The Ear Pads Thread (post questions or say what ear pads worked for you)
Nov 7, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #106 of 803
Go for it!
I would love to try the LCD pads on my DT880's but the LCD's are on loan and I wouldn't dare take the pads off.

I stopped in a a local leather supply place and the lambskin there was incredible! Very thin and ultra soft, they don't cut the hides so you have to buy the whole skin. This was about $80 for the hide so I passed, as you need waxed thread and a machine that will sew leather as well to make it look nice. You can hand stitch it if your good at it, I dont have the patience for such things, and the wife gave me the "dont even ask" look when I mentioned it. :D

The MadDog Alpha pads are supposed to be very good and the J$'s are as well from what I have read. You can get a set of pads from Audeze for $80 and they are incredible.

Picture:
https://db.tt/nnMmfXLV

If you do make a set that works out well, please share your pattern in the thread here.
:beerchug:

Nov 7, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #107 of 803
Go for it!
I would love to try the LCD pads on my DT880's but the LCD's are on loan and I wouldn't dare take the pads off.

I stopped in a a local leather supply place and the lambskin there was incredible! Very thin and ultra soft, they don't cut the hides so you have to buy the whole skin. This was about $80 for the hide so I passed, as you need waxed thread and a machine that will sew leather as well to make it look nice. You can hand stitch it if your good at it, I dont have the patience for such things, and the wife gave me the "dont even ask" look when I mentioned it.
biggrin.gif

The MadDog Alpha pads are supposed to be very good and the J$'s are as well from what I have read. You can get a set of pads from Audeze for $80 and they are incredible.

Picture:
https://db.tt/nnMmfXLV

If you do make a set that works out well, please share your pattern in the thread here.
beerchug.gif

Those pads look nice! If I end up trying to make a pair I will be doing it by hand 
blink.gif
 It's going to be a challenge, but it will be awesome to make something nobody else has (minus the HE-6 pads). If anyone here has some old HD580/600/650 pads that have been replaced and are willing to sell them on the cheap, let me know. I'm going to need the plastic backings if I make a pair.

Also, I'll be sure to make a template to post here if and when I do start the project.

Nov 7, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #108 of 803
I put pleather pads from an akg k240 onto my dt880, and it didn't sound good at all. It muffled the treble and caused a large midbass hump. I think the tight seal was the issue here.

Though you may have a different experience with leather, and not to mention the sennheisers are built differently.

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #109 of 803
It is sometimes hard to predict changes in sound.  For instance, I heard almost no change in sound when I changed the stock velours to J$ leather on my DT660s.  But putting J$ leather on the T1s makes them sound awful.  Muddy, boomy, just awful.

You just have to bite the bullet and try.  Most nice leather pads are relatively easy to resell should you not want to keep them.  I really like the Audeze pads for what they fit onto.  I am itching to try a pair of Alpha pads and might buy a pair soon.  

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #112 of 803
  I guess I won't be DIYing pads, I just shipped the HD600s out and will be receiving a Denon D2000 in a few days >:)

Nice!
You will need some nice leather pads for the D2000 as well! 
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #114 of 803
  I will probably be making a pair of those :)
I've wanted to get a pair of D2Ks for a while now, there are so many mods you can do to them. And you know me... 
atsmile.gif

I always look forward to your modifications!
beerchug.gif

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #115 of 803
I will probably be making a pair of those :)
I've wanted to get a pair of D2Ks for a while now, there are so many mods you can do to them. And you know me... :atsmile:

Alpha pads..........yum. Do post on the D2000/D5000 appreciation thread what mods you are doing. I own all three Denons and am always interested in hearing new mods.

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #116 of 803
Alpha pads..........yum. Do post on the D2000/D5000 appreciation thread what mods you are doing. I own all three Denons and am always interested in hearing new mods.

I haven't received them yet. I'll have them next week. But I will be on the appreciation threads afterwards. Ok, now back to pads! I didnt mean to hijack the thread!

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #117 of 803
What are the Pioneer pads made of? And how do they affect the sound of the K340's?

Terry

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #118 of 803
Pioneer SE-A1000 and AKG K340 pads are interchangable.

Shure SRH840/940 pads fit on the entire ATH-T series. Makes the T400/T500 sound brilliant in comparison to the stock pads. Note that while they have 53mm drivers, the cups themselves are pretty much the same size as Shure.

My previous post was a reply to this, What are the
pioneer pads made of, and how do they affect the K340 sound?

Nov 23, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #120 of 803
Well even the 770 880 and 990s are different from each other. They may look the same, but the padding on the insides are different. They're tuned to each headphone. The 770s arethe most firm, the 880 are softer, and iI'm not sure about the 990 as I haven't owned a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back