The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Jun 13, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #1,426 of 3,155
  I will also use the second battery for traveling, if the sound improve with the samsung is just a bonus, this DAP sound already amazing to my ears, now I want a new IEM to replace my IE80 at my job, the IE800 can be just a perfect pairing with this DAP 
biggrin.gif

I love the Dita Answers with this DAP... You might want to check the Dita thread out if you are considering the IE800's.   I don't even have the Truth version, but I'd say they are still the best I've heard.  The build quality is also very impressive, the only thing I am not a fan of is the rubbery cable, which I have to make sure it doesn't have a twist so the cable stays behind my ears.  It does have the "chin strap" though.   FAD Heaven VI is also really enjoyable with the DX90, IMO they are very good with vocals. 

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #1,427 of 3,155
Had a full day of listening session with the DX90 internal amp high gain + LCD-2.2 on a range of music genre.
My comparative setup is Beyer DT880 600 with Little Dot mk3 on Mullard M8100 and Electro harmonix 6H30Pi-EH.
Probably not very fair but at least it gives a baseline to what I am describing..

My impression is that the DX90 can make the LCD2.2 sing decently - but it does not get near the level of my previous setup.
The sound sounds like it is trapped within a sphere that is kept at a small distance from you. There is a veil on the sound produced.
The bass and impact is still decent but there is a lot of details missing. Mid and highs are weak. Overall the sound is anaemic but still has element of attractiveness.

I feel that the DX90 cannot drive a planar to its potential and I the sound that I am getting from the DX90/LCD2.2 is only a "bare pass" the moment.

Just waiting for my Soloist SL to arrive and hopefully it will sound better than my old setup.

Jun 13, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #1,428 of 3,155
Quote:
  I love the Dita Answers with this DAP... You might want to check the Dita thread out if you are considering the IE800's.   I don't even have the Truth version, but I'd say they are still the best I've heard.  The build quality is also very impressive, the only thing I am not a fan of is the rubbery cable, which I have to make sure it doesn't have a twist so the cable stays behind my ears.  It does have the "chin strap" though.   FAD Heaven VI is also really enjoyable with the DX90, IMO they are very good with vocals. 

I will read the reviews to get an idea of the signature, thanks is nice to know 
smile.gif

Jun 13, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #1,429 of 3,155
So for a longer battery life, I bought a X-longer 4200mAh 3.7 volts battery.

It is rated 0.1 volts lower than the stock battery, and I'm afraid it does have an effect on the sound.
Sounds are obviously less defined, less texture, smaller soundstage etc.

Did some extensive AB-between the two batteries, using the LO of the DX90 -> O2 -> akg k702 annies.

So yeah, watch the specs closely when buying a new battery!

So ehm, what seems to be the consensus on the best battery out there? The original samsung battery? 

Jun 13, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #1,430 of 3,155
Yeah I would love to find anything with longer run time as that's my biggest gripe with the player so far... Charging every day, sometimes even a 2nd time in a day... I was spoiled by the ZX1's battery life before this.

Jun 13, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #1,431 of 3,155
Yeah I would love to find anything with longer run time as that's my biggest gripe with the player so far... Charging every day, sometimes even a 2nd time in a day... I was spoiled by the ZX1's battery life before this.

Yep.
Then again, the certainty that you have to charge it every night is actually not too bad.

You never get the "can I survive tomorrow with 40% or should i charge" doubts.

Jun 13, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #1,432 of 3,155
I got the Vorzuge Pure ii, and it improves the DX90.  I don't hear the bass boost out of the LO, and It just sounds much better than HPO.  I guess skipping the analog circuitry after the DAC, and tapping to the DAC showing off what the mobile ES9018 can do.  
biggrin.gif
  Vorz is the sizzle, just makes averything sound good.  It's just so damn transparent when it comes to keeping details intact.  I tried it out of clip HPO, it was much cleaner, go figure.  

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #1,433 of 3,155
I have owned the Audio-gd NFB-1ES for 4 years and the 1st moment I listened to the DX90 I already knew it is the amp section which is limiting the DAP (or the ES9018 chip).

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #1,434 of 3,155
  I have owned the Audio-gd NFB-1ES for 4 years and the 1st moment I listened to the DX90 I already knew it is the amp section which is limiting the DAP (or the ES9018 chip).

Most likely the amp section is terrible as the LO sounds better.  I think the DX100 amp section is pretty good when I compared to pure ii.  I think there is a difference in sonic quality of ES9018 non-mobile version which is in the DX100 vs the ES9018K2M, the mobile version in the DX90.  The mobile version does sound more forward, and the non-mobile version sounds more laid back and more detailed to my ears.  I compared both LOs.

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #1,435 of 3,155
  I got the Vorzuge Pure ii, and it improves the DX90.  I don't hear the bass boost out of the LO, and It just sounds much better than HPO.  I guess skipping the analog circuitry after the DAC, and tapping to the DAC showing off what the mobile ES9018 can do.  
biggrin.gif
  Vorz is the sizzle, just makes averything sound good.  It's just so damn transparent when it comes to keeping details intact.  I tried it out of clip HPO, it was much cleaner, go figure.  

We are also comparing the HP out on a $420 DAP and expecting it to compete with a $560 introductory price ($600 future price) dedicated high quality portable amp . Plus the size of the Pure ii is almost as big as the DX90 for just the amp so they have the space needed...  I also agree with your post
beerchug.gif
  and I'm also loving my Pure ii after 1 day of use and still think it will improve further with break-in.

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #1,436 of 3,155
We'll I have compared the amp section of the Dx90 to the fi.Q with NOS Japanese tantalum resistors and non polar Black Gates and the DX90 amp section does well. I think there are plenty of people enjoying the complete package that the DX90 is without any complaints. The DX90 proves itself to me with 560's, TH900 and opens up the JH13 pros, getting them out of my head. What amazes me is that the amp in the DX90 can be pushed hard and the sound field does not collapse nor is there any distortion while maintaining a musical presentation. 

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #1,437 of 3,155
The DX90 amp section doesn't sound different than LO/O2 with my Roxanne and JH16. It only sound different with my cans (T1, DT250) which obviously the O2 can deliver more power to the cans and it translates into more energy on the highs  and impact on the bass.

While out and about I don't need to amp DX90. But at my desk home, I enjoy it more thru  LO and O2.

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #1,438 of 3,155
To me, the O2 amp doesn't do well with sources other than ODAC.  I've tried all the DAPs(X5, DX90, DX100, ipod classics), and it seems to block off some details.  I heard it with the X5, it sounded overly clear, and for the DX90, it sounded worse.  For some reason Vorguze doesn't cut off the details, and refines the rest.  

If you guys want to hear details, try India.arie - Acoustic Soul.  So damn amazing with Vorzuge on both X5 and DX90 LO.

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #1,439 of 3,155
  Most likely the amp section is terrible as the LO sounds better.  I think the DX100 amp section is pretty good when I compared to pure ii.  I think there is a difference in sonic quality of ES9018 non-mobile version which is in the DX100 vs the ES9018K2M, the mobile version in the DX90.  The mobile version does sound more forward, and the non-mobile version sounds more laid back and more detailed to my ears.  I compared both LOs.

I think there is always trade off there as the ES9018K2M is supposed to be less demanding for good power supply. It is obvious the DX100 is having a better power supply circuit section compare to that of the DX90 to better use the ES9018.

Jun 14, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #1,440 of 3,155

Not the volume control? 

I think there is always trade off there as the ES9018K2M is supposed to be less demanding for good power supply. It is obvious the DX100 is having a better power supply circuit section compare to that of the DX90 to better use the ES9018.

More capacity and possibly different voltages. That's different than qualitatively better. In fact, the DX90 behavior into demanding loads shows it to be a very well designed power supply. It appears to have great recovery and little bounce. It probably isn't strong enough to drive some of the cans that have tested well with it, at least at high volume, yet no one mentions distortion, hard clipping or radical change of character at volume. Those are the signs of a well designed PS and amp combo that may be flattening peaks but not ringing or slow to recover. It will be somewhat current limited into inefficient fullsize phones with a lot of mass to control but it's stable. Doesn't go to sound which one may or may not care for but it does point to excellent design. iBasso has probably sacrificed a higher power rating for this type of performance and sound. It's no longer difficult to cheaply ramp up voltages for better numbers but there are trade offs. iBasso has chosen theirs and I personally like their choices.

Others may have preferred more power for things like LCD 2s or some other very inefficient home phone etc but to me, I prefer a portable be designed to do the best it can for portable transducers. If you want to use it with something like that at home, having an amp on hand when you've spent a grand or more on the headphone anyway shouldn't be an issue and would probably make any DAP with a LO better, whether it could comfortably drive the load or not.

Every DAP is a compromise. I appreciate companies that get that and make hard choices instead of trying to be everything for everybody and miss the best part. We're getting close with things that can do it all like the AK240 (haven't heard but at a price) and HM901 (great but too big, same with DX100). Calyx looked interesting but it's unwieldy as well and also not a powerhouse at over twice the price of the very portable DX90. 

The DX90 is a great design with sound engineering. Doesn't mean anyone has to like it's sound etc but it's the wrong unit on which to be picking nits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back