The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
May 7, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #2,251 of 3,155
  Hey Guys,
I saw a while back that iBasso has given us a new FW to get rid of the bugs.  I have LOTS of bugs (playing what it wants, when it wants, playing then stopping, can't find my album art, etc) from the previous FW and want to get rid of them.
I was just waiting for a Lurker version of this so I can enjoy the better fonts as well.
Has Lurker done one for the latest FW?
IF so, where can I find it?
I have downloaded a version 2.2.0-LO is that it?
IF so, is it working well, playing nicely?
Thanks and God Bless,
Wayne

yes, this is the lurker edition and yes and it sounds fantastic.

May 7, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #2,252 of 3,155
Really digging my DX90 so far. Sound is amazing with the A83s. 

A few smallish complaints:

-Re-scanning a card after the initial scan takes way too long. After the initial scan it seems it should be much quicker. 

-The way it recognized tags is crazy. Media Monkey is smart enough to know that Hammers of Misfortune and Hammers Of Misfortune are the same band...seems like the DX90 should too :wink: pair this up with Windows not wanting to let me change tags occasionally and my first problem above, I find myself using directory view more often which seems like a waste. 

-DAC crashed both my windows 10 and Windows 7 computer. It's not terribly important to me, but would be nice. 

-It's way too easy to accidentally select something while scrolling. 

All in all though, I"m very happy. Battery is adequate, SQ is soooo good and UI is really pretty good I think minus tag issues. 

May 7, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #2,254 of 3,155
 Battery is adequate,

get a couple [or more] spare batteries and an external charger.  you have effectively eternal battery power.  i've had my dx90 a year and i've never charged a battery while it was in the player.  you can swap in a new battery in under a minute, so there's always power available.

May 7, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #2,255 of 3,155
  get a couple [or more] spare batteries and an external charger.  you have effectively eternal battery power.  i've had my dx90 a year and i've never charged a battery while it was in the player.  you can swap in a new battery in under a minute, so there's always power available.

I picked up like a $15 3000mah credit card battery pack for it with a built in micro usb cable. Should be plenty to get me through long flights. 

I may pick up some extra batteries as well...we'll see how this goes. 

May 7, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #2,256 of 3,155
I had experienced 2 BSoD's on my Win7 PC until I realized my front usb ports don't have enough power or bandwidth. It also doesn't work at all on USB 3.0 ports. Raising the buffer in foobar2000 to something higher than 50 ms while plugged into native 2.0 ports on the back of my motherboard resolved the BSoD issues (after getting drivers to sign initially).

There is still delay of course, so not suitable for games or video. It's great for music and/or other audio only usage.

As for the scrolling/sensitivity issue, I'm 100% with you on that one. It's a minor gripe at best for me though as I don't use my DX90 all day or every day.

'Hmm...both of mine are laptops. I wonder if the ports just don't have the power. 

May 7, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #2,257 of 3,155
  Hi guys, I have some Audio Technica ATHESW9A on ear phones which I love. Just wondering how suitable they would be with the DX90 if I were to purchase one? I love music such as Jack Johnson, Mumford & Sons, Angus & Julia Stone etc.  
thanks

I use that combination a lot.  Very musical and non-fatiguing.

May 8, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #2,259 of 3,155

Thankyou for your reply.  I notice in your profile that you are an Environmental Engineer. Same here.  Thanks again.

After a long day working on SARA 313, ISO 14001 and Phase 2 Site Assessments, nothing beats chilling with your DX90 and favorite cans :)

May 9, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #2,260 of 3,155
  -DAC crashed both my windows 10 and Windows 7 computer. It's not terribly important to me, but would be nice. 

-It's way too easy to accidentally select something while scrolling. 

All in all though, I"m very happy. Battery is adequate, SQ is soooo good and UI is really pretty good I think minus tag issues. 

IBasso is working on new drivers and they say they will be out in a near future.

May 9, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #2,262 of 3,155
  Yesterday received my DX90 from mp4nation, 2-day free shipping from HK to USA!  I loaded v2.20 onto the thing, and fired it up.  My initial impressions sound-wise are VERY positive, but will hold off any further judgement until I have a couple hundred hours of burn-in and much more listening.

The DX90 was bought to replace a FIIO X1.  The FIIO is ok, but the DX90 is so much nicer to use.  The physical button layout, for me, is nearly perfect and feels like it everything is in exactly the right place.  Touch screen UI is pretty nice, but am still getting used to the sensitivity and the layout.  Nothing bad to say about it though.

My headsets will vary between Fidue A83 and Beyerdynamic T90.  The T90 at 250 ohms did seem a little more difficult to drive to the listening level I like, but oh the sound! 

i have ordered one from them too, may i know how long do they take to ship your item out? thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back