"The Ecstatic"-Mos Def..anyone listened to it
Aug 21, 2009 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Galesden

100+ Head-Fier
Bought this album a few weeks ago and all i can say is wow. This is one of the best rap albums i've heard in a while. I liked Mos' first solo release "Black on Both Sides" alot. But "The New Danger" and "True Magic" were just so-so. This album really got me back into him. Anyone who thought that Mos was fading..forget it, he's back.

Aug 21, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #3 of 26
that's funny i thought this album was quite awful, i could not listen to it all the way through. his only good one was the debut, new danger was ehhh with a couple ok tracks.

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #4 of 26
Folks say it's great, but I think it's just good. Black On Both Sides is a real landmark.

Aug 21, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #5 of 26
I think it's great, the production is very fitting, it flows extremely well from front to back, and Mos delivers his most consistent performance since BOB, the way he weaves his flow into the music is excellent. I'd say it's the second best Hip-Hop album so far this year, behind Let the Children Die.

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I liked Black on Both Sides, so I'll add this to my list to buy...

Same here. I haven't been keeping up much with new releases, so thanks for posting OP.

Sep 16, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #8 of 26
I resisted posting when this thread came out, because I just wasn't hearing this one and didn't want to bash him. But now that I've listened to it half a dozen times or so, I'm finally getting it. It's a great record. His best by a long shot (including Black Star). It just took close listening for me to hear and appreciate what he was doing.

Sep 19, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #10 of 26
Straight garbage. There, I said it
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by moriez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Straight garbage. There, I said it
biggrin.gif

C'mon…cut the cat a little slack. His grasp of Spanish is pretty darn good on "No Hay Nada Mas." "…claro…"
L3000.gif

Sep 20, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

To be honest I didnt listen that in-depth so didnt make it to that track. I got ''love'' for Mos but cmon, whats with all the crappy violin type stuff?! Not feeling it.

You're dissing an album you have not given a single quality listen to?

Sep 20, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #14 of 26
Youre right. Technically speaking I spoke out a bit early. I couldnt get passed the first 5 tracks because they are garbage. An album that I dont feel from the first second I just lose interest in and have my opinion ready.

When it comes to albums they are just either good or bad and even a few good songs cannot save it from being bad. All that IMHO.

Sep 20, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Youre right. Technically speaking I spoke out a bit early. I couldnt get passed the first 5 tracks because they are garbage. An album that I dont feel from the first second I just lose interest in and have my opinion ready.

When it comes to albums they are just either good or bad and even a few good songs cannot save it from being bad. All that IMHO.

WOW, I couldn't disagree more, many of my favorite albums I was completely underwhelmed with on the first listening, even the first couple of listening and then they just got better with time and as I said, have become my favorites.
Bob Dylan - Modern Times is one such album that immediately springs to mind.

I like Mos Def and was going to get the album the other day but went with something different. I'll have to pick it up next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back