The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Apr 19, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #256 of 3,155

Got my set hrs ago... initial comparisons are same from jamato and many bros here. The better layers, separation and wider soundstage are all very obvious during the first listen... With my TG334 it does sound bright initially but after burning in for 2 hrs the brightness seem tamed down .. maybe i got use to the sound.. 

Apr 19, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #257 of 3,155
Well I don't know if it's good enough for you, my SE535 (well known for being bright and they surely do) now sings on the DX90 and jazz on it is just unbelievable, I keep looking around to see if there isn't a sax player hiding in the corner of my room, let's say the separation is insane. I won't even touch vocals and instruments on it, you have to listen to it to believe it.
smily_headphones1.gif

wow! that makes me want to hit the buy button from amazon right away! thanks for the insight!

Apr 19, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #260 of 3,155
haha. not so subtle huh? :D  i saw your review about the x5 - very detailed and helpful - so are you saying this is better? (just confirming again before that buy button gets clicked on it's own. lol)

I can't say that, they both have their character, personality. :wink:
What I can say is you can't go wrong with either.

At the end it's your own choice not mine. :beerchug:

Apr 19, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #262 of 3,155
the back cover for DX90 is a bitch to open... with 1 sticker on the player itself and another one on the back cover...

Apr 19, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #263 of 3,155
Are you saying DX50 has always lost the last two seconds and never been fixed? Suddenly noticed some abrubt endings yesterday, when no fadebout!

Yes it does. At least for ALAC files. It's not noticeable for tracks that fades out or has embedded silent notes at the end. If you play a live album or albums with tracks that does not fade out or are connected to each other they are noticeable and annoying. Try Aerosmith's "Get a grip" and The Beatles "Abbey Road" albums.

Apr 19, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #264 of 3,155
Same here, for a moment I thought I had a special unit without the bug
biggrin.gif

It was puzzling me people complaining about that when I couldn't hear it.
blink.gif

No, making sure no art on card, just music files, still get 1-2 second cut off.

But I have left .album_img folder in memory and .audio_data folder on card as I have a feeling they are DX90 produced? (as not recognising them, although card has been in X5)

Apr 19, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #266 of 3,155

Yes it does. At least for ALAC files. It's not noticeable for tracks that fades out or has embedded silent notes at the end. If you play a live album or albums with tracks that does not fade out or are connected to each other they are noticeable and annoying. Try Aerosmith's "Get a grip" and The Beatles "Abbey Road" albums.

I have no ALAC, but FLAC and Hi-Res FLAC do it! As you say, only noticeable on certain albums, but counter shows it clearly.

Apr 19, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #267 of 3,155

I have no ALAC, but FLAC and Hi-Res FLAC do it! As you say, only noticeable on certain albums, but counter shows it clearly.

It's a behavior carried over from DX50, which was worse on previous FW. That is why I am only using Rockbox on DX50 and not looking back. I hope Rockbox makes it soon to DX90 as well.

Apr 19, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #268 of 3,155
Do you use the stock pb2?

Edit: I remember that the opamps are rollable here, but just had a second look on it and see that it already comes with different ones, so I guess there is no stock :)
This amp looks interesting, so how is it looking from the inside/what are u using? Need to get into opamps and their characteristics, any link u can provide?

In addition to the stock ibasso PB2 OPamps: I use these

1. Lme49990 OPamps
2. MUSES01 & MUSES02 OPamps
3. Topflight kit bespoked by Ron in view of the above choices. Ha5002 buffers x4 , plus 4x single Opamp class A adaptors and plus 2x dual Opamp class A adaptors. But he will bespoke to your requirements.

I find the MUSES01 and HA5002 buffers most enjoyable at the moment.

I already have two OPA627s, so I suspect I may be tempted to buy 2 more to try them out as well in due course

The fun with the Pb2 is that you can try differnt sound signatures with the different combinations of OPamps and Buffers.

Apr 19, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #269 of 3,155
  I'd take the mk2 and 120 over the x5. Non so with the DX90. I don't have an ak120 any more but I certainly don't think the DX90 sounds worse. Other than UI, being a touch bigger, and having slightly less play time, it compares pretty favorably..

I got X5 and intend to try Dx90 before get it but after read all the thing u said about DX90 i make a  blind-buy. Cant wait to try it with my Re600

guys. some people here are desperate to hear a bit of dx90 and sony f88x & zx1 comparison on headphones. anyone who own those? :)

I didn't try ZX1 but F880 cant touch X5 in Sound quality 

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #270 of 3,155
  I'd take the mk2 and 120 over the x5. Non so with the DX90.

This would be a lot easier to swallow if the X5 and DX90 differed in some way more than the DAC used.  Their other differences aren't going to affect the sound, screen, ui, battery size etc.  Otherwise same implementation of the i/v, low pass filter, voltage gain and current buffers.  Granted dual vs single opamps, portable vs home buffers but the same circuit.  The X5 using the a single dac, dual opamps and portable buffers freed up a lot of board space.  Was it well used?  No idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back