The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Apr 14, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #33 of 3,155
Very interesting this new DAP. Its been a while since I had one, it was the HM-602 which I liked a lot. I have a question: can this be used as a DAC connected to a mac without having to power it on manually so it basically powers on by itself when the mac is turned on?

Apr 14, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #34 of 3,155
The reason for asking the coaxial is that the dx90 has upgraded to a dual core CPU and not sure if this would yield a higher digital out performance. Anyway, will give it a try when its available locally. Thanks.

Apr 14, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #35 of 3,155
The reason for asking the coaxial is that the dx90 has upgraded to a dual core CPU and not sure if this would yield a higher digital out performance. Anyway, will give it a try when its available locally. Thanks.

It's doubtful. The dual-core CPU may only improve UI response, card scanning and navigation. But the actual digital file decoding and transmission to an eternal DAC should have the very least of improvement. If there is any at all it won't be audible.

As a pure transport, DX50 actually makes more sense since it's way cheaper. For the price, DX90 has way better DAC and amp just to be bypassed.

Apr 15, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #39 of 3,155

It's doubtful. The dual-core CPU may only improve UI response, card scanning and navigation. But the actual digital file decoding and transmission to an eternal DAC should have the very least of improvement. If there is any at all it won't be audible.

As a pure transport, DX50 actually makes more sense since it's way cheaper. For the price, DX90 has way better DAC and amp just to be bypassed.

Most interesting, and thank you for that information.  Makes me think twice as I always have preferred an amp.  Have the DX50 and paired it with an O2 and at times when portable BH2.  Very enjoyable.

Apr 15, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #40 of 3,155

I see. Thanks. I often think the DX50 UI is really good already. Maybe I dont know better...

Apr 15, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #41 of 3,155
Most interesting, and thank you for that information.  Makes me think twice as I always have preferred an amp.  Have the DX50 and paired it with an O2 and at times when portable BH2.  Very enjoyable.

At home or desktop setup DX50 + Rockbox paired with O2 or UHA-6SMKII is hard to beat. I even doubt DX90 would be better alone. However, on a walkabout usage scenario I think is where DX90 will beat DX50 hands down.

Apr 15, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #42 of 3,155
At home or desktop setup DX50 + Rockbox paired with O2 or UHA-6SMKII is hard to beat. I even doubt DX90 would be better alone. However, on a walkabout usage scenario I think is where DX90 will beat DX50 hands down.

Do we know yet if a comparison has been made between the DX90 and Fiio X5?  frankly, I have many unanswered questions and do I need to walkabout with a $400 + DAP.  The headphones I use while out or on a flight somewhere varies with my mood and music selection. 

Apr 15, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #43 of 3,155
Higher performance how? With prettier zeroes and ones?
wink.gif

The DX50 has problems keeping up with 24/192 stored on the SD card (the clicking bug, confirmed by Ibasso). The DX90 should not have this issue, making the zeroes and ones a lot prettier.

Apr 15, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #45 of 3,155
The DX50 has problems keeping up with 24/192 stored on the SD card (the clicking bug, confirmed by Ibasso). The DX90 should not have this issue, making the zeroes and ones a lot prettier.

... and faster.

Loves nicely laid out ones and zeros :D

Seriously, speed at that sample frequency can be an issue, I might need the output one day if I ever buy a desktop amp/dac so that means I should really pay attention to its function and performance. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back