THE EDDIE CURRENT DM-1 HAS ARRIVED>
May 22, 2005 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Mikey01

Headphoneus Supremus
I have recently recieved the new "Prototype Eddie Current DM-1" on Thursday. Oh Baby, what an amp. Dual mono and tube rectified in design.

I don't want to sound like a bobblegosh with the "amp of the month" syndrome. So I will review it later on HeadFi. Meanwhile my listening continues. I do believe this amp to be an unusually rare sound, deserving extra attention. This is not your every day "they all sound the same amplifier". This is not made like your "run of the mill" "cathode follower tube amp" as so many others produce. Hence, comparisons are difficult to do and to justify. This amp has a much more sophsticated design. So I will review it later on HeadFi.

In the meantime I will work on identifing it's sound characteristics and performance behavior. What a grand chore that is to have. The Dm-1 has been pictured in the "Meet impressions" thread under the recent "Imprompto Detroit Mini Meet". The production model will look very much snazzier with it's own case I have been assured.

But for those who just can't wait and want to get in line early, suffice it to say the DM-1 at $899 is under priced and the sound will greatly satisfy the dollar spent for most all buyers.
wink.gif

May 22, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #2 of 15
congrats Mikey01!

pics?
wink.gif

May 22, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #4 of 15
You arent wrong, the DM-1 is very special and derived from a brilliant design. All kudo's to Craig. And yes, its VERY underpriced!

JC

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
I have recently recieved the new "Prototype Eddie Current DM-1" on Thursday. Oh Baby, what an amp. Dual mono and tube rectified in design.

I don't want to sound like a bobblegosh with the "amp of the month" syndrome. So I will review it later on HeadFi. Meanwhile my listening continues. I do believe this amp to be an unusually rare sound, deserving extra attention. This is not your every day "they all sound the same amplifier". This is not made like your "run of the mill" "cathode follower tube amp" as so many others produce. Hence, comparisons are difficult to do and to justify. This amp has a much more sophsticated design. So I will review it later on HeadFi.

In the meantime I will work on identifing it's sound characteristics and performance behavior. What a grand chore that is to have. The Dm-1 has been pictured in the "Meet impressions" thread under the recent "Imprompto Detroit Mini Meet". The production model will look very much snazzier with it's own case I have been assured.

But for those who just can't wait and want to get in line early, suffice it to say the DM-1 at $899 is under priced and the sound will greatly satisfy the dollar spent for most all buyers.
wink.gif

May 23, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #5 of 15
Hey y'all, any tube rolling sugestions for the DM-1's 6H30PI driver tube. A Western Electric396A maybe??? How about the rectifier tube, a 6AL5?????
280smile.gif
orphsmile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
lambda.gif

May 24, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #8 of 15
?

May 24, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 15
Any idea what it will $retail for? Do you know what the output is?

That 6H30pi tube has a good reputation for spud amps...

Thanks,

Paul

May 24, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slow_aetk
Well it doesn't look very pretty, probably a prototype? It seems to be marked as HD 25?

But with some cosmetics it may have a "killer" look

I am pretty sure it is a prototype built in an HD25 case.

May 24, 2005 at 8:00 PM Post #13 of 15
With the reflexes of a snail, I finally posted my Detroit Mini-Meet impressions here. Under the DM-1 section, you'll see a link to a photo of what the final production version will probably look like.

In case it's not immediately evident in that drawing, the tubes (I'm guessing the 6H30P's) are mounted sideways, and visible through circular glass portholes.

b.gif

May 24, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #14 of 15
I just read your impressions. It sounds like Craig has another great sounding amp on his hands. I am waiting to hear Mike's impressions and comparison to the Moth 2A3 amp.

May 26, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #15 of 15
The picture reminds me of the Joker's (or was it Riddler's) lair on Batman. ///
Please let us know how it sounds, when you are ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back