The Ear Pads Thread (post questions or say what ear pads worked for you)
Sep 17, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #346 of 803
  Maybe you're right, but they are just so ridiculously uncomfortable.. I might have to sell em despite how in love I am with their sound sig (these are my first pair ever).

because the Grado pads are so easy to remove and put back on you may want to try washing them gently by hand with mild to warm water and a liquid dish washing or liquid hand soap to soften them up.

just be sure they are completely dry before putting them back on the ear cups -  softly wring them out making sure no soap residue remains and then let them sit out overnight or use a fan on cool to accelerate the drying process.

the pads will soften up on their own with daily use in due time of course, which i found also improves the over all sound as they bring your ears a little closer to the driver.but that process can take months which is why i prefer washing them by hand every now and again (this also seems to give them a longer life span)

as long as you are gentle while washing them you won't damage the ear cushions,just use a very small dab of liquid soap because whatever scent the soap is will absorb into the pad and while that can be pleasant initially it gets a bit overwhelming if you over do it (i did that the first time and had to wash them out with warm water then wring them out and let them dry about four or five times ,but they were certainly softer afterwards). hope that helps for now.

as for finding a pleather or velour pad that would fit the Grados,i would love to know this as well,and not because i find the pads uncomfortable (as mine are a couple years old now) but just because i like the look,I did purchase the L cush/bowls for my SR80i but don't like how they sound (too distant and they reduce the bass significantly even with the tape mod) so I went right back to my comfies.I would like to find some cushions for my Grado SR80i that are similar to the cushions on Sennheiser HD-25's or Amperior but that hopefully also retain the Grado sound and don't put my ears too far from the drivers,been thinking i may just try a pair of flats from TTVJ as everyone says how great they sound.but am having a hard time reconciling myself with the idea of spending $35 for two foam pads that can't cost more than a couple of dollars to make.

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #347 of 803
  because the Grado pads are so easy to remove and put back on you may want to try washing them gently by hand with mild to warm water and a liquid dish washing or liquid hand soap to soften them up.

just be sure they are completely dry before putting them back on the ear cups -  softly wring them out making sure no soap residue remains and then let them sit out overnight or use a fan on cool to accelerate the drying process.

the pads will soften up on their own with daily use in due time of course, which i found also improves the over all sound as they bring your ears a little closer to the driver.but that process can take months which is why i prefer washing them by hand every now and again (this also seems to give them a longer life span)

as long as you are gentle while washing them you won't damage the ear cushions,just use a very small dab of liquid soap because whatever scent the soap is will absorb into the pad and while that can be pleasant initially it gets a bit overwhelming if you over do it (i did that the first time and had to wash them out with warm water then wring them out and let them dry about four or five times ,but they were certainly softer afterwards). hope that helps for now.

as for finding a pleather or velour pad that would fit the Grados,i would love to know this as well,and not because i find the pads uncomfortable (as mine are a couple years old now) but just because i like the look,I did purchase the L cush/bowls for my SR80i but don't like how they sound (too distant and they reduce the bass significantly even with the tape mod) so I went right back to my comfies.I would like to find some cushions for my Grado SR80i that are similar to the cushions on Sennheiser HD-25's or Amperior but that hopefully also retain the Grado sound and don't put my ears too far from the drivers,been thinking i may just try a pair of flats from TTVJ as everyone says how great they sound.but am having a hard time reconciling myself with the idea of spending $35 for two foam pads that can't cost more than a couple of dollars to make.

Any tips on headband comfort? It feels like a wire hanger was threaded through the headband so that it would retain its rounded shape.

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #348 of 803
Here maybe...
http://turbulentlabs.com/grado-onyx-manta/

Here too
http://www.martincustomaudio.com/p/leather-headbands.html

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #349 of 803
Martin is on hiatus from what I understand (unless he recently started taking new orders?) so I'll probably go with the Manta. Thanks for that info TrollDragon.

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #351 of 803
  Ha! That looks about right. But seriously, there's nothing more comfy in general?

If you're willing to blow money on these, you can use Beyer pads. If you can get access to a 3D printer-scanner though I'd say buy the Beyer pads and have them scanned along with the Grado to fabricate the adapter. Unless you're doing an all-wood set-up, might as well just stick to a plastic adapter (cheaper too).

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #352 of 803

If you're willing to blow money on these, you can use Beyer pads. If you can get access to a 3D printer-scanner though I'd say buy the Beyer pads and have them scanned along with the Grado to fabricate the adapter. Unless you're doing an all-wood set-up, might as well just stick to a plastic adapter (cheaper too).

I've got the Grado already, just need the ear pads and a headband. Does Headphile sell the pads separately?

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #353 of 803
  I've got the Grado already, just need the ear pads and a headband. Does Headphile sell the pads separately?

Yes, that link goes to just the C-Pad Beyer earpad adapter. The prices just look like they're for the entire woody mod, but I guess if you're the one making each set by hand from nicely stained wood, you can really set prices that high.

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #356 of 803
u might want to check the HM5 velor from MP4Nation...i think it should fit..cant confirm.

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #358 of 803
Oh this thread is still active-ish, I have a question:

Anyone knows if the stock D1100 pads fit on a D1001/CAL? I read somewhere at the second page that they are interchangeable, but I have yet to see pics on Google showing a D1001 using a D1100 pads, as well as knowing that the size of the baffle of both headphones are different I think?

D1100's top/bottom baffle shape is equal, while D1001 pads have different top/bottom size if I'm not mistaken.

Oct 25, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #359 of 803
  The Denon AH-D1001, D1100, D510, D310 and Creative Aurvana Live earpads are all interchangeable.

this post??  y dun u pm him....but i seriously doubt it is interchangeable..unless u force it in...it is kinda snap-on type of fit from my recollection.

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #360 of 803

this post??  y dun u pm him....but i seriously doubt it is interchangeable..unless u force it in...it is kinda snap-on type of fit from my recollection.

No need to PM, I get to try it myself and the D1100 pads is too loose for the CAL/D1001. You can remove the plastic holder thingy so that you can use the stock D1100 pads to other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back