The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Sep 15, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #1,728 of 3,155
it's a different filter that's part of making the dac square waves into signwaves. They have different phase characters along with their differing slopes and it in turn affects the sound. Slow is generally prefered but if you like it more analytical, sharp (which was the standard for years) is available.

Sep 15, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #1,729 of 3,155
  it's a different filter that's part of making the dac square waves into signwaves. They have different phase characters along with their differing slopes and it in turn affects the sound. Slow is generally prefered but if you like it more analytical, sharp (which was the standard for years) is available.

so its like an eq right?
there were only two choices in mine, the slow and the sharp.
can i turn it off?

Sep 16, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #1,731 of 3,155

What I've read is that Slow roll off has a better impulse response (measurement) and thus sounds more analog and less digital.

Sep 16, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #1,732 of 3,155

so its like an eq right?
there were only two choices in mine, the slow and the sharp.
can i turn it off?

These are out of band filters so even though they affect the character, there will be no measurable EQ involved. A DAC can't operate without this filter and maricilus is correct about the ringing. There are always trade offs and a slow filter could have a higher noise floor but with the way these oversample etc. that can be negligible in band. The other filter type not used here is minimum phase which completely eliminates pre-ring but has a greatly increased post ring.

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #1,733 of 3,155
  Great thread. I am close to pulling the trigger on DX90 to replace my aging Cowon J3.Chord Hugo is rare air for my budget but I'm thinking of the iFi micro-DSD. Abyone tried this combo.? Is it straightforward to go from the DX90 coax. digital output to iDSD...I'm a bit confused 'cause it's backplate shows digital input via USB, a config. I'm not familiar with: Here's the iDSD backplate: http://imgur.com/N0w6LCO Not certain what type of cable would be required to support a digital interconnect between DX90 and this bad boy, so any help for this relative noob would be appreciated.Thanks!

+1 on this combo... Any thoughts guys?

These two posts are 2 weeks old but they haven't been directly answered to so… I'm new to the DX90 but I prefer the DX90 (coaxial out) -> Micro iDSD setup over my old iPhone 5 (CCK) -> Micro iDSD setup due to what I hear to be better overall sound quality. This has nothing to do with coaxial being better than USB or with the latter having better jitter as the micro iDSD has excellent USB performance that equals coaxial performance. The better sound quality from the DX90 compared from coming from the iPhone would probably have something to do to the iPhone's "Core Audio." 

Imagine the sound quality of a laptop running Audirvana Plus (bypasses Macbook Core Audio) to the micro iDSD but in a portable setup. With regards to the cable, the male coaxial to male 3.5mm that comes with the DX90 is perfect for portable use. 

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #1,734 of 3,155

Thank you for a helpful reply, Maricius. As an aside, should Ibe concerned about investing in the DX90 noting the company's website has been down for weeks. It seems a little unusual for a strong company releasing flagship products to go silent...wouldn't want to purchase if they are on shakey ground and future firmware updates, support etc...may not be available.

Sep 16, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #1,736 of 3,155
I wouldn't worry and the site is up.

Thanks for your reply, goodvibes.

Only the downloads page appears for all links at ibasso.com...is there a different web URL for the full site?

Sep 16, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #1,737 of 3,155
  I wouldn't worry and the site is up.

Just the download section is up. It's going up and down.

But I haven't read any negative feedback concerning the iBasso support (and I read a lot before buying it), so I wouldn't worry either. I taked mine from mp4nation, pretty good reputation (and very noticeable, free brainwavz r3 v.2)

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #1,738 of 3,155
hello guys.
just another question:

can you recommend a stand for this dap (dx90)
im looking for one in case there is any available online or via amazon perhaps?
something that could hold the dap, while its on the table.

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #1,739 of 3,155

Thank you for a helpful reply, Maricius. As an aside, should Ibe concerned about investing in the DX90 noting the company's website has been down for weeks. It seems a little unusual for a strong company releasing flagship products to go silent...wouldn't want to purchase if they are on shakey ground and future firmware updates, support etc...may not be available.

I bought my DX90 just last Saturday and the website was already down. When I bought it, it was already on firmware v2.1.0 but then I changed in to Lurker's modded firmware which is downloadable here. I wouldn't worry and I'm sure I can live without future firmware updates (though I'd appreciate a firmware that would increase battery life but not at the cost of performance).

Sep 17, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #1,740 of 3,155
I bought my DX90 just last Saturday and the website was already down. When I bought it, it was already on firmware v2.1.0 but then I changed in to Lurker's modded firmware which is downloadable here. I wouldn't worry and I'm sure I can live without future firmware updates (though I'd appreciate a firmware that would increase battery life but not at the cost of performance).

I tried to locate the lurker firmware but it was a dead link. Could you provide the location of where you obtained this firmware?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back