The Dog House
Aug 15, 2010 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Yonv

Head-Fier
Wow I have been here b4. I came home from CanJam 2010 with a Woo Audio WA 6 SE and found myself there, It cost me an apple iPad to get out.

Have fun with this 1.

Aug 22, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #3 of 12

It's cost me a new patio set, jewelry....most times I can sneak a new purchase in,,,,I have so much stuff she doesn't notice, but Klipsch La Scalas were kinda hard to sneak into the house!

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 12
The Woo 6 SE is one of the best amps out there so you did good. 

However, not every wife gets to understand the head fi way of thinking. Rejoice and be happy of your great rig but in the end, keep your rig and the fury will pass. 

I will say this: Good audio has longevity. It may be a painful purchase in the beginning but it will last many many years. So don't worry.

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #7 of 12
One of the all time great commercial spoofs.
How did I get into the DogHouse.

Part I.

1983 was the year and May was looming-the month of our wedding.
It was 'customary' for the Groom to give his Bride-to-Be a "pre-wedding gift" or so I was told.
What should I get her?? I know: a 1983 Sony CFS-500 BoomBox (that I could conveniently use at my stag party...)

Part 2.

Her Reaction:

My Reaction:

Part 3.

Result:

DogHouse.15 years.

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #8 of 12
One of the all time great commercial spoofs.
How did I get into the DogHouse.
Part I.
1983 was the year and May was looming-the month of our wedding.
It was 'customary' for the Groom to give his Bride-to-Be a "pre-wedding gift" or so I was told.
What should I get her?? I know: a 1983 Sony CFS-500 BoomBox (that I could conveniently use at my stag party...)

Part 2.
Her Reaction:
My Reaction:
Part 3.
Result:
DogHouse.15 years.

Even when I was in my early 20s I knew what was a good idea for a gift for a woman and what wasn't. What on earth made you think that "gift" was anything that resembled a good idea? Lmao

Nov 28, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #9 of 12
Just putting the DogHouse moment out there.

I would never claim to be the worlds best boyfriend...

At the time,since the occasion was foisted upon me or 'optional' in my mind,I really thought I could pull it off.

Meaning,give the gift to her and because we were a couple,lay claim to it in the future,you are so right- 'LMAO',it just did not work.

Hey it was the 80's and there was nothing like bringing a BoomBox to the beach on a hot summer day,different times they were.

Not as if I forgot a Birthday,which I think is worse than a DogHouse purchase.

Sure,at age 22 I was aware that gift ideas for your girlfriend or wife are easy – they just need to be romantic, personal, meaningful, lasting and most of all, thoughtful.

I'd sold my two motorcycles,favorite car and lived the life of a hermit crab for over a year,just to afford the wedding and a house for us to live in.

I guess that BoomBox represented some future good times that I did not want to let go of.

Probably a Defcon 2 warning,now I enjoy being a mid-life Bachelor,so no more worries on that front!

We have all teetered on the verge of being in the DogHouse,I would bank on that.

She asked me: "what are we doing for Valentine's Day this year?"
I responded: "I don't know. Why don't you surprise me?"
Life has been hard since.

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #11 of 12
Just putting the DogHouse moment out there.

I would never claim to be the worlds best boyfriend...

At the time,since the occasion was foisted upon me or 'optional' in my mind,I really thought I could pull it off.

Meaning,give the gift to her and because we were a couple,lay claim to it in the future,you are so right- 'LMAO',it just did not work.

Hey it was the 80's and there was nothing like bringing a BoomBox to the beach on a hot summer day,different times they were.

Not as if I forgot a Birthday,which I think is worse than a DogHouse purchase.

Sure,at age 22 I was aware that gift ideas for your girlfriend or wife are easy – they just need to be romantic, personal, meaningful, lasting and most of all, thoughtful.

I'd sold my two motorcycles,favorite car and lived the life of a hermit crab for over a year,just to afford the wedding and a house for us to live in.

I guess that BoomBox represented some future good times that I did not want to let go of.

Probably a Defcon 2 warning,now I enjoy being a mid-life Bachelor,so no more worries on that front!

We have all teetered on the verge of being in the DogHouse,I would bank on that.

She asked me: "what are we doing for Valentine's Day this year?"
I responded: "I don't know. Why don't you surprise me?"
Life has been hard since.

When I was married I was in the Doghouse far too many times than I can recall. Gift giving wasn't one of them though. lol. She was probably just upset at you because it wasn't audiophile quality. Lmao

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #12 of 12
Just in time to save me at Christmas is this article in today's Toronto Star paper (Dana Flavelle staff reporter ).

The 10 worst gifts.

1. The cute but annoying toy: Remember Tickle Me Elmo. Now there’s Chicken Dance Elmo, Singing and Dancing Elmo. And so on. Totally adorable until your 1-year-old decides to dance along to the same high-pitched, low-quality tune for the 100th time.

2. The ugly Christmas sweater: Usually red, made from acrylic and covered in green felt trees, fluffy snowflakes or sparkles. Worn once for a few hours on Christmas Day to impress the giver and then shoved in a bottom drawer, never to be seen again.

3. The traditional Christmas cake: It doesn’t matter whether the recipe has been in your family for four generations. Nobody likes it. Even when it’s soaked in rum. Often heavy, they make great doorstops.

4. Self-improvement gifts: Anything that encourages dieting, exercise or bathing more often. It screams, “You’re not good enough.”

5. A framed picture of yourself: Really?

6. Sexy lingerie: Husbands beware.At best, your wife will think it’s a gift for you. At worst, she’ll wonder if you’re bored with your sex life.

7. For him: A Thigh Master (see self-improvement gifts above).Wall-mounted signing fish. A Chia Pet (animal-shaped pottery that grows grass as hair.) Opera tickets (unless he really likes opera).

8. Worst preteen girl gift: A pile of dollar store items, including flimsy, badly made, fluorescent-coloured hair clips, pencil crayons and lip gloss.

9. Re-gifts: Though more acceptable than in the past, they must be handled with care. It must be rewrapped in new paper. It must genuinely suit the recipient. And it must not end up going back to the person who originally sent it!

10. Free gifts: Many stores are giving away freebies with purchases. It’s tempting, but like the sample sets at the cosmetic counter, these are instantly recognizable for what they’re worth: Nothing.

Lastly,is this hilarious ad from a men's magazine,could you imagine actually getting this as a stocking stuffer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back