The DSP Rolling & How-To Thread
Mar 12, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #121 of 155
I do have one query: If I don't want to use my laptop as a processing source (somewhat power inefficient), are there any devices out there with onboard DSPs (e.g. Analog Devices SHARC, or SigmaDSP) that I can program via my laptop or even smart phone? I'd expect it to be apart of a DAC...

I know MiniDSP exists, but what else is out there?

Mar 12, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #122 of 155
I do have one query: If I don't want to use my laptop as a processing source (somewhat power inefficient), are there any devices out there with onboard DSPs (e.g. Analog Devices SHARC, or SigmaDSP) that I can program via my laptop or even smart phone? I'd expect it to be apart of a DAC...

I know MiniDSP exists, but what else is out there?

There are lots of outboard DSP units built for pro audio applications, (so you have a more performance-friendly unit, or something to augment your main PC) but they may not have the level of control or fidelity you're looking for. They also tend to be pretty pricey. Example: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...MIkIiup7rn2QIVwlqGCh198gwcEAQYASABEgKQzvD_BwE

DACs seem to rarely have much in the way of serious DSP, I think it's because the chips aren't over-engineered - you don't want a chip sitting there with millions of CPU cycles going to waste, so you build the chip to convert audio back and forth but nothing else.

May 14, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #126 of 155
BS2BR is another crossfeed VST plugin. It is based on the original BS2B.

Advantages:
1. It includes a 64-bit version that can be used in Equalizer APO. By comparison, the original BS2B VST plugin is currently available in 32-bit only.
2. It lets you configure the settings by opening its panel within Equalizer APO. By comparison, if you use Case's Meier Crossfeed VST plugin (64-bit), and you try to open its panel in Equalizer APO, it will crash.

Issues:
Equalizer APO 1.2 lets you choose a preset in BS2BR, but if you choose the Off preset, and you make changes to Crossfeed level and Cutoff frequency, the plugin seems to use the same values as the Liqube preset.

Last edited:
May 26, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #128 of 155
Fantastic thread very useful info I've used mini dsp in the past also rew and a number of dsp solutions.

Question anyone know of dsp and convolution software that will run on the gpu using cuda etc. I'd prefer to utilise my gpus brute processing power over buying a better cpu motherboard etc.

May 26, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #129 of 155
Fantastic thread very useful info I've used mini dsp in the past also rew and a number of dsp solutions.

Question anyone know of dsp and convolution software that will run on the gpu using cuda etc. I'd prefer to utilise my gpus brute processing power over buying a better cpu motherboard etc.

For 2ch -> 2ch processing, I can't imagine that most modern CPUs couldn't handle the load like butter. What kind of CPU loads are you seeing for your current DSP?

May 26, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #130 of 155
It's not that the loads are overly high at the moment but I'm not using a lot of dsp however this is going to be changing in the near future as I start to run serious equalisation on my gear. I purchased a dsp ears to help - far from perfect but it's to assist in getting a relatively flat response up to around 5k before I tweak settings with the cans on my head. I really just want to have a decent set of tools including dsp software to begin with. I'm aware that there will be intrinsic delay which for playback of audio isn't a concern. I've previously used rew and minidsp equipment when building speakers and I'm aware that dsp is only part of the equation.

May 26, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #131 of 155
It's not that the loads are overly high at the moment but I'm not using a lot of dsp however this is going to be changing in the near future as I start to run serious equalisation on my gear. I purchased a dsp ears to help - far from perfect but it's to assist in getting a relatively flat response up to around 5k before I tweak settings with the cans on my head. I really just want to have a decent set of tools including dsp software to begin with. I'm aware that there will be intrinsic delay which for playback of audio isn't a concern. I've previously used rew and minidsp equipment when building speakers and I'm aware that dsp is only part of the equation.

EQ for stereo ain't no thang, though. The DSP system should combine all your individual adjustments into a single mono filter, so there's really only one round of convolution happening per channel. Now for something like a surround-to-headphone DSP you might need more horsepower. There you'd have 6 or 8 or more mono-to-stereo filters, and if you're keeping things at native resolution then you can have some higher bit rates. Things that would add more heft would be head tracking and reverb. Check out what the new Smyth Realiser uses.

Last edited:
May 26, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #132 of 155
Thanks rrod just had a bit of a look around very few plugins out there running on gpus I'll have a play around with some of the info on this thread and come back to it.

May 31, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #134 of 155
To Whomever Would Like to Assist:

In advance, I would like to extend my sincere appreciation to those who are willing to assist, and I apologize for my loquaciousness...
smile.png
...and I certainly hope this is the most appropriate forum in which to post this inquiry...

An OLD audiophile here, (periodically seeking ever improving sound reproduction for 30+ years...
shocked.png
...), so, though my BASIC understanding of DSP is "OK", the plethora of available MiniDSP products here are a bit daunting if not confusing...

Essentially, I possess one connected audio system, with two output legs/chains, or, imagine a wishbone, or a river, in which a single river source splits into two rivers, (Both the signal sources and the D/A converter being the single river before it splits into two rivers, the digital signals of which are converted by a D/A converter, the analog signals then continuing their journeys downstream on the two separate rivers... :) ...

Signal Sources: (1) "Garden variety" OPPO digital disc player, output via standard digital SPDIF, terminated with BNC connector at D/A end,
(2) Computer USB to to Schiit Audio EITR, outputing to D/A connector via standard digital SPDIF interconnect...

D/A Converter: Schiit Audio Yggdrasil...which outputs the converted/analogue signal via balanced interconnects to my Primary/System (1),
as well as outputs the converted/analogue signal via unbalanced/single-ended interconnects to my secondary/System (2)

System (1):
Pre-amplifier: Schiit Audio Freya, (fully balanced and receiving the balanced signal output from the D/A converter--->balanced output to Marchand Electronics XM44-2 crossover, (Linkwitz-Riley, 24 dB/Oct. @ 60 Hz), which drives an Aragon 4004 amp., via single-ended outputs/inputs, which drives a pair of Lipinski Sound L-707 monitors. the active crossover also driving a pair of active, SVS subwoofers via single-ended outputs/inputs.

System (2):
Integrated amp.: Schiit Audio Ragnarok:, (receiving single-ended output from the D/A converter)---> the amplifier section driving a pair of Audience Audio Clairaudient 1+1 V2+ monitors, and via single-ended interconnects, feeding a pair of JL Audio Dominion D-108 subwoofers (possessing Linkwitz-Riley 24/dB/Oct. low-pass filters only, crossover set at approx. 60 Hz.).

I am very seriously considering upgrading my system(s) with a DSP device, and it appears that a MiniDSP box might be my best solution...and that the DDRC-22D might be the best of those solutions for me...Unless one can a case for the new MiniDSP SHD or SHD "Studio" units.

1. I VERY much like the sonic qualities of my Schiit Audio Yggdrasil D/A converter, and wish to do NOTHING that would adversely affect its qualities. THEREFORE might I assume that I must implement a MiniDSP unit upstream of my D/A converter...which then would suggest the DDRC-22D...(UNLESS I can be convinced that a MiniDSP unit installed downstream of my D/A converter would NOT adversely affect the sound of the system...I understand that the input/output design of the "22D" would allow me to channel both the digital disc player digital output AS WELL AS my computer digital output into/through the "22D"...

2. IDEALLY, I would love to possess a single DSP unit which could correct/compensate for frequency level and timing output issues in both my primary AND secondary stereo systems simultaneously, or at least possess the ability measure/store compensation algorithms for both systems and then simply select/enact the appropriate compensation algorithm for the stereo system to which I am listening at a given time.

However, if this is NOT possible, and I must select only one stereo system for which the DSP could measure/correct/compensate, is there a distinct advantage to selecting a stereo system with an active crossover, or would the MiniDSP unit do an equally good job compensating for both frequency and timing issues with either stereo system? (the secondary system currently lacks a dedicated/active x-over between the mini-monitors and the subwoofers, such that there is more overlap between the upward frequency output of the subs and downward freq. output of the monitors...Subwoofer drivers and forward monitor drivers are on the same plane relative to the listener, but subwoofers possess inherent15 millisecond group delay, and monitors are crossover-less design)...Can the "22D" compensate for the inherent 15 millisecond group delay in the subwoofers?...

2. Does MiniDSP manufacture an active crossover that is, (in terms of sonic qualities), at least the equivalent of the Marchand active x-over, which I could set at 60Hz./24 dB./Oct. ...?...

3. Are there any alternative options utilizing the MiniDSP units that would meet my needs, that would DO NO HARM to my audio chain/reproduction...(the 1+1 mini monitors are a crossover-less design, such that they generate well nigh NO phase issues within their output range, and I do not want to compromise THOSE inherent qualities..., nor do I want to compromise the sonic qualities possessed by the Yggdrasil D/A converter...)

I genuinely appreciate any and all input/suggestions/recommendations, and avidly look forward to your responses!

THANK YOU ALL.

Sincerely,
T.A. Kogstrom

May 31, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #135 of 155
A DSP is by definition going to alter the sound of your signal. That's its job. The way to find out if you like the difference it makes is to try it and see. Do I understand you to mean that you only want to adjust the EQ and timing, because just about any garden variety AVR has that built in. Your Opponent player might even be able to do that. Also, do I understand correctly that you have a stereo system, not multichannel? If so, what kind of timing adjustment are you looking to make?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back