The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Jul 1, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #2,536 of 3,155
So I have been planning to purchase an iBasso DX90 for a few months, and have saved up about $125/mo for the purchase.  I have about $500 saved and was wondering if there are any new iBasso DAPs that will be released in the near future?  My current rig is a 5.5G RWA iMod which needs a battery replacement.

My big debate right now (that I have the money) is do I get the DX90, or invest the money in some stocks :p  Decisions, decisions!

Jul 1, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #2,537 of 3,155
i wanna ask around here where do u buy the extended battery that is thick and where to buy the batter cover that is bigger to accommodate the extended battery

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #2,539 of 3,155
  Is it me or is there a significant improvement in sound quality, particular trebles and upper mids from firmware 2.20 to 2.30??

It is what you hear, which is absolutely fine, its well-logged sound changes between firmwares. iBasso have commented they don't change the sound intentionally though. When they correct bugs and alter all the 'inside bits / brains' sound can change, they try and maintain it running optimum as possible. I ran some tests a few weeks ago, many hours actually testing several recent firmwares for DX90. I was using a rather transparent hybrid IEM.

Without a doubt, they sound different - I settled on V2.2.0.

Jul 1, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #2,540 of 3,155
  Is it me or is there a significant improvement in sound quality, particular trebles and upper mids from firmware 2.20 to 2.30??

It's excessively bright for my taste — I was unpleasantly surprised when I upgraded the FW. Others had remarked on this as well, and I was struck by how apparent the shift in sound was. I didn't like it, obviously, and went back to 2.2.0.

I realize that there is disagreement on this aspect of the update, but I personally hope that future FW updates won't feature that variety of sound.

Jul 1, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #2,541 of 3,155
  So I have been planning to purchase an iBasso DX90 for a few months, and have saved up about $125/mo for the purchase.  I have about $500 saved and was wondering if there are any new iBasso DAPs that will be released in the near future?  My current rig is a 5.5G RWA iMod which needs a battery replacement.

My big debate right now (that I have the money) is do I get the DX90, or invest the money in some stocks :p  Decisions, decisions!

stock is the better bet... i would wait for the next round of DAPs to be honest.  I think AK upped the game in terms of UI expectations and the rest will be putting out future players with a bigger emphasis in quality interface which the DX90 sorely needs.  I also think in the next round of DAPs you will see 256G as internal standard memory removing the most of the need for swapping SD cards.  i do think they will always have the slot however but will begin including sufficient internal flash to alleviate the need.

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #2,542 of 3,155
stock is the better bet... i would wait for the next round of DAPs to be honest.  I think AK upped the game in terms of UI expectations and the rest will be putting out future players with a bigger emphasis in quality interface which the DX90 sorely needs.  I also think in the next round of DAPs you will see 256G as internal standard memory removing the most of the need for swapping SD cards.  i do think they will always have the slot however but will begin including sufficient internal flash to alleviate the need.

Thanks, that's kinda what I figured. I since put it into stock. Snatched up some shares of Fitbit (FIT) stock, which has been killing it, and a few other IPOs. Fitbit actually rose 10+% today.

I'll spend the time waiting and doing some research. Definately looking forward to seeing the new hardware offered and UI :D

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #2,543 of 3,155

TRANCE has stated it pretty well. We do not try to change the sound. Most manufactures go through this with FW changes. Very small changes to the coding has an effect and we constantly work towards having a FW that impacts the sound as little as possible. We do not shape the sound or use anything to purposely change it. We have our own SW team and are dedicated to get all of you the best functioning for a dap that we can. This means that every day they are working on the SW to resolve issues or to add features but it does take time. It is like some say, a cat and mouse game at times.

iBasso please... You're playing a cat and a mouse game but perhaps with your customers. I didn't want to say it but for me DX90 is an unfinished product without a precise vision of how it should sounds. You don't try to change a sound signature, while it is probably the seventh firmware version during the year in which there is a significant change. It's like neverending student project and not a complete product (for quite some serious money). Can't you decide or are you unable to control how would you like your DX90 to be?

Starting from 2.0.0 with a great depth (soundstage vast and DEEP), nice bass, superb 3D-like spacious, airy sound, sophisticated, tasteful (making DX90 a mile better than DX50).

Then 2.0.5: wider soundstage but no depth. Wait, where is a 3-dimensional soundstage (the feature that most distinguishes DX90 from DX50)? There isn't. No more nice bass too.

Here it comes 2.1.0. Wider soundstage, a little depth, better neutrality but without all the smoothness, musicality of 2.0.0 and bass deficient too.

2.1.5 - very nice, there is a bass out there finally, better musicality then 2.1.0.

2.1.8 - 2.1.5 + even better bass, it's cool.

2.2.0. One week listening (6 hours a day) and DX90 landed in a drawer for a month. Plastic sound with strong emphasis on mids, iphone 5 sound signature.

And now this. 2.3.0...

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #2,544 of 3,155

iBasso please... You're playing a cat and a mouse game but perhaps with your customers. I didn't want to say it but for me DX90 is an unfinished product without a precise vision of how it should sounds. You don't try to change a sound signature, while it is probably the seventh firmware version during the year in which there is a significant change. It's like never ending student project and not a complete product (for quite some serious money). Can't you decide or are you unable to control how would you like your DX90 to be?

Every dap on headfi has had firmware updates that change the dap's sound. I'm not a software expert, but I can conclude that if it effects all dap's then ibasso is doing nothing wrong. The fact that they keep releasing new firmwares is a good thing, they are striving for perfection, but they are not obliged to, would you prefer they stopped making new firmwares? Your looking at it the wrong way, for all you know other daps are stuck with less than ideal firmware because the manufacturer has stopped updates, while ibasso continue to support and develop their products.

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #2,545 of 3,155
iBasso please... You're playing a cat and a mouse game but perhaps with your customers. I didn't want to say it but for me DX90 is an unfinished product without a precise vision of how it should sounds. You don't try to change a sound signature, while it is probably the seventh firmware version during the year in which there is a significant change. It's like neverending student project and not a complete product (for quite some serious money). Can't you decide or are you unable to control how would you like your DX90 to be?

Starting from 2.0.0 with a great depth (soundstage vast and DEEP), nice bass, superb 3D-like spacious, airy sound, sophisticated, tasteful (making DX90 a mile better than DX50).

Then 2.0.5: wider soundstage but no depth. Wait, where is a 3-dimensional soundstage (the feature that most distinguishes DX90 from DX50)? There isn't. No more nice bass too.

Here it comes 2.1.0. Wider soundstage, a little depth, better neutrality but without all the smoothness, musicality of 2.0.0 and bass deficient too.

2.1.5 - very nice, there is a bass out there finally, better musicality then 2.1.0.

2.1.8 - 2.1.5 + even better bass, it's cool.

2.2.0. One week listening (6 hours a day) and DX90 landed in a drawer for a month. Plastic sound with strong emphasis on mids, iphone 5 sound signature.

And now this. 2.3.0...
+1
Hardware: very good except the power section
Software: bad, please contract a proper software company

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #2,546 of 3,155

Every dap on headfi has had firmware updates that change the dap's sound. I'm not a software expert, but I can conclude that if it effects all dap's then ibasso is doing nothing wrong. The fact that they keep releasing new firmwares is a good thing, they are striving for perfection, but they are not obliged to, would you prefer they stopped making new firmwares? Your looking at it the wrong way, for all you know other daps are stuck with less than ideal firmware because the manufacturer has stopped updates, while ibasso continue to support and develop their products.

+1. I greatly appreciate the updates, and don't see it as indicative that initial release was less than fully baked. My iDSD micro offers firmware updates, my android phone offers next version of android OS, and even my LED TV has updating app's. No one is compelled to update, but I find them worthwhile options and reflecting a commitment to improve the user's experience. I am really enjoying 2.30 Lurker mod. at present after finding it over bright at first (perhaps brain burn-in?), and consider evaluating new firmwares a part of my audio journey. To each his or her own, though.

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #2,547 of 3,155
i like Dx90.review. i wanted to buy dx90. but im worrying about his sound quality and clarity with mp3 tracks. because. i have 100 in to 90 collection of mp3. i just wanted to know how Dx90. works with Mp3. trackas. 
sound quality and clarity is same with flac and mp3 tracks or mp3 tracks not play good ilke flac plad with dx90.
please inform me..might i can take right decision before buying any player.

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #2,548 of 3,155
i like Dx90.review. i wanted to buy dx90. but im worrying about his sound quality and clarity with mp3 tracks. because. i have 100 in to 90 collection of mp3. i just wanted to know how Dx90. works with Mp3. trackas. 
sound quality and clarity is same with flac and mp3 tracks or mp3 tracks not play good ilke flac plad with dx90.
please inform me..might i can take right decision before buying any player.

The DX90 performs quite well with high quality MP3 tracks but keep in mind that if you have tracks that are supposed to have a gapless transition between each other (like classic or live concerts), the DX90 will not be able to play them gaplessly if they are stored as MP3.

Jul 8, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #2,549 of 3,155
About people complaining about different sound with different firmwares: I like to discover my mysic from a different point of view, so thanks to iBasso for it's work.

Jul 8, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #2,550 of 3,155
I just recived my dx90 today, im pretty impressed but its not hard todo so coming from an iphone and samsung note3 user. The manual inside the box is all in chinese is there a translated english manual somewhere ?

Also if anyone has a link or way to purchase an extended battery and cover for it I went through alot of the pages in this thread but couldnt find a link and googling didnt show anything either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back