The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Jun 29, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #2,522 of 3,155
  Thanks for the reply mate.

I've just acquired a set of Earsonics SM64's and I'm not sure whether to get the iBasso or Fiio X5.

That's one question we cannot answer for you. 
wink.gif

Personally, I prefer the iBasso units as they have that edge in vibrance and extra bite in clarity. FiiO units tend to be smoother/warmer and more musical. I'm a fan of both brands though when sound comes to it I must take the one which sits better with me.

I also personally think iBasso touch screens and swiftness of navigating browsing by folder is pretty neat too.

Jun 29, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #2,523 of 3,155

That's one question we cannot answer for you. 
wink.gif

Personally, I prefer the iBasso units as they have that edge in vibrance and extra bite in clarity. FiiO units tend to be smoother/warmer and more musical. I'm a fan of both brands though when sound comes to it I must take the one which sits better with me.

I also personally think iBasso touch screens and swiftness of navigating browsing by folder is pretty neat too.

I picked up a DX90 from the Classifieds and as the SM64's are a bit on the warmer side, I think I made the right decision, cheers mate.

To save me spending days trawling through the thread, could somebody please let me know which 64gb SDHC Micro SD cards work well with this?

Cheers.

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #2,526 of 3,155

They sound similar to me in overall signature / tonality, that same semi lean - slightly bright detailed presentation, both share an iBasso house sound.

The main differences are DX90 has better layering, slightly wider soundstage and is more revealing of detail (especially on firmware v2.2.0). DX90 packs more power hence the lower run times and simply sounds a touch more classy / effortless at everything DX50 does without any strain on your ears or higher volumes required to extract detail.

When I run Tralucent 1Plus2 with DX50 it sounds good, (firmware V1.6.0) but notably better on DX90 taking all above aspects further.

My suggestion is, if you're thinking to buy DX50 as the cheaper way out that's fine if your budget isn't flexible. In saying that, you'll probably only want DX90 anyway once you get DX50 always wondering, may as well go for the end result. If you're wanting to upgrade from DX50 then the benefits are there.

DX90 is a good unit, providing you let it settle in (if new) and keep realistic expectations (especially firmware v.2.2.0)

For example, I prefer my 1Plus2 with DX90 over Cayin N6, Pono Player, Hum Pervasion, Shozy Alien, DX50.

Alright, Thanks! Probably gonna pick up a DX90.

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #2,527 of 3,155
  I picked up a DX90 from the Classifieds and as the SM64's are a bit on the warmer side, I think I made the right decision, cheers mate.

To save me spending days trawling through the thread, could somebody please let me know which 64gb SDHC Micro SD cards work well with this?

Cheers.

I'm using this one which works fine: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M55C1I2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #2,528 of 3,155
Sorry mate, I mean are there any brands that work well and one's to avoid, as I don't want to get incompatible cards.

It's not really fussy with brand cards (that I know of). Stick to SanDisk or Samsung if you want some options.

Jun 29, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #2,530 of 3,155
Hello all. When my really old but still going strong Cowon X5L hit the floor and died I went on a search to replace it. I found a different Cowon, a +9 as I thought my X5L sounded great and assumed (I know..) so should this newer model. Sound was nowhere near as good as the X5L and the screen on the +9 way too small for navigating the folders. The X5L had the ability to play continuously album after album (until the battery died if i forgot to turn it off). I really like that feature. I now own a DX-90. I am really liking it so far and can't wait to get it fully burned in to see how it will sound then. So, is there a way to set the device to play "continuous" (album after album)? I see play modes "Order", "Loop", "Shuffle" & "Repeat". "Order" looks the closest but the player stops at the end of the Album. Guessing I'm out of luck until maybe a Firmware update? hint hint...  
smile.gif

Jun 30, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #2,531 of 3,155
You could simply loop the playback on an album, so that it is virtually endless.

Another way of burning in is loading a lot of material onto the device, then going to 'My Music' --> 'All Music'.

You'll see a list of all the songs you've loaded and then you just play through.

Jun 30, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #2,532 of 3,155
one thing you would think they would have seeing as they sell it with a burn-in cable is some settings menu option to play a burn-in playlist pre-loaded that for example has repeating cycles of white, pink, grey noise, a few heavy bass drum tracks etc.  is there an option in Rockbox anywhere to play white noise without having to find a sample and load a track on there?  i'd like to use it to tune my new car stereo setup.

Jun 30, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #2,533 of 3,155
i don't believe in burn in. no changes after 200 hrs! actually i can't remember the first sound! so!....
confused.gif
 what's the difference?
btw it can be really useless since they're keep changing the sound signature with every fw update!

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #2,535 of 3,155
  one thing you would think they would have seeing as they sell it with a burn-in cable is some settings menu option to play a burn-in playlist pre-loaded that for example has repeating cycles of white, pink, grey noise, a few heavy bass drum tracks etc. 

No point in burning in a dap with white noise though, playing anything will have the same effect, just need current flowing through the circuitry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back