The Ear Pads Thread (post questions or say what ear pads worked for you)
Aug 31, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #76 of 803
Brainwavz HM5 ear pads (USD17 per pair) can be fitted on Sony DRZX701iP (so I suspect MDRZX1000 too) and with a little bit of stretching onto Beyerdynamic DT770. In addition, Shure 940 can also with a little bit of stretching, fit onto Beyerdynamic DT880.

These are particularly useful to people like me with long ears. And in the case of the Sony 701iP, the original pads are ridiculously thin/shallow.

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #79 of 803
Really? Does this change the comfort much? How about the sound?

The Brainwavz HM5 and Shure 940 are both oval and easily stretches on to the Beyer. The stretching is really quite minimal. The important thing is that although I loved the feel of the Beyer velours, the circular ear cavity was not tall enough for my ears height-wise. After fitting on they are still more oval than circular as far as the ear cavity is concerned.

The HM5 are really soft so I actually inserted para cord into the cavity hence making a deep and squishy ear pad. At USD17 including free shipping globally, it's worth trying.

Note that I don't make any comments on sound. I tend to be not too hung up on sound issues. It may be heresy to say that here. I'm actually glad I don't have golden ears as I feel such people will never find what they are looking for.

Sep 3, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #80 of 803

Brainwavz HM5 pads on DT770. DT880 also fits but I sold those.

Para cord inside.

Sep 3, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #81 of 803
I know exactly how you feel - I put some of the HM5 pads onto my M50s, and I had a flood of inboxes from people asking "How the sound changed" to which I replied "It didn't".

I just know that sometimes if a pad doesn't have a solid fit/seal, it can really have a change on the sound-signature - generally losing sub and mid-bass.. In my opinion, a "good" pad won't do that.

Good to know that they will fit onto the beyers - might just try that out with my DT770s :) Thanks!

EDIT: What's a "Para cord"?

PS: Looks boss. 

Sep 3, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #82 of 803
I know exactly how you feel - I put some of the HM5 pads onto my M50s, and I had a flood of inboxes from people asking "How the sound changed" to which I replied "It didn't".

I just know that sometimes if a pad doesn't have a solid fit/seal, it can really have a change on the sound-signature - generally losing sub and mid-bass.. In my opinion, a "good" pad won't do that.

Good to know that they will fit onto the beyers - might just try that out with my DT770s :) Thanks!

EDIT: What's a "Para cord"?

PS: Looks boss. 

Yeah sometimes head-fiers get all caught up in mumbo-jumbo.

The Americans call it para cord but you know those elastic ropes that have a hook at each end for stretching and tying stuff onto your motorbike etc? That's para cord. It's rubber covered with cloth or something stretchable. I just threw away the hooks.

Sep 3, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #84 of 803
The the para-cord necessary?

It really depends on one's ear shape especially how much it protrudes from the head. I can't use the Sony MDR-1R for example. It may be an over-ear but because the ear cups are so shallow, it might as well be on-ears.

Two 12" para cords only cost USD4. And I only used one 12" for both ear pads :D

Sep 3, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #85 of 803
Quote:

The Americans call it para cord but you know those elastic ropes that have a hook at each end for stretching and tying stuff onto your motorbike etc? That's para cord. It's rubber covered with cloth or something stretchable. I just threw away the hooks.

It is nothing like bungee cord elastic rope at all...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parachute_cord

Pick it up here or eBay
http://www.supplycaptain.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=754&ParentCat=19

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #87 of 803
I have a pair of Beyer DT990 velours on my AKG K240 Studios at the moment; an interesting change over from the stock pleather.

Pros:
-The infamous Beyer pads and the AKG K240s are the perfect combination for comfort.  The ultra light and lightly clamping K240 is converted to the preferable circum-aural style. (Mickey mouse ears like mine will contact the driver enclosure with these pads, which may be an issue for some.)
-Soundstage is more spacious and precise.
-Highs have more sparkle, without piercing any eardrums.
-Bass reduction cleans up mids.

Cons:
-NOBASS.  I might try the DT770 pads next as the DT990 pads limit the K240s to genres of music that don't ask for neutral to emphasized bass.  I've never heard the AD700X but from the descriptions I've read I imagine that the K240s w/ DT990 pads have a similar bass roll-off.
-These pads are 8/10 on a scale of difficulty to install.  They do fit the K240s without modification, but it will take you a good 10-20 minutes of stretching and probably an extra pair of hands to hold the pads stretched while you flip the attachment ring(?) over the rim of the cup.

I'm going to be keeping the DT990 pads on my K240s, at least until my DT880s arrive:)  I was craving an airier-than-my-MadDogs experience and this definitely gave it to me.  The bass roll-off is frustrating with some tracks but it's brought me to new, fun flavors of head-fi, on the cheap:)

The K240s came for $15 by way of craiglist, needing a solder job to the connection in the right-side cup.  If you're browsing this forum and you don't own a soldering iron you are doing it wrong.  These almost made me regret shelling out $300 for my MDs(not really).

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #88 of 803

No, that's elastic rope, or more commonly, bungee cord.
Paracord, or parachute cord, is all nylon and almost unstretchable.  Us DIY'ers building cables are using it lately to decorate things with much nicer sleeving than regular, boring ol' Techflex multifilament where applicable.  Paracord is used to tie things as well, but it requires that you tie knots, unlike with bungee cord.  Bungee cord is also suitable for shock absorption to a degree, unlike paracord.  Paracord is good for making all-weather whips, apparently.

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #90 of 803

Users who are viewing this thread

Back