The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Oct 6, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #1,771 of 3,155
Just received my DX90 and very, very impressed with the fit, finish and sound, even out of the box before burn-in. I do note that the EQ produces substantial volume boost even when set flat on all frequencies... does it introduce any distortion or loss of fidelity to leave it on and flat or is it better to set it to off and raise the volume on the player (or in my case, ifi iDSD dac / amp)? Thoughts, opinions welcomed. Thanks!

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #1,772 of 3,155
  I do note that the EQ produces substantial volume boost even when set flat on all frequencies

Exactly opposite: EQ produces volume loss when it is turned ON. The label "On" in the left bottom corner means "Tap me to turn EQ On", and the EQ is off when it is visible. It is the action, not the state.

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #1,773 of 3,155
CL Duet ^

+1. That's what comes to mind immediately for me, especially if you can go balanced. You can also consider the ALO audio MK3B, which has a bit more power behind them, but to me, the Duet is a bit cleaner.

Both are great choices though!

+2 on the Duet!! It is a wonderful portable amp. I find it to be more powerful to the ALO RX though

Was thinking also for the CL Duet to pair with the DX90.. Do you guys think the duet can power the Alpha Dogs too to its best, or close to best? (Alpha prime soon)

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #1,774 of 3,155
  Just received my DX90 and very, very impressed with the fit, finish and sound, even out of the box before burn-in. I do note that the EQ produces substantial volume boost even when set flat on all frequencies... does it introduce any distortion or loss of fidelity to leave it on and flat or is it better to set it to off and raise the volume on the player (or in my case, ifi iDSD dac / amp)? Thoughts, opinions welcomed. Thanks!

From what I know, turning on EQ means it's no longer Bit Perfect

Oct 6, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #1,775 of 3,155
Exactly opposite: EQ produces volume loss when it is turned ON. The label "On" in the left bottom corner means "Tap me to turn EQ On", and the EQ is off when it is visible. It is the action, not the state.

Ah, don't I feel stupid. Thank you for clarifying....much appreciated.

Oct 6, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #1,776 of 3,155

Ah, don't I feel stupid. Thank you for clarifying....much appreciated.

No need to. I don't get the logic either! APPLY or TURN OFF would be without confusion.

Oct 7, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #1,778 of 3,155
@boombobby289

definitely significantly better in terms of soundstage, separation and clarity. i'm not a bass person so didn't pay attention to that. I upgraded from a dx50 to dx90 because I made the mistake of auditioning the dx90. couldn't stop thinking about the sound impression after that. I feel that the price difference is justified. hope this helps

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #1,780 of 3,155
what firmware are you guys using? mine came with 2.1 and i am not getting as much bass as i had with dx50. i've read that firmware 2.0 is a more preferred version. I am not sure, or maybe i should upgrade my IEMs too after upgrading my source.

Oct 14, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #1,782 of 3,155
  what firmware are you guys using? mine came with 2.1 and i am not getting as much bass as i had with dx50. i've read that firmware 2.0 is a more preferred version. I am not sure, or maybe i should upgrade my IEMs too after upgrading my source.

How much time do you have on the 90? It takes at least 150 hours of burn in for the bass to be well defined and more powerful. I would use the supplied burn in cable and just hit repeat. 

Oct 14, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #1,783 of 3,155
How much time do you have on the 90? It takes at least 150 hours of burn in for the bass to be well defined and more powerful. I would use the supplied burn in cable and just hit repeat. 

not sure, for sure it hasn't been burnt that long yet. I just got  mine last weekend. btw, i am using sennheiser cx985. 

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #1,784 of 3,155

+1

And don't forget the brain burn :wink:

DX90 has a lot of treble extend, so I was focusing only on treble / high-medium the first two weeks (not intentionally) . It's sound a lot more balanced now. I can't really say if it is hardware or brain burning effect (I have not a new device for testing), but I don't really care ^_^' .

Oct 15, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #1,785 of 3,155

+1

And don't forget the brain burn :wink:

DX90 has a lot of treble extend, so I was focusing only on treble / high-medium the first two weeks (not intentionally) . It's sound a lot more balanced now. I can't really say if it is hardware or brain burning effect (I have not a new device for testing), but I don't really care ^_^' .

after almost another day of burn in (burn in cable and continuous use), i am finding my dx90 better sounding than before.:) 

and now that you mentioned brain burn, i am not sure if the player sounds better or my taste is just starting to shift as i appreciate its sq more now - after continuous use. what is important is i am enjoying. 
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back