The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Jan 25, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #1,951 of 3,155

Hey Paul, since you are a member of Ibasso , can you shed some light on what is the sonic differences between the 2 available digital filters ?

sharp roll off (does this)
slow roll off (does that)

Thanx 
biggrin.gif

That was discussed here--->http://www.head-fi.org/t/697035/dx90-2x-sabre-1st-page-downloads-info-inst-dap-fw-2-1-5-lurker0-fw-mod/10320#post_11211154

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #1,952 of 3,155
iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jan 28, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #1,953 of 3,155

Yes there is not much to add. Some people hear a difference, some do not. With some recordings I can hear a difference and some I can not. As a practice I use slow roll-off but some people like the other setting.The DX90 gives you the choice.

Hi.

I have a question about DX90.

The DX90 support DSF files. Is it able to play native or it converts DSF files to PCM?

Thanks.

Jan 28, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #1,955 of 3,155
  Yes there is not much to add. Some people hear a difference, some do not. With some recordings I can hear a difference and some I can not. As a practice I use slow roll-off but some people like the other setting.The DX90 gives you the choice.

There is a guy in a Russian forum, who can do precise measurements. In particular, he published measurements of rectangular pulses with different filter settings. The pictures are clearly different, but... then, based on his measurements, he claims that slow roll-off works for the first track only! Then, the DAC turns back to the fast roll-off, though the settings in the UI remain the same. It may have sense if Mango player sets some DAC parameters for each track, but does DF settings only once.

Could you please deny or confirm this with your engineers?

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #1,956 of 3,155
  There is a guy in a Russian forum, who can do precise measurements. In particular, he published measurements of rectangular pulses with different filter settings. The pictures are clearly different, but... then, based on his measurements, he claims that slow roll-off works for the first track only! Then, the DAC turns back to the fast roll-off, though the settings in the UI remain the same. It may have sense if Mango player sets some DAC parameters for each track, but does DF settings only once.

Could you please deny or confirm this with your engineers?

I will check this out. Thank you.

I am having this looked into. If there is an issue, it corrected in the next FW update.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jan 31, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #1,957 of 3,155
Just returned the DX90 wasn't too impressed with the sound. It's good but I felt the F887 was better, although I just listened to it for a few hours and never burned it in. I just felt that the clarity was much better with the F880 and it was much more open and airy sounding, while the DX90 sounded quite closed in in comparison. There is also some sharpness/unnaturalness in the treble and a slight muffle/haziness in the mids. details was good though. Overall the F887 just sounds much clearer and more emotional/exciting because vocals and instruments sounds much closer. Guess I will just get the ZX1 since I'm running out of storage in the F880.

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #1,958 of 3,155
  Just returned the DX90 wasn't too impressed with the sound. It's good but I felt the F887 was better, although I just listened to it for a few hours and never burned it in. I just felt that the clarity was much better with the F880 and it was much more open and airy sounding, while the DX90 sounded quite closed in in comparison. There is also some sharpness/unnaturalness in the treble and a slight muffle/haziness in the mids. details was good though. Overall the F887 just sounds much clearer and more emotional/exciting because vocals and instruments sounds much closer. Guess I will just get the ZX1 since I'm running out of storage in the F880.

I found my DX90 a little harsh or aggressive at first - this was with about 15 hours on it, kind of restricted or withheld. When I switched the digital filter to slow roll-off that harshness seemed to settle for me. I have Sony F806 Walkman so can relate to what you're saying. While I'm not the firmest believer in burn in I was about to sell my DX90 because I felt similar though I've decided let it stick around until I manually get up a few hundred hours, I must say I'm enjoying it more now than before for whatever reasons. I also have a DX50 here which has hundreds of hours on it - its very interesting the results A/Bing them.

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #1,959 of 3,155

I found my DX90 a little harsh or aggressive at first - this was with about 15 hours on it, kind of restricted or withheld. When I switched the digital filter to slow roll-off that harshness seemed to settle for me. I have Sony F806 Walkman so can relate to what you're saying. While I'm not the firmest believer in burn in I was about to sell my DX90 because I felt similar though I've decided let it stick around until I manually get up a few hundred hours, I must say I'm enjoying it more now than before for whatever reasons. I also have a DX50 here which has hundreds of hours on it - its very interesting the results A/Bing them.

Yeah there is some problems with the F887 as well, I feel having a tiny bit more warmth would be perfect, but apart from that I think they sound really good. I don't know how much better the DX90 would be after few hundred hours of burn in, but I just didn't feel as enveloped in my music as I do from the F887 or Z1070 (maybe I just like the Sony house sound). 

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #1,960 of 3,155
Yeah there is some problems with the F887 as well, I feel having a tiny bit more warmth would be perfect, but apart from that I think they sound really good. I don't know how much better the DX90 would be after few hundred hours of burn in, but I just didn't feel as enveloped in my music as I do from the F887 or Z1070 (maybe I just like the Sony house sound). 

All I know is, the first few days my DX90 left me underwhelmed, not unimpressed, just wanting more, so a few hours I would have returned mine in a heart beat. But, I've stuck with it because I can hear the potential, for example my Sony NWZ-F806 hasn't got the same detail levels, especially when I use a capable IEM.

What headphone / IEM were you using? Not saying you made the wrong choice, you like the Sony and I understand why, but I also think if I hadn't given the DX90 a good chance mentally and any physical usage I'd probably regret selling it when I listen now today.

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #1,961 of 3,155
i don't know why but i like my DX90J better with hardcore music like RATM or Run the Jewels. with smooth music like Norah Jones or Civil Wars, i like ZX1 better.
my DX90J is relatively new (around 50hrs) so it could change with time though.

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #1,962 of 3,155
i don't know why but i like my DX90J better with hardcore music like RATM or Run the Jewels. with smooth music like Norah Jones or Civil Wars, i like ZX1 better.
my DX90J is relatively new (around 50hrs) so it could change with time though.

Pushing everything you mentioned aside which DAP in your opinion exhibits the most detail? Say for example, you use an IEM of your choice, play a Norah Jones track and listen to her vocals. Which DAP takes the lead? (just detail)

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #1,963 of 3,155
All I know is, the first few days my DX90 left me underwhelmed, not unimpressed, just wanting more, so a few hours I would have returned mine in a heart beat. But, I've stuck with it because I can hear the potential, for example my Sony NWZ-F806 hasn't got the same detail levels, especially when I use a capable IEM.

What headphone / IEM were you using? Not saying you made the wrong choice, you like the Sony and I understand why, but I also think if I hadn't given the DX90 a good chance mentally and any physical usage I'd probably regret selling it when I listen now today.

IM02, CKR9 and the CK100.

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #1,964 of 3,155
Pushing everything you mentioned aside which DAP in your opinion exhibits the most detail? Say for example, you use an IEM of your choice, play a Norah Jones track and listen to her vocals. Which DAP takes the lead? (just detail)

i don't have a lot of experiences so i don't know any better but to my ears, DX90J takes the lead in terms of details. ZX1 sounds more...smooth, less fatiguing i guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back