The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Apr 19, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #271 of 3,155

Now just music files, still get 1-2 second cut off.

But I have left .album_img folder in memory and .audio_data folder on card as I have a feeling they are DX90 produced? (as not recognising them, although card has been in X5)

Decided to delete these folders, on grounds that DX90 will re-create, and it appears ..... I don't lose last second or two now. Tried a few album tracks and counter moved to end
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #272 of 3,155

This would be a lot easier to swallow if the X5 and DX90 differed in some way more than the DAC used.  Their other differences aren't going to affect the sound, screen, ui, battery size etc.  Otherwise same implementation of the i/v, low pass filter, voltage gain and current buffers.  Granted dual vs single opamps, portable vs home buffers but the same circuit.  The X5 using the a single dac, dual opamps and portable buffers freed up a lot of board space.  Was it well used?  No idea.

I'm not campaigning nor asking you to swallow anything. Simply relating my personal experience. Nothing to argue about unless you don't accept that I can be allowed to hear what I do.

I actually prefer the DAC that the X5 uses to what's in the AKs. The X5 circuit is also not inferior but I prefer the later AKs. I don't see what parts have to do with what one hears unless compared in the exact same environment(device). From a techie standpoint they all measure well enough to not matter what bits are in the box. Seems folks pick their techie battles based on personal bias. I don't care what's in the box and I have a clue about those bits.

This is my 1st experience of any iBasso product. My expectations for the X5 and DX90 were similar. My experience was not. Others will have a different take and I'm fine with that as well. If Fiio and iBasso built the exact same DAC to output circuit and did their independent power supplies, circuit layout, packaging, UI's and codecs, I guarantee that they would not sound the same. I just don't get how somebody would suppose such similarity when we have whole threads dedicated to differences from simply swapping FWs.

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #273 of 3,155

I got X5 and intend to try Dx90 before get it but after read all the thing u said about DX90 i make a  blind-buy. Cant wait to try it with my Re600

I didn't try ZX1 but F880 cant touch X5 in Sound quality 

I hope that you like it as much as I do. Not everyone will, just like many prefer a jh16 to jh13 etc. For me, there's also no comparison in which of those sounds more natural either.

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #274 of 3,155

This would be a lot easier to swallow if the X5 and DX90 differed in some way more than the DAC used.  Their other differences aren't going to affect the sound, screen, ui, battery size etc.  Otherwise same implementation of the i/v, low pass filter, voltage gain and current buffers.  Granted dual vs single opamps, portable vs home buffers but the same circuit.  The X5 using the a single dac, dual opamps and portable buffers freed up a lot of board space.  Was it well used?  No idea.

Any electrical engineer will tell you that if there is any difference in a circuit, no matter how small, the performance of the circuit will change in some way. You already mention two not-so-minor changes in implementation; single vs. dual DAC, and differences in the buffers. Even if the components are identical, it is the implementation that is different; ergo, the circuit's performance will not be the same which could (yes, I stress could) affect sound quality.
Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #276 of 3,155
  Any electrical engineer will tell you that if there is any difference in a circuit, no matter how small, the performance of the circuit will change in some way.

Absolutely.  But from worse than the AK100 Mk2 to better than the AK120?  That's a vast gap.

Would add that you are definitely allowed to have and state your opinion freely.

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #277 of 3,155
I certainly didn't say that as I prefer both those AKs to the x5 but obviously, different folks will have different opinions and it seems the AK120 price has some dismissing it's sound. Everybody should listen to as much as they can and decide for themselves.

I personally don't have a Sabre preference and don't use them in my home kit. If I have a preference, it's for a ladder DAC but it would be difficult to use optimally in a DAP as the best examples of the PCM1704 need a lot more outboard circuitry. I also like the DAC in the X5.

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #278 of 3,155
This is how I read it.  Correct me if I don't have it right...

DX90 > AK120 > AK100 Mk2 > X5

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #279 of 3,155
Don't know yet if DX90 is better than AKs since it's been a while and have only listened to a cold dx90 for a wee bit but I can't say that's incorrect as I do think I prefer it. It's more that the X5 didn't appeal to me, just my opinion. Don't see the big deal. I know others love it and that's fine too.

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #280 of 3,155

Absolutely.  But from worse than the AK100 Mk2 to better than the AK120?  That's a vast gap.

Would add that you are definitely allowed to have and state your opinion freely.

I can't speak to the AK sound qualities so I can't venture an opinion related to them. Yes, we all are allowed to have and state our opinions freely, that's the beauty of these forums! :D And your opinion is just as valuable and no less important than anyone elses on the forum.
-HK sends

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #281 of 3,155
I certainly didn't say that as I prefer both those AKs to the x5 but obviously, different folks will have different opinions and it seems the AK120 price has some dismissing it's sound. Everybody should listen to as much as they can and decide for themselves.

I personally don't have a Sabre preference and don't use them in my home kit. If I have a preference, it's for a ladder DAC but it would be difficult to use optimally in a DAP as the best examples of the PCM1704 need a lot more outboard circuitry. I also like the DAC in the X5.

I prefer a Claymore over a Sabre... :evil:
-HK sends

Apr 19, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #282 of 3,155
Hi All,

Got my DX90 two days ago, I let it sit and burn in for two days before listen.

For the record, I have R10 from Hibino, AK120 and been listening to the ZX1 for a months. I'm always trying to find my ultimate portable source.

Though the R10 have power and fantastic sound (I really love the sound out of this player), sometime it's just too bulky and the UI definitely need some works.

the AK120? Great Sound, and love the form factor, been using it for the last 6 months until I bought the ZX1.

The ZX1 have everything I want but lacking in storage, but I can deal with it, the sound is more details (may be not more details, but the AK120 is warmer than the ZX, the ZX1 have sparkling treble which may give me a impression of more details) and spacious than the AK120, and I love the Sony house sound.

Today I pick up the DX90 and try to give it a listen, to be honest, I didn't expect much. Yes, I'm sure it will sound great, but man, does it sound great? It sound REALLY GREAT.

It have the sound I love from the R10, the imaging and dynamic of the Sony. Did I talk about the details? The details is just amazing. Every instrument are in the right place and sound effortless.

Sorry for my lack of vocabulary and english is not my mother language. I just want to say, my AK120 and R10 will be going up for sales.

I will keep my ZX1 and the DX90. They are both good in different area.

But the DX90 really surprise me, really really great sound.

p.s I'm using TG334.

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #283 of 3,155
It is nice having your own findings confirmed by others when you have taken a blind punt on a player. All my life I have tried to listen to hifi before buying. I had never heard an ibasso but got caught up in the expectancy of this player and ordered within 10 minutes of release.

It just sounds better on every play. Neil Young, Jeff Beck live, Keb Mo, Transatlantic, all sounding so good.

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #284 of 3,155
I don't how to put it due to my lack of terms.

One of the reason I love the r10 are the details, imaging. Music and instrument have that kind of weight that I don't find in the AK120. Now I get 95% of the R10 sound in DX90.

Personally, I rate these dap as follow.

For sound

HDP R10 > DX90 > ZX1 > AK120

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #285 of 3,155
  This is how I read it.  Correct me if I don't have it right...

DX90 > AK120 > AK100 Mk2 > X5

At this level of performance we are probably talking "horses for courses" with signature preferences and HP pairing being the most important aspects. I tend to think of this crowd in terms of the AK's being the shallow beauty queens with the 120 being much hotter, the X5 being the highly skilled star quarterback with brute force, and the DX90 being the popular, highly talented rich kid with all the toys who is very fun to hang out with. At a high school party, you would want all of them to show up. 
wink_face.gif

For my purposes, I have both the X5 and the DX90 as they serve different purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back