are sold in their tens of thousands.

Just because you HAD a pair of V700DJ Aitr0n (or should I say ai_god), thought that they were the best sounding headphones you could get, and people at Headwize, disagreed with you and put you on a backfoot (Oooh, look at this nice big link that i've put here) doesn't give you the right to do it to people who have a perfectly valid point about something not even related to their headphones
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Anyone can be misguided Aitr0n... even you
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2002 at 5:17 AM Post #18 of 25
I am actually buying waaayyy more cds now then before the surge of mp3 on the net. Because I am exploring a lot of different types of music and i always buy what I like to support the artist and to get the better quality music.

Jun 20, 2002 at 7:12 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Pepsione1
I am actually buying waaayyy more cds now then before the surge of mp3 on the net. Because I am exploring a lot of different types of music and i always buy what I like to support the artist and to get the better quality music.

This is the reason the RIAA is opposed to mp3 distribution. Do you know how much profit they're losing in the diversifaction of the market?

Anyway. Usenet rules. And that's all I've got to say about that.

Jun 20, 2002 at 10:06 AM Post #20 of 25
Oh joy! Another first class response from aiOtron,a turn of phrase
that never fails to brighten my day.
biggrin.gif

On intelectual rights unless express permision is granted by the
holder of those rights I tend to think it stealing when unauthorised copys are made for distribution.
But as ever these things can be rather grey areas and obviously have nothing against personal copies etc.

Music downloads can certainly act as sales incentives.

But the long and short of it most products cost money to develop
and produce,someone has to pay for this.

What would people here think of a competitor who competes in
the hifi industry by taking the exact design of one of their fellows
and passing it of as their own?
It is still theft of intelectual property.

I realize people here are not advocating such exstremes ,but I
remember an individual in another thread who viewed ,music ,
software etc as information and therefore being 'information'
that should be 'free' to all to do with as they wish.

This is all very well if you are a consumer but what of the originator of that 'information' ,the time and effort knowledge
experience etc to create that new 'information' is certainly not
free.
We all need our jobs of work.
whilst large company such as Sony etc can elicit less than favourable comment or sympathy at times ,they do indeed employ
these individuals and they need paying with money,and that
certainly ain't free!

I personally Like most people do not enjoy forking out large sums
of money for stuff but hell I also expect to be paid for my work.

As with anything I think the correct balance has to be struck here.

Setmenu

Team say the bloody obvious
wink.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Jun 20, 2002 at 12:32 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by ai0tron
All the sony gear you own and brag about proves you are an idiot.

YOU are calling someone an idiot?!?

Takes one to know one right?

Typical attitude of someone who was obviously raised by apes.

Jun 20, 2002 at 1:28 PM Post #22 of 25
Someone go get Joe, he wanted to see a flame war, and I have a feeling one is about to start.

Unless people realise how pointless it is to argue over an issue which has been argued over by millions of people over the last few years without a single clear winner.

Jun 20, 2002 at 6:03 PM Post #23 of 25
Setmenu.

Yah, the actual argument is not "information" that is not copywriteable. But 1's and 0's. A cd is a string of 1's and 0's, how can anyone claim to copyright it? When Intel sued AMD for using 486 on their chips and lost it upheld that you can't have intellectual rights to a number. A cd is useless, it has potential only. Additionally, an MP3 is NOT the original sequence of 1's and 0's found on the cd. In fact, one might claim that if anyone has intellectual rights to the MP3 it's the makers of the MP3 codec.

The correct balance has to be struck yes.

First of all, the MUSIC COMPANIES HAVE TO STOP SABOTAGING THEIR DISKS AND CALLING IT "COPYWRITE PROTECTION". I should make cars that don't start and call it "accident protection".

Also, once I buy a disk, I am FREE of the MUSIC companies influence. Anything I do with the disk, is my business. Copyprotecting a disk is exceeding their sphere of influence. They are not a law enforcement agency or a governing body, they only have the right to accuse me of stealing in a court of law, they do not have the right to act on that accusation unless they want to get sued. Which is what is happening, they are being sued. And they will be sued untill they learn.

I just got a car (for graduation) and I have been making copies of my ENTIRE cd collection so I can put them in a binder and leave it in the car. WHY, well, let me tell you about my former roomates girlfriend. She came to visit us here in this LOVELY (sarcasm) town of savannah. She was here for literally 2, maybe 3 minutes, she came inside, said "hi" hugged her boyfriend then walked outside. In that time someone had broken into her jeep, stolen her cd's and some other personal belongings. SO for my own sake, and I know the record company would just luv it if all my cd's were stolen those stupid fucs, I make copies, and I keep the copies in the car. I own all the damn cd's. I DEMAND THE RIGHT TO MAKE AND KEEP COPIES! AS MANY AS I, that is I as in ME WANTS. **** if I want one for the car, my woman, the den, the bedroom, the bathroom, the boat, I should be allowed to make all those copies.

I'm a firm believer in I paid for it, I'll do WHATEVER I please with it. As long as I am not making money, or MASS distributing the cd then everyone should just keep their mouths shut.

The record company is the kind of company that if I were to buy a thousand limp bizkit cd's and publicly denounce them by burning all the cd's in a huge bonfire they would piss themselves with happiness. Instead, buying one and giving a copy to one of my relatives or friends is more wrong somehow. When in reality, my relative never would have heard of or purchased the cd and now they have one courtesy of me and hell they might just become fans of the music.

YAH AND CAPN everytime someone starts this argument someone like you buts in acting like it just doesn't matter anymore. So whos more of a cliche' us or YOU???

Jun 20, 2002 at 7:34 PM Post #24 of 25
I agree with the points you make in that post ai0tron. if you buy a disk, I think you should be able to make copies of them for your own use.

that is however not a right, backed up by law. theres just no law against it. thats why the record companies think it's ok to put copy-protectionon the CDs. and that sucks.

but back to the original point of downloading music from the internet, while their are very good uses for it and a lot of people don't do any harm, I can't deny a lot of people also use it wrongly. of all the people I know (mostly students, the main musically interested crowd but short on cash), only a handfull actually buys CDs. most just dpwnlaod them from sites like Audiogalaxy. now, that could do some serious harm to the music industry. y'know, see it from their point-of-view. that's why they want to shut those sites down, and I don't think that is a very bad idea (despite the fact that I like those sites). that doesn't justify the copy-protection thing tho, that's screwing over the consumers.

(I wouldn't mind doing the main record companies some harm so they might reconsider their attitude towards the consumers tho
evil_smiley.gif
)

Jun 20, 2002 at 8:52 PM Post #25 of 25
aiOtron
Intelectual copyright.
Yeah 1s and 0s what about ABC ?
Is it ok to copy and distribute an authors printed work without
permission then?

Thats Muddling media with message.

Its a matter of trust really isn't It?

We the purchasers are all consdidered potentail thieves.

And we are sold the tools with which we could do the thieving

by the companys who are trying to protect themselves from it.

confused.gif
frown.gif
mad.gif

Setmenu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back