The EarWerkz Penta (EP-5) Discussion Thread
Jan 18, 2015 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 131

moedawg140

Grand Master Moe "G"….Don't crossface me, bro!
Ping Pong Champ: SF Meet (2016,2017), CanJams (London 2016, RMAF 2016, NYC 2017, SoCal 2017, RMAF 2017)

EarWerkz recently announced on Twitter, the addition of a new 5 driver CIEM to their growing stable of universal and custom IEMs.  Above is the picture that was posted.  EarWerkz has been on a roll lately.  They have been in the business for many years, but really started to make traction in the Head-Fi community with their "Supra" Kickstarter IEM.  Several milestones were broken, and backers were able to receive upgrades such as having more faceplate colors to choose from, having two different shell colors, and being able to upgrade to the Estron Linum BaX cable - for free!  EarWerkz also allowed backers to opt for the custom version of the Supra for $35 extra, which was a great way for customers to experience a CIEM - many for the first time.  Also, EarWerkz offers several other CIEMs, and their flagship TOTL model, Legend R, is a sight to behold and is a very engaging listen.

Coming this February will be a different take on the EarWerkz house signature that suits musicians and those wanting a delightful neutral sound signature, by releasing the EP-5 (or simply, Penta).  The Penta is an audiophile version of the EW-5 that builds off of the Supra, and is a more musical and fun take to the EarWerkz house signature.  The Penta is still relatively neutral, so it's nice that there isn't too much deviation, but is still within the realm of the EarWerkz house signature.

Here are some quick specs:

- 5 Balanced Armature Drivers
- 5-Way Crossover
- 5 Bores!
- Updated Estron Litz Wiring
- MSRP $849 

The EarWerkz EW-5 (available now) will still be available for purchase, as it is a 4-way, 3 bore design.

New updates will be posted as details arrive.

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 131
I wonder if these are a completely new ciem or if its an updated EW5? Love to know more as info comes out!

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 131
Five bores. Would that be an industry first?

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 131
I wonder if these are a completely new ciem or if its an updated EW5? Love to know more as info comes out!

The EW-5 will still be available for purchase.  The Penta will be an all-new CIEM - so basically the Penta will be "an addition to" the EW-5.

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 131
Five bores. Would that be an industry first?

I have not heard of any other manufacturer releasing any C/IEMs with five bores other than EarWerkz.  If I am incorrect, please feel free to correct me. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #9 of 131
  The Spiral Ear SE5 also had a penta-bore design

Ah okay, thanks!  I never got to listen to the Spiral Ear series since they weren't available for the U.S.  I know that they are still really difficult to purchase.  I heard that they offer worldwide shipping now, so that's a plus.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #10 of 131
Paging @shotgunshane to contact EarWerkz for a demo review vs Legend and Supra :D

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #11 of 131

Ah okay, thanks!  I never got to listen to the Spiral Ear series since they weren't available for the U.S.  I know that they are still really difficult to purchase.  I heard that they offer worldwide shipping now, so that's a plus.

Well, earwerkz could make the first 5-way penta-bore design that looks good instead of a mess of wires.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 131
Paging @shotgunshane to contact EarWerkz for a demo review vs Legend and Supra
biggrin.gif

I will be creating reviews of both the Legend and Supra, once I receive and burn them in.  SGS already has reviews of both (and impressions of the entire lineup) on CYMBACAVUM.

Well, earwerkz could make the first 5-way penta-bore design that looks good instead of a mess of wires.

The Penta will have the same wire organization as the Legend R.  My Legend R demo looks impeccable and there is absolute zero wire clutter, let alone finding any wire easily (it's a challenge), and the Penta will have updated Litz wiring as well.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #13 of 131
What do more bores do to the sound? Each bore is for one set range of the frequency spectrum as per the crossover?

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #14 of 131
Jan 18, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #15 of 131
I would hazard a guess that there probably needs to be a minimum ear canal size (circumference) to see if you can accommodate 5 bores? Hurray for my large ear canals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back