The DT880 is in, how does it compare to HD600 and SR325...
Jun 6, 2003 at 10:27 AM Post #16 of 22
i just can't understand how people even debate about that
tongue.gif

the beyers are much beter, in almost everything. (maybe the headband gets a bit uncomfy after a long listen, but you can change their angle and continue)
my ART DI/O DAC and cables are on their way to israel. i already bought a decent amp (Earmax Pro). i'll order the Meier Cross-1 in a few days i guess (my minus in the bank is trying to fight me but i guess it wouldn't work).
only then, when i'll have gear respected enough for people to relay on my comments (i think reviewing the beyers with a crossfeed is a must, they love crossfeed!), i'll make a comparative review between the two.

Jun 6, 2003 at 10:57 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
Solude,

I am glad to hear that you like the initial impressions. You had me worried for a while. Good luck on matching an amp to it. What amps sound good with a 250 ohm load?

A meta should do quite nicely. It has no problems driving the senns at 300 ohms.

Great review, by the way. One question: when you say the cymbals are recessed, are you saying that the headphones aren't bright?

Jun 6, 2003 at 12:00 PM Post #18 of 22
andrzejpw...

Quote:

...when you say the cymbals are recessed, are you saying that the headphones aren't bright?

...well, solude and I both love the DT 880, but we seem to have a different perception with the treble and the reproduction of cymbals. To my ears the treble is somewhat enhanced, and thus cymbals are all but recessed. The balance as a whole is rather on the warm and surely not on the bright side, despite the slight treble accentuation. This may be due to the slightly declining midrange response and the following treble hump. Nevertheless it's one of the most neutral dynamic headphones I know.

peacesign.gif

attachment.php

Jun 6, 2003 at 1:29 PM Post #19 of 22
What Jazz said
tongue.gif
For what its worth its not that the cymbals are recessed compared to other headphones, just recessed compared to real life.

Its a problem that starts at the studio. A good number of people, drummers included would really like it if cymbals weren't so loud so in the recording their level is reduced to protect you from the high level bite and shine.

So the Beyer is slightly recessed in comparison to real life but not in comparison to other headphones/speakers/the recording.

Curious to see what an ASL Head will do. Heck who knows, maybe DT931 with Head will be magic, maybe DT880 guess we'll find out. Problem is getting me to do it, sounds so good right from my source I don't see the point in putting out money
frown.gif

Jun 6, 2003 at 3:12 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Geek
Solude,

I'm glad you're enjoying the 880s.

I have had the exact opposite impressions of the HD600s that you have, however. Assuming a proper setup for the HD600s (class A amp / player), low-level reproduction is eerily natural. Of course, it does sound kind of recessed with a poor setup at low volume.

I feel alone; it seems that many who believe the HD600 are not the top dynamic headphone believe so for reasons that completely contradict my own personal experiences with them.

Cheers,
Geek

Geek,

You are not alone. Those who likes the HD600 tends to be the ones who live with them for a long time. I stress "live with them". Not AB every headphones on the planet and keep switching between them.

There I said it. I feel better now.
biggrin.gif

As for the additional cords and what not I prefer the stock Senn HD600. Had a red clou once. Didn't like it. Something was not right.

Jun 6, 2003 at 3:48 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

As for the additional cords and what not I prefer the stock Senn HD600. Had a red clou once. Didn't like it. Something was not right.

Sounds like a candidate for team Equinox..
biggrin.gif
Seriously, I tried Clou, I liked the stock cable better. From what people were saying here, the Equinox seemed to preserve the overall tonal balance of the stock, so that's the way I went.

And I couldn't be happier. No urgent desires to try the Cardas, thanks very much, although I would if I had the chance. They turned the "great" midrange into "musical" midrange, at least in my experience.

Jun 6, 2003 at 7:00 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Solude
For what its worth its not that the cymbals are recessed compared to other headphones, just recessed compared to real life.

Curious to see what an ASL Head will do. Heck who knows, maybe DT931 with Head will be magic, maybe DT880; guess we'll find out. Problem is getting me to do it; it sounds so good right from my source that I don't see the point in putting out money
frown.gif

There will be a difference. Part of the DT880s "magic" is it's ability to sound uncompressed and have a high dynamic range. So if anything, symbals should sound good. But because of it's very wide soundstaging, they may sound volume-recessed (as opposed to frequency recessed). It will take some getting used to.

listen to the DT880 for 2 hours then switch to the DT931s.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Play the same CDs overs again. I think you'll perceive a difference.

And, if the DT931 does sound so good in your setup, then don't spend the money for the DT880. Why bother? If you are satisfied, one can not be more satisfied. One will only be dis-satisfied with what you had. That nagging thought may play havoc with your present enjoyment of your DT880s. (like anything else).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back