The Eleventh Commandment: "Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Head-Fi'er."
Oct 7, 2009 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26
What do you think about The Eleventh Commandment?

Quote:

[size=x-large]Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Head-Fi'er.[/size]

Should it be posted as a sticky on this site?
Any discussion, comments, ...?

scratch-head01-idea-animated-animat.gif

P.S.
The inspiration for this thread was provided by this.

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 26
I really don't want to sound like Supreme Court Justice Scalia, but I have a creepy feeling that I will anyway. Don't "speak ill" is too unrestrictive, too nebulous. In our inevitable but often lively contretemps, we often use sarcasm and, occasionally, direct derision. We count on the responses of the Head-fi community itself to delineate what behaviors are acceptable. The Mods enforce policies and make authoritative judgment calls in the last resort.

I mean, we wouldn't want to ban sarcasm, would we? That wouldn't be what the Founding Fathers intended at all. Are we going to prevent people from posting pictures of the cruel experiments on animal auditory response and double-blind testing conducted at nefarious research facilities like Grado Labs? Are we going to prevent people from even describing the merciless procedures by which limpid-eyed puppies and kitties are alarmed and over-excited by responsive but somewhat forward drivers? And what if I happen to be an aficionado of the aesthetically sublime and morally ennobling sport of Spanish bull-fighting? Are we simply, bluntly going to limit the lowest frequencies of public discourse? I happen to know a lot of people who listen to headphones who also take an utterly civil pleasure from the spectacle of enraging a Spanish bull by penetrating its shoulder muscles with the barbs of large, colored darts and leading it on a merry though often balletic frolic back and forth across the arena to the intimately responsive but somewhat forward and over-enthusiastic cheers of tax-paying citizens. Will we insist that we cannot openly display the majestic if tragic finale when the matador dispatches the confused and exhausted animal with a single thrust of his sabre. Do we mean to outlaw quail hunting? Shall we deny expressive freedom to those esteemed members of this august forum who incidentally identify their veneration of the authority of the Bishop of Rome with a penchant for Roman bloodsports? You can talk about your passion for Roman bloodsports all you want on couponmom.com. Are we going to deny our members that same inalienable right?

Oct 7, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yak yak yak yak...

Is that counted as speaking ill of catachresis?

:p

Fair dues, but it's to a purpose. It only rates 2x yaks.

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #6 of 26
Your inspiration was based on lock-step party line garbage and suppression of free thought, so your suggestion is an extension of that. I generally agree with your sentiment as common courtesy, but I cannot support a blanket agreement like you are saying. Some people just need to be put in their place.

I do not mind your sometimes inane threads at all, but in the spirit of this one, you are stupid and I hate your emoticons.

Suck on that
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 8, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #8 of 26
How about simply, treating and speaking to others as we too would so choose to be treated. Criticize the ideas or others opinions without attacking the person and there is no need for so-called 11th categorical imperatives beyond the 10...

I've failed at this at times, but am ever more so aware; Though, thanks for the reminder
wink.gif

Be kind, kinda like you like it
wink.gif

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #11 of 26
Wait... I thought there were only Ten Commandments.

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #12 of 26
I don't know about that rule, er, commandment.

Venturing onto the Internets is sort of like going to see ice hockey, NASCAR races or perhaps when the ancient Romans flooded the floor of the Colisseum and staged naval battles.

Deny it if you want, but everyone wants to see the fistfights, crashes and possibly seeing a boat set on fire. Even those who don't normally participate in those activities are often enthusiastic on the sidelines.

Also, enforced niceness sort of operates like a black market. Something might be officially verboten, but if there's demand, it usually sneaks its way back in somehow. Tamp down the ill will and you might see problems unfolding in different ways that circumvent the official rules.

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #14 of 26
I didn't know we had any, much less ten, head-fi commandments already.

I will say that I speak some pretty ill stuff about some head-fiers. I just usually keep it to myself. Honestly, some people will troll. And I may dislike them. Honestly, I wonder sometimes if less people would choose head-fi to do that if people would call them out on their game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back