The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Apr 18, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #2,162 of 3,155
  I just received my DX90 today. Saturday delivery ftw, lol. Now the painstaking process of moving my music over to the microSD card begins. I don't have a card reader, so I'm stuck with just the DX90's usb connection to the PC. 5 MB/s isn't that great after being accustomed to usb 3.0 speeds. It still beats making a backup of my parents external HDD running on usb gen 1! Only having to move the music collection once is a bonus too. Updating the firmware was a breeze. Even the screen protector went on smooth for once... no cursed air bubbles or missing corners of the display. I may invest in some dust covers for the DX90; having the microSD slot exposed in such a way is unsettling to me personally. I'm used to my Xperia Z1's flaps/covers. Eventually I'll stop to actually listen to the DX90, hahaha. Maybe by the end of the day. I'm looking forward to it.

I can't stand the covers for the slots. I have never had a problem with the exposed card and frankly, if a card is in the slot, not much is going to get in there. My experience has been positive. And, congrats on your new player! 

Apr 18, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #2,163 of 3,155
  I just received my DX90 today. Saturday delivery ftw, lol. Now the painstaking process of moving my music over to the microSD card begins. I don't have a card reader, so I'm stuck with just the DX90's usb connection to the PC. 5 MB/s isn't that great after being accustomed to usb 3.0 speeds. It still beats making a backup of my parents external HDD running on usb gen 1! Only having to move the music collection once is a bonus too. Updating the firmware was a breeze. Even the screen protector went on smooth for once... no cursed air bubbles or missing corners of the display. I may invest in some dust covers for the DX90; having the microSD slot exposed in such a way is unsettling to me personally. I'm used to my Xperia Z1's flaps/covers. Eventually I'll stop to actually listen to the DX90, hahaha. Maybe by the end of the day. I'm looking forward to it.

Mine came with a perfectly installed screen protector...you couldn't tell it was there.  So you may have two installed now.

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #2,166 of 3,155
[sorry if this is redundant, as i also posted it in another thread.  but it was a huge "discovery"  - duh - for me, and perhaps it will be a useful tip for others.]

IF YOUR HEADPHONE OUTLET IS GIVING YOU PROBLEMS...

my headphone outlet has increasingly become positional.  i periodically have to jiggle or rotate the plug to get both channels.  i don't have the skills to open it up and try to fix it.  so i assumed that sooner or later it would be just too much of a pain, and i'd have to get a new dx90, or whatever ibasso comes out with next [assuming it has a similar quality/value ratio as the dx90]. 

then i remembered the line-out!  it doesn't automatically set itself to maximum; it's controlled by the same volume buttons as the headphone outlet.  so i plugged into the line-out and have no problems.  

some people have complained that the line-out isn't automatically at max, but i disagree.  it's not a bug; it's a feature.

Apr 19, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #2,167 of 3,155
Good temporary fix, but not exactly the most proper solution because the LO doesn't pump out as much juice as the HO. You can purchase a tiny amp and connect your headphones -> amp - > LO but that might be a burden. Otherwise it's a decent loss in SQ IMO.

I'd look into getting it fixed.

Apr 19, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #2,168 of 3,155
  Good temporary fix, but not exactly the most proper solution because the LO doesn't pump out as much juice as the HO. You can purchase a tiny amp and connect your headphones -> amp - > LO but that might be a burden. Otherwise it's a decent loss in SQ IMO.

I'd look into getting it fixed.

according to the ibasso website the output voltage of the line-out is between that of the low and medium gain on the headphone out.  i went back and forth between the 2 outlets just now [briefly, hardly a real test and not a blind one either] and had to adjust the volume just a little and didn't hear a difference.  someone on the other thread wondered about a difference in the impedances of the 2 outlets, but the line-out impedance is nowhere to be found.  and at least with my k812s at this moment it's pretty academic, since my ears aren't good enough to hear what difference may exist.

Apr 19, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #2,169 of 3,155
on doing some more a-b i think the ho has a bit more airiness.  also the ho is louder than the lo, in spite of being on low gain while the lo has an output voltage between low and medium.  so is that a possible effect of higher impedance?  i don't have the technical knowledge to theorize about the volume difference.  the difference in sound is subtle enough, however, that it took a while for me to be able to hear it.  

of course, now that i've heard it i can't ignore it.  that's the curse of listening hard!

i think i will check with ibasso about the possibility of a repair.

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #2,171 of 3,155
I have had the DX90 for a few days and am very pleased with it's performance with internal memory. I purchased it with the bundle on Amazon including 128gb micro card. I can't get files to load to card from my iMac, do I need to format the card? I have little experience with this. Any help would be appreciated!

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #2,172 of 3,155
I have had the DX90 for a few days and am very pleased with it's performance with internal memory. I purchased it with the bundle on Amazon including 128gb micro card. I can't get files to load to card from my iMac, do I need to format the card? I have little experience with this. Any help would be appreciated!

I always format to fat32 on my mac and the cards work with everything.

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #2,174 of 3,155
I found FW2.20L0 improves tonality, and texture from previous FW. The DX90 now sounds more like my NFB-1. Great job iBasso.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back