The Doorbell rang this morning...
Jul 31, 2002 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Fadamacka

100+ Head-Fier
And there stood a deliveryman from the airport. With my brand new (the previous owner had tried them on three times) Grado RS1's! I've never rushed so quickly up the stairs to my room in my life, i'm certain. I tore the packaging open, and there they were... Beautiful, imho. (This NOT an objective text
smily_headphones1.gif
) Two seconds later, I was listening to the first record. And I'm certain that you've all heard this one before, but they REALLY blew me away!! When I write this, I've been listening to them for 4-5 hours straight, and my opinion on the cans remains the same, but I guess I really need a decent amp for these babies (Dollars out the window, AGAIN!). And two, does the bass and the overall treble/midrange sort of calm down after a couple of weeks? I kinda hope so, 'cos I feel that the bass isn't really that deep. (I guess that the cans have been playing for a total of 15 hours max.) A bit more warmth couldn't hurt either, but this is merely a complaint... A fantastic pair of headsets, so far.

Jul 31, 2002 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 16
Fadamacka,

Wow, Congratulations !

An amp might well help the bottom end, grab your cash and head for the window again !

Nice avatar !

Jul 31, 2002 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 16
Congratulations, Fadamacka. You have some wonderful headphones there. Enjoy!

Quote:

....does the bass and the overall treble/midrange sort of calm down after a couple of weeks?

Could be sooner........if you get a Grado RA-1to drive them.
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2002 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 16
Heh, thanks, it was a mate of mine that made the avatar actually I've managed to drag two of my mates in this as well, after 10 minutes of listening (One of them is ordering a HD600 with the Corda amp, the other one is keen on the rs2's ) As for the amp, I was thinking a CHA 47 or grados own? Can someone explain the price, sound, looks etc for the cha 47? Can i have it "tailormade" for the rs1's?

Jul 31, 2002 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 16
If you have the lovely RS-1, and you do, you shouldn't get cheap with the amp.

I feel that the CHA 47 is only good as a budget amp, but it's not really all that great, just good for being so cheap.

I would try to let someone build you a custom META instead, or you can get a RA-1.

Jul 31, 2002 at 1:15 AM Post #8 of 16
Please tell! My budget can stretch to 300 bucks max. And I won't have the money until next month. :p That meta sounds interresting. Or is the safest shot to buy a RA1? *asks alot*

Jul 31, 2002 at 2:20 AM Post #13 of 16
I can second the RS-1/RA-1 recommendation. That combo works very well together indeed.

Jul 31, 2002 at 3:39 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

However, please keep in mind that the META will sound DIFFERENT depending on the parts used

Very, very true.
smily_headphones1.gif

The meta I have drives my MSII very well.
The bass is extended and deep.
The RA-1 is also a good choice but since it is so neutral it just might walk you down that path of audio upgrade"itist" that will soon have you spending more money on sources and cables.
In other words, the Meta will get you going and you might like the sound so much that you will be happy.
The RA-1 will let you know if something is not right.
You get a better source, and it gets better.
You get better cables, and it get better.
...and so on and so on.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 31, 2002 at 4:45 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Fadamacka
And there stood a deliveryman from the airport. With my brand new (the previous owner had tried them on three times) Grado RS1's! I've never rushed so quickly up the stairs to my room in my life, i'm certain. I tore the packaging open, and there they were... Beautiful, imho. (This NOT an objective text
smily_headphones1.gif
) Two seconds later, I was listening to the first record. And I'm certain that you've all heard this one before, but they REALLY blew me away!! When I write this, I've been listening to them for 4-5 hours straight, and my opinion on the cans remains the same, but I guess I really need a decent amp for these babies (Dollars out the window, AGAIN!). And two, does the bass and the overall treble/midrange sort of calm down after a couple of weeks? I kinda hope so, 'cos I feel that the bass isn't really that deep. (I guess that the cans have been playing for a total of 15 hours max.) A bit more warmth couldn't hurt either, but this is merely a complaint... A fantastic pair of headsets, so far.

I know that feeling also, my ER-4s & Total Airhead finally arrived from Headroom... long story, suffice to say Headroom is true to their word Customer Satisfcation. Thanks Roz, Sam & Mike!

Concerning your new RS1s... drool!!! Next upgrade I think for my ageing SR80s! Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back